Mclaurie, Bardo1 & others-I need help for Easter trip to New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working on my research for a family trip to New York with our almost 16 year old daughter and 10 year old son. They went five years ago but son was too young to enjoy anything except Mars 2112, Central Park and the Met.

We are trying to coordinate our plans with my daughter's high school choir friends who will be there to perform at Carnegie Hall. I feel sure that this group will stay near there for practices, etc.

We stayed at the Parker Meridien previously but would prefer a suites hotel this time. I've read your comments about the affinia group, especially Affinia 50 along with the Beacon, Blakely, Rihga, and Salisbury. We want to pay under $300/night and would like a location near cool shops, museums and restaurants. Our daughter loves vintage clothes! We're not big walkers and would take a cab when necessary. Children have not seen anything on Broadway so we want to do a show or two. Any recommendations for this age group? They would love Spamelot but tickets look very expensive.

I'm just getting overwhelmed and would like some additional input. Thank you very much.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM

For broadway shows: Hairspray, Lion King, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, and the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Bridge and Tunnel is also a great 1 woman performance but not a musical. Check brodwaybox.com for discounts that you can use for advance sael ticket purchases. You can also chek playbill.com for some show and theater info and also discounts.

As far as cool shopping, restaurants and museums...they are spread all over. Probably the coolest shopping area for a 10 & 16 yr old (more for your daughter) would be Greenwich VIllage/Soho. Some vintage shops could be found around there and also in the E.vaillge. There's also some good vintage shopping in Brooklyn. Both kids may enjoy a visit to Little Italy/Chinatown just to walk around and have a bite to eat.

Cabs aren't really necessary. Subways generally are the quickest and easiest ways to get around.

They may also like the Museum of Modern art and the Museum of Natural History. My son's favorite small museum is the Forbes Gallery on 5th av and 13th st. Stop in (it's free) if you take a stroll around the village area (which you should, particularly washington sq park).

Easter week may be busy, so you should try to get your theater tickets now.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:33 AM
GoTravel

The Salisbury would be the best bet for your trip as it is right across the street from Carnegie Hall, a two minute walk from Times Square and the theaters, near tons of Fifth Avenue Shopping, Rockefeller Center, and tons of restaurants.

Book now if you are looking at either Easter Week or President's Week.

Le Parker Meridian does have suites.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

I just received an email from the choir director. The school group is staying at the Roosevelt. Any nice suites hotel near that location? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:47 AM

You don't say when you are coming. This could definitely make a diference in your hotel and theater options price-wise.
Further, discounts for shows are usually available for only a month or two ahead of time.
Incidentally, Spamalot tickets are no more expensive than full-price tickets for most other Broadway musicals. So, if you want to spend less, you may have to wait to get tickets.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, HowardR. We're coming the week after Easter Sunday(April 17-23. Are schools on the east coast out that week?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:41 AM

NYC public schools are on spring break during that time. Most private schools in the area have spring break in March.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I've stayed at Affinia properties in the past and they are terrific. There is a promotion now that gives you $50 off your rate on Sunday nights.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I'd suggest staying right at the Roosevelt. They have suites and it is well located in the city on Madison Ave.

Having sung at Carnegie Hall many times, the choir will only have access to the hall on the day of the performance. There is rehearsal space in the towers at Carnegie, but it is expensive to rent so my guess is that the choir might be at one of the churches in the city for any rehearsals.

The week you are intown is a busy week, so I would suggest you book fairly quickly. You might try www.hotels.com for info on lots of hotels in the city and you can comparison shop.

For shows, I'd suggest Beauty and the Beast as one of the best for kids or Stomp which is in the village.

Tickets are going to be expensive for Broadway so you might try some of the sites like www.playbill.com for some discounts. Another option is to wait till you get here and do TKTS, down in the Financial District. YOu can get there as it opens early in the am, get your tickets and head out for Dim Sum in Chinatown and then Canal St for some fun shopping.

You also might suggest to the choir director to take the kids on the Staten Island Ferry, take the #1 train to South Ferry and the trip is free and is will be one of the highlights of your trip.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Easter week is indeed a busy time in New York. So, you'd be wise to check on hotel accommodations now.
Discount theater tickets is another matter. You probably won't seen any bargains available for that time until March, maybe mid to late February. And, since it is a busy time, you may not have as much of a choice as you'd like.
As for shows that a 16- and 10-year-older would enjoy, I would suggest Hairspray.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:14 AM
GoTravel

Keep in mind both the week before and the week after Easter are school vacations for a school somewhere. If not the week before than the week after.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this project!

Rates at Roosevelt look high for what we would be getting but haven't ruled it out yet.

How far is Affinia 50 from Roosevelt? Is Roosevelt in better location than Affinia 50 or other Affinia properties?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM

about a 10 minute walk. not that big of a deal. The locations are pretty similar.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM

The Roosevelt is 45 st & Madison, the Affinia 50 is 50 st & 3rd. That's pretty close as is the Kimberly. The Blakely (55th b/w 6th & 7th) and the Rihga Royal (54th b/w 6th & 7th) would also be near heading toward the theaters. I would whichever of these is the best deal (largest room for best price)

Oh! The Best Western Hospitality is maybe the closest to the Roosevelt (48th b/w Park & Lexington) and has some 2 bedroom suites. I don't think it's as nice as the Blakely, Affinia 50 or Rihga, but you might get more space for less money.

All of the east side hotels are within walking of Bloomingdales and the other shops around it (H & M, Deisel etc.) that the kids would find cool. But I agree that downtown or even Brooklyn is what's hot and trendy.

You've gotten good advice on shows. Boys your son's age like Blue Man
Group, Stomp and Drumstruck, all off Broadway downtown. There may be some discount available on Broadwaybox but I wouldn't waste time getting tickets.

For on Broadway, Hairspray and Rent are usually teen favs. You should consider doing a separate boy/girl day. Maybe take your daugher to Mama Mia while Dad and son do something else.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:59 AM

What I meant by "I wouldn waste time getting tickets..." is GET THEM RIGHT AWAY. (as opposed to don't bother which is the way it sounded )
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your time. Your comments have helped me so much. We want this to be a very special trip for our family.