Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui vs. Big Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-vs-big-island-769564/)

lauramsgarden Feb 25th, 2009 01:50 PM

Maui vs. Big Island

For natural beauty and restful vacation which would you recommend?

gyppielou Feb 25th, 2009 01:53 PM

Big Island, which I have never been to, or Hana on Maui, which could likely be too secluded for a whole vacation.

So BI would be my choice between the two.

LaurenKahn1 Feb 25th, 2009 01:56 PM

I have been to both. They are both different. You can't go wrong with either one. It just depends what YOU want.

travelinandgolfin Feb 25th, 2009 04:43 PM

We live in Hawaii and without a doubt, the BI is our favorite vacation spot, especially if you want something more laid back.

However, if you want a bit more "excitement," a bit more hustle and bustle, though not quite as bad as Oahu, than Maui would be more to your liking.

SiteC_er Feb 25th, 2009 05:29 PM

Since you've been to the BI, have you considered Kauai? Much better than Maui (IMHO)

annw Feb 25th, 2009 07:23 PM

Lived on Oahu and still do part time. Prefer the BI for time out, from Kohala coast to up country.

climber45 Feb 26th, 2009 02:32 AM

Have you stayed at pond house near hilo in the puna area called k ... tidepools etc.(sorry about the spelling)We found this on the www.vrbo.com site.Stayed in a place called 90 degree themo pool.It was in a gated comunity.a 2 bedroom house.washer no dryer,but a fun deck with bbq.table futon stars to pool with more chairs. lights around pond very restful.Only a couple of other houses around this pond.You do see some fish.Level of this large pond goes with the tides,so small children must be watched.Not as saltly as ocean.VERY RELAXING.wE DIDN'T SEE ANY OUTLAWS in the town close to it.It is close to a place called champaine pond(again sorry about the spelling)which is about .5 k.We were in our own little world out there.It isn't too far from hilo or the volcano and in May the weather was great.

CarolWeaver Feb 26th, 2009 03:53 AM

Maui is more scenic in my opinion. Both are great...I prefer Maui.

FrankS Feb 26th, 2009 04:56 AM

Maui

colombiana Feb 26th, 2009 05:10 AM

lauramsgarden:
As others have mentioned they are both different if you are ONLY looking for restful vacation they I too would go with Maui, since they do have more choices of places to stay that are ocean front and you could just get a lounge chair and relax. Don't get me wrong their are also alot of places that you can visit and see for its beauty but they take less "work" than those in the BI. Also you can pretty much stay anywhere and be closer than if you were to do it in the BI for obvious reasons. Have a grate time planning when do you plan to visit?

dfr4848 Feb 26th, 2009 06:59 AM

For restful and natural beauty, we prefer BI. The diversity of the topography, plants, scenery, etc is incredible and it is much more laid back than Maui IMO. Certainly wouldn't turn down trip to Maui, but the BI is our favorite.

volcanogirl Feb 26th, 2009 02:27 PM

Between those two, I would go with the Big Island, but have you considered Kauai? We thought it was gorgeous; the Na Pali Coast is the prettiest place I've ever seen, very quiet too.

climber45 Feb 27th, 2009 02:26 AM

WE stayed in a kapoho area of puna district on the big island.It is located near hilo.stayed in a gated area in a house called something like 90 degree themo pond.It is a 2 bedroom 1 bath with clothes washer,The pond had fish in it for snorkling.The depth went and came as the tides,so a child would need to be watch,not as saltly as ocean.Oh,you can see the property by looking at www.vrbo.com and go to puna dist and than kapaho.Although there were 2 other houses we saw no one else using this pond.It was lite at nite so you could enjoy it also.A nice bbq. futon,outside table on deck and also chairs near pond.lots of floatie type things to use also.less than 1/2 of a k to the champame pond sen in the blue book revealed.PRICES on the big island seem to be a lot less than on maui and kauai,at least for gas.You are too far from the town of pahaa which has good mexican food,and also vegan.You can also see the volcano from a different view,at the end of the road nice cafe with lots of character.This place is very non tourtisty,relaxing.you can go to the tide pools or hilo for starbucks or just hang out in your own little would at the pond and maybe a short walk to the ocean.We went last may and the weather was perfect for us.not to hot and not much rain if any. enjoy regardless of what you choose

martym Mar 16th, 2009 04:55 PM

Here's another house in Puna--at Kapoho--where we have stayed several times. Great place--www.lagoonhouse.com