Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui - Westin or Hyatt (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-westin-or-hyatt-117800/)

Paula Apr 10th, 2001 03:34 AM

Maui - Westin or Hyatt

My husband and I are going to Maui for six nights and are trying to decide between the Westin and the Hyatt. We know the Hyatt property is beautiful, but we hear the beach is not great for swimming (which we enjoy). On the other hand, we've read the Westin's beachfront is beautiful and the pool is great, but it's located right next to the Whaler's Shopping Village (we don't care about going shopping!). Not sure if this location would be too noisy or congested. Any help would be appreciated! <BR>Paula

Frank Apr 10th, 2001 04:28 AM

Paula: Both hotels are on the same beach, Kaanapali Beach, which is 3 miles long. Stay at the hotel you prefer and simply walk along the beach until you find your ideal spot! I believe the Hyatt is preferrable.

Marie Apr 13th, 2001 02:38 PM

We just got back and walked both properties while we were there, they both have great pools, but the Westin does not have the space the Hyatt seemed to have, therefore it seemed crowded. If you love the beach you are right it is more narrow at the Hyatt, you should look into the Sheraton, it is right on black rock (excellent snorkel spot) it is on the widest and best part of Kaanapali beach and it also has lots of property and a nice pool. <BR> <BR>In answer to your question, I'd pick the Hyatt over the Westin, based on what we saw, but check out the Sheraton.

dana Apr 14th, 2001 08:18 AM

I'd pick the Hyatt over the Westin also. <BR>I'd also pick the Hyatt over the Sheraton too. All are nice properties, but each has their own appeal. Whaler's <BR>Village is not noisy, so if you're going with the Westin then don't worry <BR>about the noise. Hyatt is at very end of <BR>the strip, so you will have to walk further to get to everything else, but the property is very nice. Sheraton is a nice location, however, because of the location on the beach at the opposite end of the Hyatt. I really didn't care as much for the Sheraton, however, because the rooms were a lot <BR>smaller than Hyatt's and also at the Hyatt you get breakfast included in your <BR>package deal, and at the Sheraton we didn't. They gave $25 a day resort credit, buy we couldn't use it for breakfast, and we did not want to be limited to their resort for dinners and such. <BR>

steve Apr 16th, 2001 04:39 AM

True that the Hyatt's beach isn't great, but it next to the Marriott which has a great beach. The Hyatt's pool area is the best. <BR> <BR>Enjoy.

Kris Apr 17th, 2001 11:31 AM

Paula: My husband and I spent our honeymoon two years ago and another week this past Feb. at the Westin and absolutely loved it both trips. While the Westin pool might be just a bit smaller than the Hyatt's, we thought it was much more interesting, with pools on several levels, waterfalls, swim-through caves, etc. The beach at the Westin is also a bit nicer, as it's on a more protected stretch so it's not as windy. Don't worry about noise or crowds from Whaler's Village - it's just not a problem. The only drawback to the Hyatt beach section that we found by strolling through, is that it's at the end of the Kaanapali beach area and it's where everyone goes to do their snorkeling, so it's quite crowded and can be somewhat more littered. My hubby loves to snorkel so he enjoyed it there, but when it came time to just relax on the beach, we headed back to the Westin. Go to the Westin Hotels web site and you'll see some nice photos of the Westin Maui. Aloha and have fun!

Jeanne Apr 17th, 2001 01:53 PM

I lived in Hawaii 14 yrs & absolutely loved every minute I spent at the Maui Hyatt. The Swan Court Restaurant was so fabulous! The live Hawaiian music at the outdoor type bar was so beautiful. There is no better place to spend for relaxation, romance, and/or fun!

amy Apr 17th, 2001 02:09 PM

I know that you mentioned the Westin and the Hyatt, but I must tell you that I went to Maui this past October for my honeymoon and I stayed in there different parts of the island. When in Wailea, we stayed at the Renaissance Wailea. It was the most beautiful hotel and location that I have ever stayed in and I have done a lot of traveling. It is worth looking into. Beautiful rooms, pool area and beach area. Great location for other restaurants, shopping etc...