NYC--safest public transport to Cloisters

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question: what's the best and safest way to get to the Cloisters from downtown Manhattan, preferably using public transportation? Possibilities might include:

--the M4 bus.

--the "A" subway line to 190th St. and than either walking the rest of the way or taking the M4 bus the rest of the way.

--a taxi.

Many thanks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM

I take the 1 train north and get off at Dyckman street. It's about a 4 block walk (uphill most of the way) to get to the entrance of the Cloisters.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks, gb944. Am looking at mapquest and am assuming this subway stop is at the corner of Dyckman and Nagle. Question: do you walk down Dyckman or Nagle to the Cloisters?
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM

I walk on Dyckman towards the park (The Cloisters is in Fort Tryon Park), then use one of the paths (around Dyckman and Broadway) in the park to walk up towards the museum. On a nice day, it's a nice walk.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM

From where "downtown"?

The A train would be faster, since it skips many stops, while the 1 train makes every stop. I've always taken the A train.

The M4 bus begins in midtown. From midtown, it can take close to 2 hours to reach the Cloisters depending on traffic.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM

Yes take the A train to 190th St. and walk up through Ft. Tryon Park, it is a really beautiful park, safe during the day, and quite honestly fairly safe in the evening, since the Cafe is open at night as well. (Cafe is owned by Bette Middler).

I do that trip to the Cloisters several times during the summer as it is my favorite museum in the city.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM

I forgot to mention there is a WONDERFUL Indian restaurant on Ft. Washington AVe and 187th St, called Kismat, well worth a stop for lunch or dinner after your trip to the Cloisters and there is another subway stop just a couple of blocks south of there as well.

Have a GREAT time.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:34 AM

If you want to see NYC and have time, the M4 bus is certainly a cross section of the upper part of the city. It starts on the East side, crosses to the West, passes through bits of Harlem, past Columbia University, the Cathedral of St John the Divine, and on and on.

One of the highlights is the restaurant where Seinfeld and friends hung out (right side, north bound).

Only a masochist would take it both ways.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Old Apr 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM

The Cloisters is going to be an uphill walk because it's on the top of a hill. It's a nice walk, though.

My daughter lived across from Fort Tryon Park for a couple of years.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The M4 bus dropped us off right at the door of the Cloisters, and pick up was just feet away too. Not sure where the uphill walk is/was.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 05:07 AM

Cloisters is on the top of a quite steep hill. If you can get the bus to the top of the hill do so. The walk is through a park, but fairly long and steep (unlike what some people think Manhattan is NOT flat).

I would make sure getting on the bus that it does go to the front door of the cloisters - so easier than the subway and the walk.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM

Well, the train and the bus would work if the bus is near the A train stop. The transfer would be free after you exit the train.

Taking the M4 through the city will be an ordeal - that's a lot of stops every two blocks from your embarkation point.

Simple answer, especially if you're coming from south of 59th, is take the A train to Dyckman. The 1 train is local and its Dyckman station is further from The Cloisters than the A train's Dyckman station. The express/local difference = the A train will go from 59th to 125th in less than 7 minutes and as little as 5 if the tracks are clear; the 1 train takes 20 for the same stretch.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM

The entry to Fort Tryon park is pretty obvious after you get out of the subway (definitely A train). The bus stop is right there, but it always seems to me I have to wait forever for the bus. But it drops you off right at the museum. The walk,however, is nice and not too strenuous. You can't see the Cloisters as you enter the park, but the walkways pretty much take you right there. As long as you keep walking north you can't really miss it, and the park is generally busy with walkers and joggers when the weather is nice. (If it's not nice, then definitely take the bus.)

But the full trip from midtown on the M4 takes forever (well over an hour, as opposed to about 20 minutes on the A train). For me, it's no contest. A taxi, however, would be a needless expense (and quite an expense).
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Why is everyone responding to a question from last July 22?
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM

Because karens is apparently going to the Cloisters and asked about it on April 17th.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I took the subway to 145th St (chosen fairly randomly) and the stop for the M4 bus was steps away. The bus dropped me off at the door of the Cloisters, so no uphill walk required - although it was a lovely drive through the park. It took quite a while to get there from the UWS but I enjoyed seeing the sights along the bus ride. On the return, I took the bus down to St. John the Divine and enjoyed seeing the cathedral and the sculpture garden next to it. Because I was in no real hurry, I took the bus on south to my next destination.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 12:04 PM

DD and I took the subway to the Cloisters last May and walked from the stop to the museum. It is a beautiful walk. I wouldn't characterize it as "very uphill"--it is gently sloping uphill. I recall it being momentarily confusing but there is really only one direction to go and in time you can see the building so you know you are on the right path.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Hi. I had topped the thread. I went to the Cloisters Thursday and was confused by some of what I was reading (on this thread an a different thread on TA).

Here is what I did and my advice:

It was easy to take the A train to 190th Street. Do what is recommended and exit the station via the elevator. (I thought an elevator in an isolated subway station might be spooky, but no worries. There plenty of people who obviously read the same advice, AND the elevator had an operator; it was completely safe).

Exiting out the elevator, the entrance to Fort Tyrone park is right across the street toward your right. It is a very nice walk through the park to the Cloisters, and not long.

As I exited the Cloisters after my visit (I enjoyed it!), I was put only a few yards away from the M4 bus stop, so I took the bus back to the A train. It would not have been a problem to make the walk again. Like musicfan, I also wouldn't characterize the walk as very uphill, it was sloping and there were some stairs but nothing anyone (except those with mobility problems) would describe as difficult or strenuous. The park had flowering plants and trees and there were nice views of the river. You are up pretty high, so I would assume in the winter, this could be a very cold place to be.
Old Apr 20th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Wasn't it beautiful? We just loved it there--thanks for reporting back.