Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Memories of WTC and my own thoughts (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/memories-of-wtc-and-my-own-thoughts-188509/)

juli Sep 12th, 2001 08:52 AM

Memories of WTC and my own thoughts

I wanted to start a post where people can give there feelings about what happened. Its very hard to continue on with your day like none of this has happened. You may not care about what I have to say of my memories of the greatest landmark in NY but I figured it might shed some light for those who have never seen it with there own eyes. <BR> <BR>My boyfriends appt. is a high rise directly across the river from what used to be the WTC. It was the greatest apartment because you could'nt pay for a view like that. <BR>For all those who visit from around the world there is nothing like the view from NJ. You couldnt see the beauty of the site from inside the city. You had to experience it from across the river to see the whole skyline. The whole wall of his living room was 8 foot tall windows and you couldnt help but stare out the windows and wonder what was going on in the buildings. <BR> <BR>My 2 favorite times of day where sunrise on a beautiful day (like yesterday)The colors of the sky against the shimmering buildings over the water was truly awe-inspiring and the time the sun starts to set and hits the buildings and gives of a pinkish-orange light. I took for granted that I could take many more pictures before we move away and it seems I am too late. <BR> <BR>I am just thankful for the memories and pictures I had taken during opsail2000. <BR>Fortuntly we had take a trip to up the WTC early last spring because it was a nice and sunny day. I had forgotten my camera and figured we would get the chance to go up again. No one could imagine that the day would come when the skyline was changed forever. <BR> <BR>To put it all into perspective though to lose a building is no where nears as devastationg as the lose of life suffered by all. I keep receiving e-mails from friends and families offering stories of horror and lose of those they know. I am so proud of all the people in NY that are banding together and help there own. I wish that I could help in any way. But since they arent allowing people into the city, I will have to watch from my spot across the river. <BR> <BR>My thoughts are with all of those families who have lost a loved one and those who are still waiting to hear word. I cant imagine what you must be going through. I hope to never know. <BR> <BR>I will keep all the volunteers, the missing, the firefighters, police officers, and the Red Cross in my thoughts.I wish there was more I could do then giving blood and money. <BR> <BR>But as a nation we will get through this. I have faith we will come back stronger and punish those who thought they could come into our country and take our innocene away. <BR>Thanks for letting me vent my feelings <BR>JK <BR> <BR>

jenny g. Sep 13th, 2001 05:14 AM

I just wanted to thank you for taking the the time to write down your memories. <BR>Lets all hope that we are strong enough to get through this <BR>I wish I would've traveled to the world Trade but I always thought there would be time <BR>Jenny

Celeste Sep 13th, 2001 05:18 PM

It makes me wonder what else I think I'll do "someday" and then time runs out. And I don't mean tourist-type things. I mean never calling my brother and then finding out he was only a few blocks away when the attack occurred in Manhattan. Or not saying "I love you," to my family when I leave for work because, well, I'm just going to work, right? <BR> <BR>Wrong. That's what those people were doing, just going to work. I'm going to try to appreciate everyone around me just a little bit more, every day.

Larisa Sep 13th, 2001 06:01 PM

Some 50 people were laid-off from Morgan Stanley just on Monday, Sept 10. <BR>They were probably devastated... <BR>And there was a picture of the girl on TV who started working there a week ago, she was so excited. <BR>Life and death, how minor is everything in comparison.... <BR>And to those who wanted to visit WTC and never did - wait and see, we will build another one, better and more beautiful. <BR>It will not replace the lives lost, but it will make the memorial to all of them, and to those who survived but went thru the hell.

Paul Rabe Sep 13th, 2001 06:20 PM

When you go north on I-95 to New York City, you first view of Manhattan, just as you were arriving at Newark Airport, was the World Trade Towers. This being a day trip for me (and I *LOVE* doing this day trip), I always got a thrill over seeing them. Now I'll never be able to get to that part of the freeway without a terrible sense of loss. <BR> <BR>Ironically, last month, on our most recent trip to NYC, we looked back on the World Trade Towers as we were heading south on I-95, as we were saying goodbye to an old friend. Little did we know it would be the last time we saw these symbols of a great city. <BR> <BR>The loss of life is the most horrifying part of this attack. But the personal part for me is the loss of a symbol that always told me "You're almost at the Big Apple."

Donna Sep 13th, 2001 06:59 PM

I had the thrill of dining at Windows (along with Manhattan clam chowder I can also still recall) in 1986. I remember this because it was just after the scaffolding was removed from the Statue of Liberty but just before the celebration. I also remember seeing the beautiful towers from the top of the Statue of Liberty on a subsequent trip. Such a horrible shame that a magnificent modern engineering accomplishment became a "target" with no regard, or perhaps every regard, for the human beings within.