Notices

McCarthy or Kennicott

Mar 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

McCarthy or Kennicott

I am debating whether to stay in McCarthy or Kennicott while on a trip to Alaska with my son. We will be coming in on the BackCountry shuttle from Chitina & returning the next day via air taxi?

This is my son'd graduation present. He will be just 17. Any suggestions about whether Ma Johnson's in McCarthy or Glacier Lodge in Kennicott is better? Price is about the same.
Apr 1st, 2013, 11:46 PM

All things being equal, I would rather start the day up in Kennicott than in McCarthy. The McCarthy lodge is much smaller than the Kennicot, so if you like the almost Bed and Breakfast vibe, I would go for McCarthy. The views from the Kennicot are incredible and you could literally spend a day sitting on the porch of the place and feel like your time was well spent, and if you need anything in McCarthy, it's only a 5 mile ride away. Hope that helped and hope it was in time. If you have other questions I'd be glad to help.
Apr 1st, 2013, 11:48 PM

Oh, and I should also say that you can't go wrong either way. You'll have a great time, it's so beautiful that it's been declared illegal in 24 states.

Search this Thread