Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui - which part to stay in? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-which-part-to-stay-in-756777/)

dailln4n4 Dec 14th, 2008 03:43 PM

Maui - which part to stay in?

Hi,

We are planning a last minute 5 day trip to Maui. I've been before but with my family. This time it's just with my boyfriend and we are looking for someplace low key but still convenient and central.

Although it's only 5 nights, i was also thinking of spending 1 night in hana.

Any thoughts, suggestions here?

thanks!

portobelloB Dec 27th, 2008 11:21 AM

Aloha,

I may be too late - when are you leaving?

suze Dec 28th, 2008 11:35 AM

Lahaina

volcanogirl Dec 28th, 2008 02:18 PM

We thought Wailea was beautiful and romantic.

nyctraveler11 Dec 31st, 2008 07:03 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton Maui in Kaanapali and it was awesome - only a 5-10 min drive to Lahaina and right next to Whalers Village.

sf7307 Dec 31st, 2008 08:38 AM

<i>right next to Whalers Village</i>

well, sort of :-) (in between, there's The Whaler Resort, the Westin, and the Kaanapali Beach Hotel).

dailln4n4 Jan 1st, 2009 10:35 AM

hi!

Sorry for some reason my posting was duplicate, so a previous responder had told me to keep in mind the weather given the forecast for a rainier than normal time of year.

Given we wanted someplace sleepier, but dry, it seems like South Maui was the place the be. There was a pretty good special on expedia for the maui prince, with car rental for under $1K so we booked it. We did want to spend a night in Hana, but that may be pushing it.

Now we're just doing all the research! So thanks everyone for your input and Happy New Year!

portobelloB Jan 2nd, 2009 08:39 PM

Aloha,

Wow, that is incredible deal that you got. I wouldn't say that the Maui Prince is central but since you have a car you aren't far from Wailea/Kihei. You are very close to McKenna beach which is beautiful.

We are leaving next Saturday for Kauai for one week and then spending another week in Maui. We always stay in a condo or the Mana Kea Maui hotel which is right on the border of Kihei/Wailea. We feel it's a great location. The white-sand Keawakapu beach is a short stroll away and you can walk along the beaches and Wailea resorts for about 3 miles. You can see humpback whales easily from the beach. In fact, a couple of years ago, we saw two humpback whales so closed to shore that everyone just couldn't believe it, it was an incredible sight to witness.

We have driven to Hana many times to spend the day and spent the night there once. Unfortunately, I don't have the name of the condo we stayed (it was years ago). We drove to Hana when we were there last year and did it in a day. We hiked to red sand beach and then had a relaxing lunch at Hotel Hana. It is always nice to have another day to be able to explore Hana but it's doable day trip if you start out early.

Another little place that we discovered is called Makawao, a cute artist town (on the way to Mount Haleakala) that is worth a stop.

Have a fabulous trip in paradise!

TTess Jan 2nd, 2009 09:11 PM

Makena, Makena, Makena..it's not Irish! Aloooha!

TTess Jan 2nd, 2009 09:12 PM

Or Scottish!

elsiemoo Jan 3rd, 2009 11:22 AM

dailln4n4, my favorite area to stay is Wailea/Kihei area.

portobello, what type of unit do you rent at Mana Kai Maui, and who do you rent from? We always stayed at the Renaissance before it's demise ... several times, in fact, but I always thought the MKM would be a less expensive but still nice place to stay!

iamq Jan 3rd, 2009 11:29 AM

LOL TTess.

Maui Prince has a nice beach with great snorkeling off the left. You will probably see lots of turtles.