Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Megabus to NYC to Pod Hotel to fizzled bomb in Times Square.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saturday morning for our 25th wedding anniversary DW and I left our son and dog and went from DC up to NYC on the Megabus. The fare was $9 each. We arrived at H and 10th NW around 8:45 for our 9:30 bus. We got great seats at the very front on the top floor of the bus. Very comfortable, great views, wi-fi, electric outlets. Watched the movie "New York, I Love You" on my eeepc. Good movie.

The bus stops briefly outside of Baltimore, got to 7th Ave and 28th Street in NYC at around 2:15. We walked to Park Ave, had lunch at Les Halles, took the 6 train to E. 51st, and walked to the hotel. We were upgraded from bunk room with shared bath to room with bathroom and two double beds. DW was very happy. Roof garden pleasant but not to die for. Cute lobby cafe. Lots of youngish people stay at the Pod. And us. Urban park with waterfall next to synagogue across the street very pleasant.

Off to Times Square. Times square has places to sit and watch the people and lights. The beach chairs have been upgraded to red cafe chairs and tables. Very fun. At 7:50 we got up to walk to the Marquis Theatre, but suddenly everybody was going the other way. Police were closing Times Square, pushing people away from the discovered car bomb at 45th and 7th. We didn't know what was going on and were frustrated we couldn't get to the theatre. We shoulda been happy we weren't blown up. Just goes to show you never know what you've lost till it's gone.

Anyway, we walked in and out of a bad Italian restaurant and then walked back to our Pod Hotel neighborhood and had a nice dinner at the Thai restaurant next door. Leftovers. I finished leftovers, against DW advice, on bus ride home the next day. Sunday morning bus leaves for DC from Madison Square Garden at 8th and 32nd Street.

Watched "It's Complicated" on the eeepc on the way home. Bad movie. Really bad movie. Why'd she need an addition and a new kitchen? She already had marble counter tops. And what kind of woman likes Alex Baldwin in a Porsche? I didn't think the video conference skype call was very funny. Sorta mean spirited. The kids were too well adjusted too. Gag me with a spoon. But, speaking of spoons, the left over Thai dinner was very tasty.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

I think it's you newer know what you've got till it's gone, not lost till it's gone. Hey, hey, put up a parking lot.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Never know.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:33 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow! You were there in the middle of it.
No kidding about being lucky/thankful. Time for another 25 years
Maybe you can try again for a 25.5 year celebration...
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Ticketmaster and the Marquis Theatre are arguing about who is going to refund our money. The box office lady, speaking new yorkese, tells me the producers and ticketmaster are working it out and to call her back in a few days. New York really is an amazing place. So many accents, so many faces, so many ways to dress and ways to be. And a t-shirt vendor is a hero.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:33 AM

The vendor has been there for 20 years. It's his neighborhood.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:38 AM

"I'm the main vendor on that block" - His interview on the Today Show -
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...11022#36911022
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Starrs, thanks for the link.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM

Santa

Here are a few stories the NY Times ran this morning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/ny...ef=todayspaper

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/ny...l?ref=nyregion

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/ny...l?ref=nyregion