Reload this Page >

May Honeymoon in Oregon!

Search

May Honeymoon in Oregon!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Rob Kimble

May Honeymoon in Oregon!

My bride and I will be honeymooning for a week in Oregon. Two days in Portland, one along the Columbia River Gorge, two in wine country, and two along the coast. We'd like some advice on hotels, especially something in the Willamette Valley (McMinnville, Newberg, Dundee, etc. Also, romantic places to stay in Newpor, Yachats, Cannon Beach. Thanks.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:00 PM
meg

Just a couple of thoughts: There are two beautiful properties to consider: In the Gorge is Skamania Lodge...very Northwest architecture, beautiful views and a small, but nice spa/pool/hot tub area. Out at the coast is the Stephanie Inn. It's become a special place for many Portlanders. Both properties are very nice, and very romantic for a honeymoon. Downtown Portland the Hotel Luccia is geting alot of attention, I looked in the lobby - a bit too hip for my taste - I prefer the 5th Avenue Suites.
Enjoy - and bring a rainhat - we don't really use umbrellas here!

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Wendy

In the Willamette Valley I HIGHLY recommend the Youngberg Hills b&b. It is fantastic! My boyfriend and I have stayed there twice this year. Gorgeous views of the vineyards, ponds, rolling hills, etc. The two best rooms are the Martini Room with a jucuzzi tub, fireplace and huge private deck and the Jackson room which has a HUGE king size bed, sitting room, private deck and huge bathroom. http://www.youngberghill.com/header.htm

This site will give you lots of info on the area. http://www.yamhillwine.com/index.htm

Also I would make reservations for dinner at the Joel Palmer House. It is amazing and very romantic!!

Have fun!

Wendy

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Julie

Congradulations on your upcoming marriage.

I'd highly recommend a restaurant called Mo's on Cannon Beach--best crab cakes ever! Not fancy, but right on the beach.

(I hope you both don't mind rain--Oregon gets a lot in April.)

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:53 AM
anotherjulie

the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach is very romantic.
(Also, ignore those "we don't use umbrellas here" comments. I've lived in Oregon all my life; lots of us use umbrellas).

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Martin

Anyone from Oregon who says they use an umbrella must be either A) over 65 or B)a businessman/woman from Portland.
As for suggesting the low cost and loud chair resturant Mo's for a romantic location for a honeymoon couple...get real! I do agree about Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach. In Yachats area the Kittiwake is a romantic B&B.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:07 PM
meg

Thanks for the suggestions. We are staying at The Stephanie Inn. Even now, the Hotel Luccia is booked! I reserved rooms at the Mallory. Any thoughts there? What about Restaurants?
Thanks again.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Rob Kimble

Wendy,

Thanks so much for the Yamhill website!
My wife-to-be didn't want to do a B&B, so we're staying at The Hotel Oregon in Mcminnville, but we are dining at The Joel Palmer House. The menu looked great! Any wineries there treat you better than another?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Frank

Rob..pay no attention to Martin,sounds like a transplanted Californian..
Check out Tina's in Dundee for dinner..
The Stephanie Inn has a great dinner on the weekends..fixxed price, 7 course meal..very good

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Gay

You asked about Yachats. We stayed at the Overleaf in October. I was impressed with the room decor. The place is reasonably priced, includes breakfast, and is located right on a 6 mile trail along the ocean. There is also some rocky surf area to look at. As for Portland, my recollection of the Mallory is that it is old. There is a nice Marriott boutique hotel on Broadway which sometimes offers a good rate. Also, at the beach Inn at Otter Crest could be a romantic location. However, if it is rainy, ask for a room with one of the little fireplaces and a good view, so you don't have to be out in the rain.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:43 AM
beachbum

Meg,
The Mallory is an old hotel located several blocks outside the city core. You can do a lot better. I'd look at the Heathman, Vintage Plaza, and Fifth Avenue Suites as well as the suggested Marriott.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Andrew

I'd give the Hotel Vintage Plaza a whirl also. My friend used to work there - nice rooms. Though I like the photography of David Hume Kennerly show around the Lucia next door, after seeing the rooms both places I'd give the edge to the Vintage Plaza.

Andrew

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Martin

No Frank I was born in Medford Oregon.
I bet however that you are either over 65 or from southern California yourself.
More likely the later.

And I meant to call Mo's a loud CHAIN
restuarant although I bet their chairs are loud too, you just can't hear them over the constant din of noise from all those eager eaters shouting at each other as they gobble their chowder.