Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Memphis - River Inn of Harbor Town or Peabody Hotel?

Nov 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi -

I'm trying to decide between these two hotels in Memphis for a long weekend getaway.

Also, do you recommend renting a car, or can you get around easy enough with cabs?

Thanks so much!
Gerie
Nov 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
lmz

I am not familiar with the River Inn of Harbortown but the Peabody is always nice.

Unless you are planning to stay downtown only the entire time, you need a car.
Nov 9th, 2010, 12:53 PM

The River Inn appears to be on Mud Island. Though distance-wise you *might* be able to walk to downtown attractions, it would be awkward and I'm not sure about the safety (traffic-wise or otherwise - might be fine, I just don't know). There's not much at all to do on the island itself; it's mostly residential. The Peabody is definitely a better location for downtown things.

As lmz said, anything out of downtown will require either a cab or a rental car (or figuring out the bus system). So for you, it depends on what all you want to do while you're there.
Nov 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Re cars vs. cabs vs. public transportation in Memphis. Many of the city's attractions are downtown and easy to reach on foot. There is a free shuttle service that leaves from the Rock and Soul Museum downtown that will go to Graceland and Sun Studio -- it's very easy and convenient.

Most other attractions are reachable via bus (the central terminal is a little bit north of downtown, at the northern terminus of the Main Street trolley line). The bus system is mainly used by poor folks and not commuters and is usually (if not always) reasonably reliable, so if that's a problem for you, a rental car or cab is probably a better choice. I didn't mind the bus, myself. A cab or car is necessary if you want to visit the National Ornamental Museum or the Slavehaven--Burkle Estate, and given that the area around the STAX Museum is not good, you may feel more comfortable using a cab or car going here as well.

You'll usually find cabs right by the "happening" part of Beale Street where all the clubs and such are. If memory serves, they're usually around 3rd Street and Beale.

The Peabody Hotel is centrally located and the surrounding area is fine. Plus, the Peabody Ducks will be right in your lobby downstairs, and seeing them do their grand entrance or exit via duck wrangler is delightful fun.

The River Inn is a long way from Downtown on Mud Island -- there's likely no public transportation nearby, and walking between the two areas will probably pose significant safety issues, especially after dark. Unless you rent a car, I wouldn't consider the latter lodging option.
Nov 10th, 2010, 04:23 AM

Between the two, I'd definitely opt for the Peabody. The location is excellent and you'll certainly be within walking distance of enough attractions to keep you busy for a long weekend.

The River Inn is relatively new and gets excellent reviews, but (as others have said) is not near anything you'll want to do.
Nov 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM

If you are comfortable with a flight of stairs, I'd recommend the Talbot Heirs Guest house, which is directly across the street from the Peabody, so has the same excellent location. It was wonderful to have a lovely one bedroom apartment for the price of a hotel room, and the owners couldn't be nicer.
Nov 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM

We spent one (wish it had been more) night at the Peabody about 18 months ago and it was delightful. The bed was probably the most comfortable one I have ever slept in. It's very charming and well worth a stay.
Nov 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM

It looks like Talbot Heirs is very nice! Are there balconies in any of the rooms? It is hard to tell from the website
Nov 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Our room didn't have a balcony--I don't know about any of the others.
Nov 11th, 2010, 03:12 AM

and you'll see the peabody ducks! ;-)
Dec 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM

The River Inn at Harbor Town is maybe the top hotel in Memphis. The Restaurant Currents their is outstanding. The Peabody is very nice but you can get an outdated room. It is convenient for downtown visiting in the Beale Street Area and dining there. I would rent a car for sure. There are some unsafe areas downtown at night.

The River Inn @ Harbor Town @ 50 Harbor Town Square, Memphis, TN 901 - 260 - 3333.
http://www.riverinnmemphis.com/