Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Menopausal? Don't You Dare Mention That Word Here! Zap!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally....We get a bit of levity around here & ZAP...it's gone! Holy Jumpings! Fodors, you are taking this waaaay too seriously. The "Whippersnapper" post was deleted...why? Edna asked why we thought she was old. Innocent enough question. Coco_Chanel suggested it was b/c Edna, at times, comes across as "menopausal". Did you laugh? Did you think it was funny? Did you say "Finally...we are going to have some fun again!" No...we are not. No more fun! The post is gone. So what gives around here?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:56 PM
EdnaB

Thank you for clearing that up. I posted that I was only 34 after joebob gave one of his usual nasty comments about the "old folks out of the home" or something like that. Then I noticed very soon afterwards it was gone. I supposed it was because the obnoxious joebob made a comment at all. His name changes daily, I suppose because they keep blocking his name and he has to re-register under a new one. I missed that other comment. To be honest I'm not offended, but I have been wondering why I get so many comments like I'm some old lady. Is it the name Edna? But let us be honest. Will the Forum suffer because someone calling me menopausal was obliterated? I doubt it. Is this the kind of humor that some people miss? Sad commentary on some people's view of humor if that is the case. I suppose you will also miss the bathroom humor jokes.

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Turtle: Yes....I noticed my post was almost immediately snuffed...ah, well..I tried.
Edna: I stand by my post - it's not your name, it's your nagging.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:16 PM

Actually it is exactly the kind of humor that will be missed. I'm sorry I missed it, but since I couldn't post for over a week, I might've gotten in on the fun...Oh well, no holding back on my end anyway, menopausal seems rather tame when I think of the adjectives that could have been used!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Brutforce

joe-bob is the one that should be ZAPPED...

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:32 PM
gc

In the words of a lovely lady who relocated from New Orleans to northern New Hampshire:
"I carry a little bit of summer with me wherever I go!"
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:43 PM

Edna, I am sure nothing was meant by it. Go with the flow! We love you anyway.
Thirty-Four is a very nice age. Joebob has limited access to his/her internet connection, as the school media center closes shortly after the late bus leaves. No school in a weekend or so for Presidents day, so relax.

Secretly, I think Fodors has made a cunning move: Delete some posts, not right away, so people have to quickly and often check the site to get their fix of the humor.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:53 PM
EdnaB

Thank you for your kind words, xxx11. I am a little troubled by the above comment that this is the kind of humor we will miss here. By "this kind of humor", do you mean the post by joebob which commented on my simple post that "oh look, Edna's back the old folks home must be closed"? and the idea of calling a poster "menopausal". If that is your idea of the kind of humor that will be missed, I really feel sorry for you. The only kind of humor I would miss here is the kind which is not meant to offend and attack, but treats travel questions in a funny and light way.

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:56 PM

nina, I'll be looking forward to your posts now that I'll know which are actually yours. Before registration, it was hard to tell who had really written some of the posts with your name (and those of other posters) on them.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:10 PM

Oh, good God, Edna! I stand corrected - you're not menopausal - you just need a good proctologist to remove that enormous bug that seems to be lodged. Rarely have I read such clenched messages.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:23 PM

Lodged, indeed!

-Darvy
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM
duh

be nice already. if you have all that wind pray for our troops!!!

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:49 PM

I'm with Turtle and Coco! Bring back joebob! Hey maybe Edna and joebob are alter egos of the same gal/guy???
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:58 PM

And what would be wrong with being menopausal anyway? It happens to the best of us. It might be hard to travel, and post travel advice, once estrogen levels are lower, but I doubt it's impossible. Even the oldest of old bats are allowed to have some fun in this country. I think of "menopausal" as an honorific which I hope to attain some day (as the alternative is not that attractive).
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:47 PM

I remember when I was pretty young and my mother was moody, my father would sort of whisper "she's having PMS". Then she became menopausal. As I recall I liked her a lot better menopausal that when she was having PMS!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 04:33 AM

These days, my way of thinking, having lost a friend to breast cancer at the age of 32...if I make it to "Menopause" I will consider myself lucky!

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 08:19 AM

When my son was 8yrs. old, he asked me what PMS was... I proceeded to tell him with as much info as he needed, but not MORE than he needed. When I had finished, he had a really strange look on his face, so I asked him if he had any questions - he said, "Oh, I thought it meant you could read someone elses mind..."

oh,well, he had 2 of the 3 letters right...