Men's Advice Needed: Husband's Surprise 30th Birthday Weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband's 30th birthday is coming up in January and both of us are brand new to the Denver area. As a surprise, I'm flying 2 of his best buddies from back home (Florida) in Fri - Mon for a guy's weekend.

They fly in Friday night so we'll probably stay local (We live in Cherry Creek and love the Cherry Cricket). Saturday morning we're headed to a family friend's cabin in Grand Lake for one night. Skiing/snowboarding is out due to need for lessons all around and budget. Saturday I'd like to send them to the Fraser Tubing Hill (is this a whole day thing? Couple hours? Reservations?).

Basically, I'm looking for ideas for Sunday and Monday that 3 active, adventure-loving guys around 30 would be into. I'd like to cover their expenses so nothing too pricey (Tubing, @ $20/pp is a great price for me) but if you have a great idea, I'd love to hear it and would propose splitting costs with them. We'll cook at the (somewhat remote) cabin Saturday night, but a fun dinner out suggestion for Sunday night in Denver would be appreciated too. Monday they have 5pm flights... so breakfast? Red Rocks? Boulder? Brewery tours? I'm open to anything!

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 06:20 AM

The number of beers they have at the Cherry Cricket on Friday and the altitude may determine how active the guys are on Saturday. Make sure they drink a lot of water.

The $20/pp for the tubing hill is for 1.5 hours (I think) of tubing so it will cost you more if they plan to stay longer. I have never heard of couple hours.

I wouldn't count skiing out for Sunday. Winter Park has a great package for first time skiers - lift ticket, 2.5 hour lesson and rental for $99/pp. http://www.winterparkresort.com/less...up_lessons.htm A really good value if they end up skiing all day.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback - I know we've been here a couple of months and are still not used to the altitude.

couple hours - meant if tubing is something you do for 'a couple of hours'

That's an awesome deal for skiing which I think we'll look into another time. One of the friends also has knee issues so unfortunately, that's out regardless.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM

In order for it to be a guy's weekend, you cannot participate.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM

I mean unless you are a guy too.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Personally, I'd have rather just spent it w/my SO, but that is me...
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Personally, I'd have rather just spent it w/my SO, but that is me...
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 03:46 AM

We have tubed several times and I think 1-3 hours would be plenty. It is not a "whole day thing".

Not sure of the Nuggets BB schedule, but could you get tickets to a game?
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 04:27 AM

Maybe she will spend THE birthday with SO. They are new to the area and may miss their buddies. I think it is a very cool gift and lots of fun for everyone.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gretchen! You're right on, we've been here about 5 months and he hasn't seen his guy friends since.

@Kealalani - gee, thanks. I'm only going as their chauffeur/chef for the weekend, something I think they'll appreciate after a night at the Cricket. Regardless of altitude, I know how they are when they get together

Any other ideas? or restaurant/sports-bars-with-good-food ideas for Denver?
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Don't worry! It really is only on his 40th birthday that you might be considered intrusive as the soul hostess to a guy's weekend!

Flying his friends out is a very kind surprise!
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM

There's Rock Bottom on 16th ST.. Some of the sports bars around Coors Field for the breweries would be fun for out of town guys. I can't call the names.
Is the ___Ollie's still in Cherry Creek for a change of pace?
I wonder if coming back from the mountains about stopping in at The Fort in Morrison for a drink and appetizer of Rocky Mountain oysters would be "fun". Seeing it would be, for sure.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Tubing at Fraser would be ok, a couple of hours tops. It is more a family thing, IMHO, than a 30-something guy thing. But that's just me, not a big fan.. It is a bit of a drive from Grand Lake to Fraser and back, about 45 minutes each way. Maybe you are leaving that day, and it is on your way home.

Grand Lake is a snowmobile mecca, if that appeals to you. Lots of places to rent them.

Cross country skiing is also available at Grand Lake golf course. It is a gentle area, and might be fine on a tender knee.

(I think your b-day plan for your DH is awesome.)
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Looks like there's a Nuggets home game that weekend so I'm looking into tickets, then they could hit the sports bars nearby afterwards. I also think they'd love the idea of snowmobiling and/or CC skiing. Thanks for all the great ideas! You guys never fail...
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM

X-country skiing is a fun thing to do, for which you don't need a lot of experience, if you do the gentle golf course trails at Grand Lake. You can rent equipment there, and the personnel there are very helpful. It is fairly inexpensive.

There is also a nice grill at the clubhouse, for refreshments. They offer a full moon ski, with hot chocolate and marshmallows at a campfire halfway round the trail. Depends on when you are there.

(Gretchen, yes, Little Ollies is still in Cherry Creek North.)
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Coming back from the mountains on Route 6 at Garrison St.there is the best noodle restaurant. People stop there all the time for a meal. You get off and there is a little strip mall (I mean LITTLE) and it is back in the corner. It is absolutely delicious/local. You could pick it up to go. It is good and cheap. Their dumplings are the size of my hand and irresistable.