First time visit to NYC

Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time visit to NYC

Hi,
We have never been to USA, but next year Mrs Muck hits the big 50 (don't tell her I know) and I would love to take her to NYC as a surprise.
She loves cities, and amongst other things I think a show on Broadway would be something she would enjoy.

I am not familiar with NYC at all and whilst I have looked on the maps I would like some advice on central locations to stay around the budget, hotels near to the places that we as first time tourists would visit.

I expect we would visit around the 1st week of June, and stay for 5 or 6 nights.
Budget for hotels is probably around $160-220/night but not set in stone.

This is the start of my research and any ideas, thoughts are all gratefully received.
I will of course need to keep it secret and she will find out when we hit heathrow. (Can't really keep it secret after that )

Look forward to reading all our ideas.

Thanks

Muck
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:40 AM

sadly, it will be difficult to stay in a decent place at that rate, but not impossible
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:56 AM

That hotel budget is low for NYC assuming you want to stay in Manhattan (the central island of the city where most of the major sights are found).

You might do best by reserving and prepaying for hotel rooms far in advance to get better rates. Or you could try bidding on Priceline - but it's often difficult to get more than 3 or 4 nights at the same hotel.

Don't be concerned about getting around after a show or dinner - NYC subways runs 24/7/365.

Suggest you start looking now if your dates are flexible - or as soon as you have dates - so you have the best chance for bargains. Many tourists want to stay near Times Square (B'way show area) but frankly I think it's just awful - and many of the restaurants are very expensive with poor food. Since the subway has stops almost everywhere you can often get better hotel details on the upper west side (mid/upscale residential that is 10 minutes to Times Square on subway) or the business district downtown (but which can be quiet at night).

This should be your first quest.

For discount tickets to a B;way show look at broadwaybox.com. It provides discount codes which you can use at the show's official ticket seller - and have a better choice of tickets without wasting time standing on line at TKTS booth. Discounts appear for about 3 months at a time. If you set on going to a specific hit show - go to the official ticket seller online and start looking for tickets 6 months in advance to have the best choice of dates and seat location/price.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 07:13 AM

There's no need to limit yourself to hotels near your touristy midtown destinations. A $10 cab ride can save you $100 or more on the room rate and put you in a more pleasant neighborhood. Plus, every area has something of interest to tourists.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thats fine so far,
so upper west is an option, checked some hotels and they are well within the budget. although the budget is not set in stone.

Any other areas or specific mid range hotel recommendations ?

Muck
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
A location near a subway will make it possible for you to travel citywide inexpensively and quickly.Busesw and taxis often sit in traffic.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Tell us which hotels you are considering. there are a few - including the Riverside Towers on the UWS - that are total fleabags and should not be considered.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Sorry - you can look at midtown east side or central park south - but prices will probably be higher.

You can also look at SoHo, Tribeca, Chelsea, East Village - or downtown (financial district) - where discounts will be uneven.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 02:29 PM

Early June prices aren't terrible for hotels in June. You can always bid on Priceline.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 01:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Mucky, check your email.

Have a look at Chelsea Pines, Affinia Gardens, Milburn ... And add a few $$ to your budget.

Bokhara x
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 03:06 AM

Mucky we spent a week in New York last month and stayed at The Beacon Hotel in Upper West Side. Its on the corner of Broadway at 75th St and I couldnt have been happier with where we stayed. The subway was just over a block away and it is a main station so several lines stopped there. It was easy to catch a subway ride to the tourist spots and travelling at night to a Broadway show is a breeze. There are restaurants nearby and a great market across the road if you prefer to eat in to save some money. It isnt in the price range you are searching for but I know when I was looking for hotels there werent many at that price range that had consistently good reviews.
I would go back there in a flash. (not only the hotel but New York. It is amazing and I fell i love with it)
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM

On the couple of times we've visited New York for a vacation (as opposed to work), we have not stayed in midtown; I like other areas more. We liked the Upper West Side, and stayed at the Milburn. The location and the hotel both worked very well.

On a more recent visit, we stayed in the Murray Hill area, another location that we liked a lot. That time we stayed at the St. Giles, which may be above your price range. This location was closer to more of the restaurants we ate at.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 06:32 PM

when budgeting your hotel be sure to include in your room rate the hotel tax you can figure that out when you look to book online and see what the final number comes to...

for broadway shows.. broadwaybox.com and playbill.com have discount offers. its hard to know what will be playing next june.. except for the long running musicals.

in addition to bidding on priceline...
if you are not adverse to paying in advance, and selecting a slightly higher room rate that you can cancel generally without charge, you can book through Tingo.com.. its owned by TripAdvisor, and if the rate goes down you will get a credit on your charge card bill after you check out... tingo will rebook it free at the lower rate and send you an email, and you dont have to do a thing to get your refund.. i used this site to book a hotel in italy.. paid in dollars, the rate in euros converted to the same amount.. the fluctuation in the dollar and euro resulted in the rate going down a few times and i saved some dollars off the room price in the end.

do not book any online apt.. short term rentals under 30 days are illegal in NYC and the ones you may see advertised are illegal and scams.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 11:33 PM

Would have to agree with NYTraveler that it's pretty crowded around Times Square and glad we stayed in Midtown East when we went this summer.

Since there were 5 of us, we needed a suite and that hotel runs high for just 2 people, so not helpful for you. I also saved websites of hotels I studied up on and could afford in case I made it back to New York some day. I just now checked the Gracie Inn (which I got from another fodorite) and it is in your budget: http://www.gracieinnhotel.com/ $199/night before tax.

Others on my wish list were: the Cosmopolitan, Hotel Belleclaire, Washington Square Hotel, and the Beacon (mentioned above). Backups but tolerable were the Salisbury or the Lucerne. Also, Stay the Night, an uptown Bed and Breakfast which is legal unlike the apartment rentals. Again, I haven't stayed at any of these, so please doublecheck with others who either have stayed there or locals can tell you the pros and cons of the neighborhoods.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:44 AM

Mucky:

Try looking at the discount sites for a hotel http://www.kayak.com - http://www.travelzoo.com - http://www.quikbook.com

Hotel reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com

Happy planning.

Sandy
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 05:16 AM

When looking at those sites be very careful about location. They typically misplace hotels - even listing those in New Jersey as within a couple of miles of Times Square - ignoring the fact that the very large Hudson River is in between (with no way to cross without making a long, time-consuming and expensive circular trip).

Whatever you do - you want to stay in Manhattan (listed as New York, NY) - not any of the suburbs or at/near the airports.
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so far everyone.
Exactly the info i wanted
Currently looking at alternate date in may.

back soon

Muck
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM

Mucky:

Weather will probably be nicer in May. June often hot and humid.

Once you get your hotel choice down to about three come on back and many on this board can give you help on final decision.

Agree with nytraveler worth a few more $'s to stay in Manhattan and if you find something you like on one of the discount sites try for the same offer on the actual hotel site.

Love love NYC - have been many times.

Sandy
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM

5-6 days is not enough. Consider flight time to USA.
Also, by June it's already tourist season, and getting hot and humid. April-May, Sept20-Nov10 are best times to visit NYC.

As for site seeing, buy 2 or 3 guide books, with photos and subway maps.
Check out google images for whatever you'd like to see. I hear Little Italy is close to extinction, so check it out before it's all gone.
BTW, subway fare is going up to $2.50
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 07:10 PM

the weather in May and June are generally nice..though the closer to July the hotter it gets. Keep in mind that there are many colleges and universities in NYC and that graduations are generally in May. So hotels may be busy.

At present many hotels are also being used to house those who have been displaced by Hurricane Sandy. Of course by the late spring hopefully people will be able to move back to their apartments and houses that were damaged in the storm. That being said, once you know your dates, see about booking a hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -