Maui trip report and opinion on Cliffhouse at A'apali of Pali Uli

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from Maui?. . I just wanted to mention a few things that I have not seen in prior trip reports:
1) There is a severe drought that is being reported in the newspapers in Maui and is reflected in the number and quality of waterfalls on the road to Hana.
2) We were told by locals that there is a major drug problem, which is evident by the number of car break-ins. You may see glass on the ground as you travel around the island from recent car break ins. We were told to leave our car unlocked, with nothing in view. Do not leave anything of value in the car, including purses in the trunk. I have to say this impacted our enjoyment and made us very nervous as we were using our car insurance (Allstate) and our Visa Platinum card to cover the liability part of our automobile rental. (we saved $250 by doing so.) We still had a wonderful time, but it was on our minds.

We stayed four days at the Hyatt in Kaanapali. Cascades restaurant at the Hyatt had a late night menu (and lots of atmosphere) which we enjoyed after returning from Warren and Annabelles in Lahaina, which is a not to miss show. We are not the kind of people who would usually go to this type of show, but could not resist after the recommendations of Maui Revealed. We enjoyed both the Warren and the Annabelle (pre-show) part. I think it depends on the mix of the audience and the level of participation in the Annabelle part of the show, but our recommendation is to see both parts.

For those of you who are first time snorklers, contact Ann Fielding, who is marine biologist who takes out small groups and is also a recommendation from Maui Revealed. Her website is http://www.maui.net/~annf/ Not only did she supply all gear, she enriched the experience by explaining with pictures, what marine life we would expect to see. She chose a location that was perfect regarding the surf and visibility of the day. She took a total of 5 people (including us). She takes a boogie board in to the water with her, in case anybody feels the need to hold onto something on occasion. In addition she takes a few extra masks in case the one you had, was not a perfect fit once you entered the water. She also included food and drinks. We had a wonderful time, and I do not think we would have snorkeled if not for her. (I get very sick on boats, so a boat snorkel trip was not an option.)

For the last 8 nights on Maui, we headed up to the North-East side of the island, just past mile marker 3 on the Hana Highway where we rented the Cliffhouse at A'apali of Pali Uli. http://www.maui.net/~paliuli/estate.html This was such a wonderful experience, and really made our trip to Maui very special. We had our own private hot tub on a cliff overlooking the ocean and mountains. There is a waterfall, which due to the draught on Maui, was at a trickle, but never-the less, spectacular. It also has a private pool. There are outdoor showers, which if you have never showered naked outside within rain forest foliage, you are definitely missing something very special. On occasion due to mother nature, we were able to shower outside (with hot water) while it was raining, which was even more spectacular. Every morning we arose to see the sun rise over the cliff while in the hot tub. Be warned though, this is on the edge of the rain forest, and ?wildlife? such as geckos did make their way into the cliffhouse, although they were no bother to us, except for the occasional gecko ?noise?. The house is well equipped with all kitchen necessities, barbeque, cable TV, and stereo system. Laundry facilities are in the garage. There is also a separate area on the property where you can relax at a lotus pond and a Jacuzzi. I have to say, if you are the type who likes to bake on the beach, this is not the place for you, although there is Hoopalooka beach about 10 minutes away, where I?m told there is the best windsurfing on the planet. There is no air conditioning, but being on the mountain, with trade winds, we found that a/c was not necessary.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Thank you for your trip report. I was interested in staying there but they are booked during my trip in January. We will be staying close by at the Huelo Point Flower Farm. I will be sure to post a report after my return.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 03:56 PM
bquarre

wolfshin: Thanks for your comments about the A'apali Ocean Outlook. Any problems with privacy? How do the grounds and condition of the property compare with the photos on their website? What did you do about your meals while there? Thanks.

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:50 PM
bquarre

wolfshin?

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 06:18 PM

Interesting info on how to combat car break-ins. Did you follow advice of the locals and leave your car unlocked. My family and I will be in Maui first two weeks in December and are thinking of leaving car unlocked and windows down. What do you think? Is this a solution to the problem or inviting more problems. Thanks.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I did not see the last post for a request for more information from bquarre and yendys.
bquarre: No problem with privacy. You can walk around naked all you like. The pool cleaner will call you from the garage where there is an office and ask if he can enter the pool area. The ground conditions are good. There was some cracked slate around the pool area which was hard on the feet, which we suggested that they repair. We did not sleep in the sleeping accomodations across from the pool as the sleeping area in the house seemed much more appealing and was closer to the bathroom in the middle of the night. In regard to the photos on the website, I would say they looked five star to us, and reality was less than that but the exclusiveness and uniqueness of the place made up for the 'warts' while there. As I said before the biggest annoyance was the noise that the geckos made, sometimes in the middle of the night. We went to Costco for food, and into Paia for minor things. depending upon how long you stay, and how many meals you eat at the house, this should be a consideration on time, since you cannot walk to a grocery store. We stayed 8 days, and barbequed about half of that time because we enjoyed eating and drinking while sitting on the edge of the cliff, using the hottub in the evening, etc., rather than driving to restaurants which were not as convenient (except for Mama's).
yendys: As for the breakins, we were told that drug addicts were the cause of the breakins and that they were looking for things to sell and get cash for, rather than a joy ride. I do not know if this is true or not, but this is what we were told by a transplanted Californian.
Hope this is helpful.