Maui vs. Kauai & the chickens??

Apr 1st, 2005, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Maui vs. Kauai & the chickens??

Hi, after Oahu for a week, we will be going to 1 island Thurs afternoon through Sat night. We were all set to book Kauai until... A HI resident who works w/ my hub had this to say:

he said that Maui would be a way better choice. He said there is absolutely nothing to do on kauaui. He goes there for scuba diving occasionally, but he said the island itself is very rural. He even said the whole island is infested with chickens. Even in the super upscale resorts, they are everywhere.

--I've never heard anything about any Kauai chickens...obviously an occasional chicken here or there is okay, but if they are pecking at me while I'm sleeping that's another story (ha ha). Anyway, HELP...we like outdoorsy stuff like hiking and swimming, etc. , We've never been to either island so want to make the "right" choice. help... Thanks!
Apr 1st, 2005, 03:28 AM

As Kal, has previously noted: "nobody here but us ~gt;~gt;~gt;"

IMHO, they occur about the same frequency as do squirrels on the east coast mainland and are similarly innocuous, and nowhere near as often as pigeons on the mainland. Speaking of squirrels, one additional surprising creature resembling a squirrel that we have encountered on Maui and the Big Island is the mongoose.
Apr 1st, 2005, 05:04 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that this advice is coming from a Hawaii resident, so his opinion is different from a tourist's. I used to live on Oahu myself and I also wasn't impressed with Kauai. But I saw gorgeous ocean views every day, spent my weekends hiking on rainy mountaintops and swam in lovely blue water whenever I wanted. I was already getting a touch of "island fever" when I went to Kauai, so going to an island that was smaller than Oahu with waaaay less people wasn't a good thing for me.

With that out of the way, I think Kauai would be a better choice to pair with Oahu than Maui. Maui is nice, but it's sort of like a scaled down Oahu (again, my opinion).
Apr 1st, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Actually, MerryT that is a really good way of putting it and it totally makes sense. Thanks!!!
Apr 1st, 2005, 09:30 AM

There are plenty of free range chickens on Kauai, but they didn't detract one bit from our visit last year. I actually came to enjoy hearing them at odd times during the day and night. I don't know why your husbands friend said there was nothing to do, we spent seven days with non-stop activities. Kauai is what I imagine when I think of paradise: lush and green, quiet, welcoming, and indescribably beautiful.

I'll let you know how Maui compares when I get back from my trip in May...
Apr 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM

I'm not sure why, but I did not notice as many last summer as I did the summer before.

In the week I spent at the Hyatt I never saw any chickens there...except for the ones on the menu at the restaurants there!

Go to Kauai.

-Bill

Apr 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM

It really just depends on what interests you. Kauai is just not MY cup of tea, so to speak but as you will see, there are many many people here who absolutely love it, sooooo....I love the other three islands, Oahu, Maui, and the BI. I would never tell you not to go to Kauai..I mean what can be bad? It's beautiful, laid back, it's Hawaii and you may fall in love. Or if you don't, then it's "been there, done that" and don't have to do it again. I'm always up for going to "any place I haven't been" if I get and chance to go there. The only way you'll know for sure if you like it or not is to go there.
Apr 1st, 2005, 10:17 AM

MerryT is dead on IMO.

Maui is a scaled down Oahu.

If you're already staying on Oahu go to Kauai for sure.

Chickens? For someone to even bring this up (it's really not even an issue) tells me he may just not like Kauai for some reason.

The only reason I'd tell someone NOT to go to Kauai would be if you're into a lot of nightlife, clubbing, etc. But why would one come to Hawaii for that?
Apr 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM

What's not to like about chickens?! And "free-range" at that! I always wondered where they ranged. We stayed on Maui at the Ritz and it was great. If you go to Maui and go on the "road to Hana" be sure to continue on the road and loop around the south side of the island, rather than returning the way you came. Don't turn back or you'll miss some of the most gorgeous sites on the island! They tell you not to go that way, but it was the absolute highlight of our time on Maui.
Apr 1st, 2005, 11:42 PM

Re "absolutely nothing to do on Kauai," I guess it depends on why you go to Hawaii in the first place. There's no razzmatazz on Kauai, but lots to see and do if you're into the laid back lifestyle, incredibly beautiful scenery, and discovering nooks and crannies where there are interesting shops and interesting people. Every time we go, we spend time just sort of flinging ourselves down a little road where we've never been, to see what's there. We've had some great discoveries and experiences. And re chickens -- we saw plenty of them, and heard them too, on Anini Road in January. They're beautiful, and fun to watch, and the roosters do crow before dawn. But the place isn't overrun with them, for Pete's sakes, and they'll stay clear of you unless you make the mistake of feeding them . . . in which case they will show up regularly at dinnertime with their whole family and a few friends. Well, wherever you go, have a wonderful time!
Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:29 AM

Just goes to show how important it is to do your own reasearch and form your own opinion on which island best suits what you're looking for in a vacation. Lots of great things about all the islands. Some of us think the BEST thing a vacation destination could provide is "absolutely nothing to do" and being able to do it with a few chickens. The good news is you'll absolutely LOVE whichever island you finally decide on.

Enjoy!...(12 days and counting until the chickens and I are doing absolutely NOTHING!)

Apr 11th, 2005, 11:17 PM

Having spent time on both islands, I recommend Kauai hands down UNLESS nightlife is your primary desire for your vacation. Maui is congested; Kauai has nightlife and shopping but is more relaxed and rural...it's wonderful.

Treat yourself to the Hyatt for cocktails or dinner!
Apr 12th, 2005, 01:17 AM

"Maui is congested"

lol

I love it. This is "congestion" I can live with.

BTW, Maui has chickens too. You probably won't see them if spend all your time in the congested areas.

Apr 12th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Just got back, Saturday, from both Kauai and Maui, 1 week at each, bypassing Oahu this trip. (We prefer spending 1 week per island, rather than less time on more islands, or vice versa.) Had a great time at both, will go back, again, to both. We hadn't been to Kauai for several trips, and it seems like the growth/development has really started to catch on in Kauai as well. As far as picking one island over the other, well, both places have so much variety, it really depends what activities you like the most. Obviously, Maui has more night life and what some may call "action". (I like Kauai more, my wife, Maui....we golfed 7 times, golf on both islands is great!) Supper on our last night on the islands was at Cafe Hanalei in the Princeville Resort, and we were not disappointed, that was one spectacular sunset view, to enjoy our best meal on this Hawaiian holiday! (No, neither I nor my wife had chicken to eat, but that wasn't because of all the "wild ones" we saw. "Infested" is too strong a word to use, to describe the chicken population, and it seems that they are pretty harmless, at least, to me.) I suggest that you pick one island, and go to the other one, on your NEXT trip! /Ren