NYC: dining suggestions -specific areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD (18) and her much more than 18 mom in NY for a quick show weekend May 19-21. We're staying at the Hilton in the Fashion District- 152 West 26th Street. This is a new part of town for me. Any breakfast, lunch ideas that come to mind around there?

One night we'll be seeing Mike Birbiglia at the Barrow Street Theater. To offset the cost of tickets for various shows over the weekend, I'm looking for good deals for dinner nearby. Anything interesting, delicious yet reasonable come to mind in that area (Christopher/Sheridan)?

Also seeing Catch me if you Can (Neil Simon Theater). On another trip, we ate at Vynl and Roberto Passon (I understand it is closed). Both good choices for us. Anything interesting, not touristy, come to mind?

Thanks, as always!
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Le Zie is one of our favorites in that part of town. Seventh Ave and about 16th Street.

Hangawi-an elegant Korean veggie restaurant and I am not a veggie person.

Keen's-an old NY favorite.

Farther west are Cookshop, Tia Pol, and Red Cat
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:28 AM

Rice and Beans is a small Brazilian restaurant across the street from what once was Roberto Passon (the restaurant hasn't closed, but it has a new name and chef and is, apparently, not as good).

Also in the theater district (on 43rd Street) is HB Burger, which has surprisingly good hamburgers. I'm going there on Friday again before the theater for a quick bite before a show.

For a moderately priced restaurant ($24.95), you can eat at Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote. You get salad with house dressing, a sirloin served in two portions with excellent special sauce and crispy fries), and bread. That's it ... no other choices. But it's a good deal and one of my favorite NYC dining experiences. I'm there often. The wine is cheap, and most of the desserts are $7. You can be in and out in an hour.

Also, there's Becco in the theater district (requires reservations). The 3-pasta all-you-can-eat special is not my favorite, but a lot of people like it, and it's just $22.95 and comes with salad or antipasto platter. (Actually, all entrees, most of which are under $25) come with salad, making this a bargain for NYC.

I'm really bad with dining downtown since I so rarely go there anymore. But there's a decent diner called Manatus on Bleecker just off Christopher Street. It's just a diner, though.

Further downtown, there's a really good Malaysian restaurant called Nyonya on Grand Street. It's pretty cheap, but it's not that close to the theater in the Village.

Both Hangawi and Keens are pretty expensive, but in Koreatown you could have a quick bite at either one of the famous Korean fried chicken places Kyo Chon or Bon Chon. Both are on 5th Ave (same block) near 32nd Street. You can eat for about $12 there, but just realize that this is friend chicken wings ... not fancy but for me very delicious, and they are both hopping places at night.
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM

For breakfast/coffee in Chelsea, Cafe Grumpy. Lunch/dinner near barrow St, check out Cornelia st - Po, Cornelia St Cafe, Le Gigot. On Carmine St, Trattoria Toscana, and there's an inexpensive Thai place (but can't think of name).
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Your hotel is a block away from the Chelsea Flea Market if you're into vintage shopping. http://nymag.com/listings/stores/ann...flea_marketes/

Zemi is a good eclectic place in Chelsea where I've had some really inexpensive and tasty lunches. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/zemi-restaurant/
Food Parc is a new food court attached to the Eventi hotel a few blocks north of yours on 6th & 29-30th st. I haven't tried it but there seem to be a lot of options.

Le Singe Vert is a French bistro in Chelsea that has a really good value pre theater dinner, $20 for 2 courses or $25 for 3. The hanger steak is very tasty. You could eat there before heading to the village since it's south of your hotel. If you'd rather eat near the theater, there are really dozens of options. John's Pizzeria on Bleecker St. is one of the famous pizza places but they don't take reservations and there can be waits so you'd have to leave plenty of time. To see what's near any locationl map the location on maps.google.com and use the 'search nearby' feature for whatever you want (ie restaurants or Italian restaurants etc.)
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:17 AM

What great timing for this thread. I'll be in NYC next week and we are staying in Chelsea and love French food. Thanks mclaurie. The other suggestions sound great too.
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:16 AM

My favorite restaurant in Chelsea is Tello's on the corner of 20th Street and 8th Avenue. It's a good, mid-priced Italian restaurant. It's a good idea to make a reservation on the weekends if you want to eat between 7 and 9, but doing so 2 or 3 hours in advance is generally sufficient. Most dishes are around $20 or less, but a few are more expensive.

Intermezzo is a few doors down (toward 21st) and is operated by the same company that once owned Roberto Passon, but the food isn't as good in my opinion.

Cuba Cafe is also in that block and is a fun restaurant if you want Cuban food.
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Fodorites! Looking forward to checking some of these out. So many restaurants...so little time!