Megalodon Teeth in North Carolina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a June road trip that will take us through North Carolina. My daughter is HUGE into Megalodon shark teeth right now (she has a 3.5" from a fossil show and a 4.7" from Ebay) and knowing that many of these teeth come from NC, I thought it would be cool to take her somewhere related to Megalodons and their teeth. This can be something as complicated as a guided shark tooth treasure hunt or as simple as a good museum exhibit or gift shop. The location in NC is not important yet as we haven't decided exactly where to stay, so this will be one of the factors. Does anyone know of any places like this? I see the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences has a Megalodon exhibit, but it ends on May 9. Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM

You may want to check w/Discovery Place in Charlotte, that is something that would be right up their alley.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 02:09 PM

I don't know a megalodon from any other shark but there is the Aurora Fossil Museum – Main Street, Aurora, NC. You can did through a pit looking for finds. My son found a shark's tooth when we drove by a couple of years ago. There is a sign board with all types of stuff found. This is more of a stop on the way to someplace else.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM

The Aurora Fossil Museum, hands down!! The Aurora area is one of the biggest sites for Fossil Shark Teeth. But, to actually go into the mine, you need to know some people or belong to a Fossil club. But, they do have pits to find fossils. But, finding a megalodon tooth in those pits is quite slim, as they are very rare teeth. Theres exhibits on it though.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 06:11 PM

By 'pit' I mean a giant sandbox of material dropped off from the nearby factory.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM

There is a saying, a bad day at Aurora is a good day anywhere else. The mine trailings are very rich with fossilized sharks teeth. Alas, the megladon teeth are rare. We done it a couple years now and the closest we have found is half of a four inch tooth.

Aurora is worth a couple of hours. (Go in morning before it gets hot.)

The real way to find fossilized teeth is to wade or scuba in rivers. I'm not eager to enter murky gator filled rivers so I'll stick to Aurora and the buckets from PCS.

If anyone has found other sites, please chime in.

If we really want to be a great parent, order buckets of ore for your child's school. PCS Phosphate ships 5 gallon buckets free to schools. The contact is Curtis Ormond. I don't have the email address at the moment, but google it.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM

If you get down to Florida, Venice beach, near the fishing pier has tons of teeth that wash in with the sand. Most are not huge, but it is fun to scoop up sand and look for them. We've found hundreds of small (one inch or less) ones and a few larger ones. Some of the sports shops on rt. 41 used to sell large sifters to help in getting the teeth without too much sand.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Well, you really do learn something new every day!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:35 AM

Palmettoprincess is right, Aurora's the place to go (if you're in the area, as there's not much else there). They have a fossil festival every year around May where they bring in tons of fossil dirt from the local PCS Phosphate mine and let people sift through it. Generally you can find teeth anywhere from 1/8 inch up to 2-3 inches. Here's a link to their web site - http://www.aurorafossilmuseum.com/ They don't have anything about this year's festival yet, so hopefully they're still doing it.

A very small but enjoyable town with various fossil displays during the festival and a nice shark fossil museum. Make sure you bring a hat or sunscreen cause there's no shade in the digging piles. Good luck!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies. Aurora sounds right up my daughter's alley, so I'll be sure to check it out online.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 07:53 AM

I have a few megladon teeth I happen to have stumbled across. We are in the process of moving and need a few bucks so i decided to sell mine. I have three huge teeth from 3.5" to around 5". They havent been cleaned or anything some still have coral on them. I also have smaller shark teeth that were in the same container as the large ones. Im not quite sure what species they are but they also have coral so iim guessing theyve laid there just as long.