Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui-Where to stay--which part of the island? How to get there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-where-to-stay-which-part-of-the-island-how-to-get-there-778593/)

wendydenny Apr 12th, 2009 01:13 PM

Maui-Where to stay--which part of the island? How to get there?

We are finally going back to Hawaii and want to do Maui. I realize it is a bigger island than Kaui and want to know which part of the island is best to base our stay? Also, any hotel or condo recommendations for that part of the island?
Can we book our flight from Oahu to Maui through Delta, or do we need to do that separately? What airline if that is the case? Thanks for the advice.

FrankS Apr 12th, 2009 01:22 PM

Delta has direct flights to Maui from the mainland, you dont have to go through Oahu. As for a place to stay, what are you looking for and what type of budget?

saige Apr 12th, 2009 02:02 PM

Maui has a vast array of accommodations, what's your travel style? Luxury hotel? Self-catering cottage on the beach? What do you want to do on Maui? We need more information from you.

montereybob Apr 12th, 2009 03:30 PM

There is so much you should know about Maui ---it's areas, sights, hotels, condos, restaurants and activities before you plan your trip. You can't possibly get all the info from posting online. The travel guide that will answer all your questions and many you didn't know to ask is "Maui Revealed" by Doughty. Pick one up at your bookstore or buy it used an Amazon. It will greatly enhance your trip.

wendydenny Apr 19th, 2009 07:33 AM

I think we do not want to stay in a hotel the entire time because of the expense. Possibly a condo would be the solution. I am just starting this journey and plan on buying the book Maui Revealed, but am looking for advice as to condos people have had good experiences with and also what part of the island to base our stay in. Thanks for any advice.

montereybob Apr 19th, 2009 09:26 AM

I have stayed in the Masters condos and the Kaanapali Plantation condos on Kaanapali hillside. Both were excellent. The Masters being the higher end and more expensive of the two. Also there are a lot of fabulous condos in the Kapalua resort. All these are on the "west side" which is one of two of the major resort areas on Maui. The other is the "south side" or Kihei/Wailea area. Those are all the areas that are best to base your stay in for the most beautiful resorts and best beaches. You can find listing and prices of all these condos at vrbo.com. Maui Revealed will give you detailed descriptions and pros and cons of each area and the condo projects.

ElendilPickle Apr 19th, 2009 06:39 PM

Wizard Publications (the company that publishes the "Revealed" books) has condo reviews on their website - www.wizardpub.com

Lee Ann

concorde65 Apr 21st, 2009 11:31 AM

Wailea condos are the best on the island, there are a variety of them - some are not directly on the beach so double check. Kihei will probably be the cheapest though it is not the most aesthetically pleasing part of Maui....

suze Apr 21st, 2009 11:33 AM

I enjoy Lahaina, but that's because I like to be somewhere easy walking distance to lots of shops, restaurants, bars, etc. This may or may not matter to you.

wendydenny Apr 25th, 2009 07:54 AM

I have the Maui revealed book and have already begun checking out condos at vrbo.com. Is the weather good in September still--I am hoping it is balmy but not too hot.Also--can't choose between Wailea and Kaanapali. What are pros and cons of each.
Has anyone stayed at the Whaler in Kaanapali?

sf7307 Apr 25th, 2009 10:38 AM

I've stayed at the Whaler and I've stayed on Kaanapali Beach (different place) in September. Let me know what you want to know, but you can see my review of the Whaler on tripadvisor (same screen name). Kaanapali in September was fabulous -- gorgeous weather, and pretty empty.

wendydenny Apr 26th, 2009 11:20 AM

I have been looking at the Whaler and it seems that Tower 1 is the best. Now for the next part--one review said the units are rated by the staff--any idea how to find that rating. Secondly--rent through Resortquest.com or vrbo.comand hope the owners are honest.

sf7307 Apr 26th, 2009 01:28 PM

When you rent through ResortQuest, you don't know what unit you are getting, so the reviews on tripadvisor are meaningless. When you rent through vrbo, you are renting a specific unit directly from the owner of that unit. Dooesn't mean the unit is better or worse. We rented directly from the owner, the owner was very nice, and very honest, and we still weren't impressed (with the unit or The Whaler). Just be aware that there is no consistency among units, which are individually owned, maintained and decorated.

FrankS Apr 26th, 2009 01:33 PM

An advantage of dealing with Resortquest is that if you dont like the first unit, they will give you another unit. Outrigger has been really good in this area for us.

wendydenny May 1st, 2009 05:03 AM

OK.. Now really confused. Back to choices again--Kaanapali or Weilea-which is better? Most units on Wailea do not look like they are on a beach so any suggestions as to where to stay there would be great too. We do not want a remote area because we like a bit of nighttime activity. Also-does the Outrigger have condo units or is it just a hotel and where is it?
Also looking at Papakea Resorts-does anyone have experience staying there?

FrankS May 1st, 2009 05:52 AM

If you are looking for condo units on the beach, kaanapali area will offer you the best variety. Outrigger has a few properties that they manage, like Papakea. I mentioned Outrigger because they will offer you another unit(if available) if the managed unit you are first given is unsuitable. Remember, many of these managed properties have individually owned units. Its not unusual to have a upgraded unit renting for the same price as an outdated unit.

sf7307 May 1st, 2009 05:54 PM

I am not certain, but although Papakea is in a terrific location, I don't think it's on the beach (it may be on the ocean, but sans beach). I'm not 100% sure I'm thinking of the right place.

DadTravel May 7th, 2009 10:53 PM

The past couple of trips we've stayed in the Kaanapali area to be right on the beach, close to daytime/nighttime activities, and access to restaurants/shopping. On the last trip we actually stayed at a friend's timeshare at the Kaanapali Beach Club. It is right on the beach and was really nice since it just got remodeled. Some places are hit/miss as we stayed at another resort the previous trip and it wasn't at all what we expected and ended up booking a hotel halfway through the trip.

iamq May 8th, 2009 05:57 AM

I would look at properties in south Kihei just before it becomes Wailea. Mana Kai, Hale Hui Kai and Kihei Surfside would be my choices because of the location. Wailea Ekahi is nice. Most of the units are up away from the beach, but the complex has a nice beachfront pool and beachfront on Keawakapu Beach. Wailea Elua is beachfront. Polo Beach is beachfront. Makena Surf is beachfront. Wailea Beach Villas is beachfront.

Driving to the many gorgeous beaches in this area is no problem as they are all within 2 or 3 miles of each other.

We have friends who stay at Palms at Wailea every year and love it. Not technically on the beach, but very close and some units have nice ocean views.