MelissaHI(+brother) and Islandmom???

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelissaHI(+brother) and Islandmom???

Message: I have read a lot of your posts and you guys really know what you are talking about when it comes to Oahu. I have a few questions for you:

1. We have put a deposit down on a house in Wainane. I am concerned about the location being WAY OUT THERE! I am also conerned about getting to the house and being dispappointed. Do you guys have any realtor recomendations or know of people who have rental properties that you could direct me to?

2. Where are the best places to snorkel in April?

3. If you could only go to 5 places to eat in Oahu where would they be?

4. Will there be big waves in Apirl?

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks in adavnmce for your help!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:27 AM
hpl

I don't have a lot of info to offer but Wainane is quite a ways out without lots of tourist attractions, restaturants, etc. If you want to be outside of Honolulu and still close to the beach I'd look at Kailua.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Wow! Don't know where to begin with this one. A little out of my area (chinatown). But here goes...

For urban locals born and raised, Waianae is distant, almost an hour's driving time. The Waianae coast has sometimes been described as an altogether different county from the rest of the island; coast residents have sometimes referred to the towns there as "reservations".

That said, the beaches are beautiful and the sunsets are gorgeous.

You are arriving right at the tail-end of the winter season, so wave conditions are difficult to predict.

I don't know where you are coming from or how familiar you are with surf conditions. Hawaii does not have a continental shelf to moderate wave force before water comes to shore; we are just sticking up from the ocean floor, directly exposed to swells. Best that you consult with lifeguard services each time that you hit the water.

For surf, Makaha will be close to you.
Sunset Beach on the North Shore may have the most consistent waves at that time if Makaha is not breaking. Otherwise, listen to the radio for surf reports.

Snorkeling: Ko Olina lagoons, about twenty-five minutes away; Shark's Cove on the North Shore; and of course Hanauma Bay along the South Shore.

Eating: if you are not in the mood to drive, Makaha Resort should have something palatable, particularly at their golf club. Down the road, Cathay
Inn Chinese Restaurant. At Ko Olina Resort twenty-five minutes away, Azul and Usio Tei (Japanese Restaurant).

Top five, no budgetary restraints: Alan Wong's, Roy's, Mavro's, La Mer, Hoku's; if watching my wallet a bit 3660 On The Rise. This is off the top of my head; I may come back and revise the list
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:25 PM

I'm pretty flattered, no one's asked me for advice before (although as you can see I just volunteer it all around!). As PPC suggests, he and I are "townies"--that is, we don't do a lot of rural travel on the island. This past weekend, I discovered he wanders out even LESS than I do! But here's my shot:

1. If you can get out of the house in Waianae, try www.bradleyproperties.com or even the rental section of www.hicentral.com. My cousin rented a place at the base of Diamond Head last month thru www.worrall.com. I thought the location was fantastic, but she thought it was kind of noisy.

2. Sorry, not a snorkler! I have a relative in town right now who went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay yesterday and he just loved it, though.

3. If I had an unlimited budget? Padovani's, 3660 On The Rise, Hanohano Room, Chai's, or Alan Wong's, I guess. With friends I like C&C Pasta Factory, Kakaako Kitchen, Donato's, Kincaid's, or Indigo. But sometimes I like to eat at Restaurant Row at 500 Ala Moana Boulevard, or at Aloha Tower Marketplace.

4. Waves....the surf will not be as huge in April as they are now, but like my bro says, listen to the radio. I don't get out to the North Shore much but every so often surf is up in the Waikiki/South Shores and it's fabulous--I can see the waves breaking from far away, and there's no parking at Kapiolani Park because all the surfers are playing hooky from work to catch them!

Hope that helps.......?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Ameilissa, what happened to Mavro's, Roy's, and La Mer? Are you holding out on some not-so-swell remarks or experiences? Add Hoku's to that list:
what's up with that?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:19 PM

who is your realitor?

I would not stay in Wainane I am sorry to say. It is probably some of the most beautiful landscape on the island. Unfortunately, the area is very poverty ridden and there is significant crime risk here. Loose the deposit if it was not too much better than loosing your vacation.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:21 PM

Melissa that really surprises me that nobody has asked for your help. When I think of how many times I see request for Kal and he does not even live in the islands. No offense Kal. You know we love yah.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 12:50 AM

I just spent Tuesday in Waianae and Keana (sp?) point. Let me share that it has been years since I ventured out that far West. And I only went with my husband and friends. It is poor and can be dangerous if you stand out and run into the wrong person. I have friends and co-workers from that area and although I trust them in work situations they go by different rules out there. I'll never forget sly threats of hiding bodies in pig pits and then years later it turning up in the paper as true. The ocean and land is very beautiful though. Probably nothing bad would happen, but it could more so in that area.

April could bring storms and big waves.

Five places to eat- Pyramids for dinner, Sheraton Moana Surfrider for pupus, Cabanas at Kahala for dinner, Maui Tacos, Duke's for breakfast.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone who has contributed!!!! I can't tell you how much you have helped. We are currently trying to get out of the deposit on the grounds of misrepresentaion. The owner raved about the area and the safety on that side of the island. Looks like she was a bit mistaken.
You quite possibly have saved our trip! My whole family...10 of us (including in laws) thank you as well!
I would love any other postings though of tips etc.

THANK YOU!!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Kal

Sarah-None taken! ><
Besides, on any given moment, I'm probably less intoxicated than MelHI and I'm always living on Kauai mentally.

When it comes to info on Oahu, I'm basically a Sgt Schultz "I know nuuuthhingggg" other than the 2-3 days we spent there in '89.
But ask me about Stinger Ray's in the int'isl terminal!

I do know that if you go to Oahu and DO NOT see Pearl Harbor, No. Shore, Diamond Head and Waki Waki you're a bit .

I'm already getting scared as to what the lovely MelsHI, kalena, PPC and The Oahu Gang will have planned for me and Mrs K when we stop by for 2-3 days in Dec/Jan.
All I know is it better include a LOCO MOCO!!!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:36 PM

travelmom13,

I'll second the recommendation of Kailua as a good location, not too far out. IMHO this area has the best beaches on the island.

I've driven out to Kaena pt state park during the day and this side of Oahu is breathtakingly gorgeous but I wouldn't want to stay there.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

You guys have been great! I may have figured out how to get out of our deposit for the hosue on the leeward side. I followed MeliisaHI's advice and checked our www.worrall.com. They set up a reservation for an area on the beach. They say the, "home is situated on the shores of East Oahu between Kahala and Hawaii Kai." Since I don't live here and don't really know this island....is this a good location? If you want to check out the property the web address is:
http://www.hawaiivacationrentalsonline.com/pagex14.htm

Let me know what you think???
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:57 PM

This is an excellent area. As far as safety and neighborhood, I don't think you can get much better than the stretch between Kahala and Hawaii Kai.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Aloha from Las Vegas!!! I'll be pretty irregular for the next week or so. But I couldn't resist checking in!

Travelmom, East Honolulu is very safe and a very good area. If you are dealing with Lorilei, tell her Melissa from CB Pacific sent you.

PakePorky, I didn't mention Mavro's because I've never tried it so I am not sure.....but I would love to try it! As for Hoku's and La Mer...the service is excellent at both places but the food (esp. at Hoku's) seemed over rated. I don't mind going there, say, on a date. But for me, the food was not a terrific value.

Kal: Less intoxicated? Hmmmmmmmm
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

MelissaHI- I am working with Loreli and she has been great! I will let her know you sent me for sure! Thanks again for all your help.
Have a great time in Vegas. Have you ever done the SLINGSHOT on the top of the Stratosphere Hotel? It is quite a rush!!!
Hope your trip is safe.

Another questions for you guys: I keep reading that when we stop to go on hikes to falls etc. that we should "empty our car and keep the doors UNLOCKED." Is this true?? Does this help???

Thanks
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:51 PM

The hazards of the Waianae coast are sometimes over-emphasized but.if alternatives are available, the southeast shore (Kahala-Hawaii Kai) will be more comfortable for you. At that point, my big five eating places come immediately into play.

Melissa says the food may be over-rated at Hoku's and La Mer but, even so, the reality is still above and beyond normal levels. To me, it's a matter of budget. If you can afford it or someone else is paying (Melissa does not call me PakePorky without cause), go for it!

If budget is a constraint, I agree that
Chai's and 3660 On The Rise are good selections. Add L'Uraku to that list.

If you come from a place without good Chinese restaurants, Harbor Village Cuisine will be the closest good Chinese restaurant to your (new) vacation spot. Moving into town, the next one is Sun Tak, about fifteen minutes away.

Let me know if you have ethnic culinary preferences. btw, that side of the island has the wider variety of cuisines: Mediterranean, northern European, Japanese, etc.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM

The hazards of the Waianae coast are sometimes over-emphasized but,if alternatives are available, the southeast shore (Kahala-Hawaii Kai) will be more comfortable for you. At that point, my big five eating places come immediately into play.

Melissa says the food may be over-rated at Hoku's and La Mer but, even so, the reality is still above and beyond normal levels. To me, it's a matter of budget. If you can afford it or someone else is paying (Melissa does not call me PakePorky without cause), go for it!

If budget is a constraint, I agree that
Chai's and 3660 On The Rise are good selections. Add L'Uraku to that list.

If you come from a place without good Chinese restaurants, Harbor Village Cuisine will be the closest good Chinese restaurant to your (new) vacation spot. Moving into town, the next one is Sun Tak, about fifteen minutes away.

Let me know if you have ethnic culinary preferences. btw, that side of the island has the wider variety of cuisines: Mediterranean, northern European, Japanese, etc.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:22 PM

How is Cabanas at the Kahala Mandarin? We have been scoping that our for an anniversary dinner later this year. It looks mighty romantic.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:14 PM

Everything about Cabanas is perfect!!!

I also tried Marbella this week. The food was excellent. Just small portions and sllllloooooooow service. www.marbellahawaii.com

We also enjoy dinner and dancing at the top of the Ala Moana Hotel. Forget the name....

We went to Cha Cha Cha's in Waikiki again this week. Very good!

Cheesecake Factory still has a two hour wait. And Ruby Tuesdays just opened up. Those are fun for those of us who miss mainland food.

Oh and the HanoHano room at the Sheraton is good.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:28 AM

Travelemom, The pictures look great and there are not that many areas on Oahu that are questionable. Violent crime on Oahu is one of the lowest in the Nation. Where you are is great! I would also check out www.vrbo.com for other alternatives. Just to browse. My favorite area is the Windward side. A 20 minute hop over to Honolulu. I suspect you are just about that close where you are looking now also.

I suggest you visit Wainae side just don't stay there.

Kal you are too funny. You know you really date yourself mister when you quote Sgt. Shultz!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -