Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   MEMO TO ALL AUSSIES - WHY LOS ANGELES? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/memo-to-all-aussies-why-los-angeles-888833/)

madgicsh Apr 30th, 2011 08:26 PM

MEMO TO ALL AUSSIES - WHY LOS ANGELES?

Not that we have anything against LA, but every Australian we talk to flies into LAX - surely one of life's most missable experiences?

Being not that young, but extremely energetic, we fly out generally on a Friday night, get to Honolulu 11 hours before we leave (gotta love the International Date Line) have a few days in Honolulu and then arrive in Seattle with no Customs or Immigration since it's an internal US flight; and NO jetlag at all. We usually hit SEATAC on Sunday night and are ready to go on our way Monday morning, refreshed by a night at a SEATAC hotel and ready to drive wherever.

Am I strange or is this more appealing than 15 hours on a non stop flight followed by LAX customs and immigration?

janisj Apr 30th, 2011 08:46 PM

Probably mostly depends on whether one wants to be in/tour Washington -- or be in/tour California.

I don't think I'd fly into Auckland if Sydney is where I was headed . . .

Dreams64 Apr 30th, 2011 08:53 PM

Thankyou Madgicsh, I intend on travelling this route with my husband in the future and this seems far more appealing than my stopover in LA I will be doing later this year. I will definately keep your suggestion in mind for a smoother pathway to the US, especially as we intend to cross Canada and go to New York that way, it makes a lot more sense.

Peteralan Apr 30th, 2011 09:42 PM

I am not fond of LA and also have heard horror stories regarding treatment by the overlly officious Customs Officers there. For that reason I deliberately chose to enter the US at San Francisco which is a far more pleasant place and the Customs Officers there were polite and efficient. Did you have to have your Customs inspection in Honolulu and how was that experience?

madgicsh May 1st, 2011 12:16 AM

I can't in all honesty say that they are particularly friendly in Honolulu, although some have been. But no-one has ever been rude, just brusque (busy); and flying Hawaiian is an advantage in that way because you're seen as giving THEIR airline a go. You should be looking for a cab within 30 minutes of finding your bag on the carousel.

Since we come from the land of probably their major competitor on the route, they always seem to enjoy meeting Aussies who like their island airline. And the payoff is: check and compare the baggage allowances on various airlines into Hawaii. You can also fly direct from Honolulu to San Francisco, LA (if you MUST), Portland, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas or San Jose, so you can tailor your landing to where you want to go.

I know this is an unforgivably girly comment, but their planes are the prettiest too! Let me know if you do it and what you think?

Peteralan May 3rd, 2011 03:00 AM

Thanks, that is very interesting to hear. I was under the impression I would have to go through it all again when I reached the mainland even though I had been checked in Honolulu. Interesting to hear that is not the case as the second leg would be classed as a Domestic flight?

qwovadis May 3rd, 2011 03:54 AM

Jetstar and Hawaiian do non stops SYD HNL

but by the time you add on your US mainland leg

usually works out to be hundreds of USD more...

Probably why most come into LAX

Little_Miss_Flighty Jun 28th, 2011 08:52 PM

Better choice of airlines from SYD & BNE direct to LAX - V AUSTRALIA. Amazing!

suze Jun 29th, 2011 11:56 AM

I agree with janisj in the first post. Depends where you want to end up. Seattle is NOWHERE near Los Angeles. And I've never found LAX all that much worse than SeaTac airport.

islandaze Jun 29th, 2011 12:28 PM

Ah, but when you're flying into LAX and SEA, you're a returning US citizen, aren't you suze? I remember the last time I came through immigration and customs in LAX, it was a breeze for me as compared to those holding non-USA passports.

bardo1 Jun 29th, 2011 02:40 PM

Yes, but there are plenty of non-stops from SYD to SFO. Not only is the airport and immigration experience at San Francisco easier but it is a better city for touring.

tenthumbs Jun 29th, 2011 04:19 PM

I agree with qwovadis~a few days in Honolulu enroute to the mainland would be fabulous, but not feasible for some one with limited time and/or budget.

lcuy Jun 29th, 2011 07:14 PM

Flying through honolulu is a LOT more expensive than flying to LAX, SFO, or SEA.

I have a brother in Aus who comes to the US every year. Every year he tries to do a stopover in Honolulu. It is actually cheaper to fly round trip to LAX, then do a round trip to LAX-Honolulu, but who wants to do that? I usually fly to Calif and visit him and my sister in San Diego.

cathies Jun 30th, 2011 02:23 AM

I had a connection in LAX in May when I flew SYD-NYC. I was dreading the arrival and processing in LAX but I can happily post that it was a very easy experience. Nearly everyone on our flight was transiting through to NYC and as we left the plane we were given orange 'express' cards which we displayed as we made our way through the airport. We were 'expressed' through LAX and made our 90 minute connection with 20 minutes to spare. We were very impressed. The staff were courteous and helpful at each stage.

We flew home via Honolulu and spent 5 days there which we loved but under NO circumstances will I ever fly Qantas - Honolulu again. QF4 was a very old 767 with no individual entertainment units and the smallest seats we encountered anywhere on our trip. It was a VERY long 10 1/2 hours. The only good thing about it was that we were only 2 rows from the overhead tv's. If we'd been in front of them we'd have had no entertainment for the entire trip. Qantas should be ashamed that they still fly those planes.