Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui, the Big Island or Kaui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-the-big-island-or-kaui-470320/)

belle1031 Aug 27th, 2004 07:37 AM

Maui, the Big Island or Kaui

We are looking into go to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We are looking either to go to def. to Maui and the big island or Kaui. Then to go to honolulu to see Pearl Harbor and Waikikki Beach. Our dillema is to do Kaui or the big island. We love beaches, exploring and lush beauty. Any suggestions on either The Big Island or Kaui.
Thanks!

BettyInToronto Aug 27th, 2004 07:45 AM

I did the BI and Kauai in May but if you "love beaches, exploring and lush beauty" - I suggest Kauai. Stay on the east coast to be central to explore both the beautiful north shore and the Waimea Canyon near the west coast.

Betty

Kal Aug 27th, 2004 07:47 AM

Aloohaaa,
Congrats on the HM.

We've never been to BI but some of our friends that have been to both Kauai and BI say while they liked the BI, if you want beaches, scenery,etc., Kauai is their choice.

Just type "Kauai" in the Fodor's text search for some good Kauai tips.

But if you're HM is over New Year's, go to BI...because we'll be in Kauai and it's too crowded New Year's week! ;)
Mucho mahalos!

didi Aug 28th, 2004 07:20 AM

If you like beaches and off the beaten path exploring, then Kauai has something to offer. There is the canyon which we have hiked, all the waterfalls and beaches. One beach in particular, Hanakapiai beach. You have to go to Kee beach at the end of the road one the notrh shore. In the parking lot is a trailhead and if you don't mind a 2 mile hike along the cliffs of the Napli coast to a secluded beach nestled between 2 cliffs, this is the beach to see. The views along the way could otherwise only be seen from a helicopter and they are beautiful.

I would recommend go early to get parking and give yourself some time, about a 60 minute hike, pack a lunch and plenty of water and good shoes. The hike will be difficult if you wear sandels.

LOYL Aug 28th, 2004 07:49 AM

I've been to both the BI and Kauai and love them both. For a honeymoon, featuring lush beauty and beaches, I'd probably pick Kauai. Take a boatride along the Napali Coast to see lush greenery, waterfalls are great, and the beaches are better than BI. Of course, the BI has the volcano and the rain forest- beaches aren't quite as good. You have two great choices. And it's a great idea to visit Pearl Harbor- very somber and moving experience.
Congratulations in advance!

LOYL Aug 28th, 2004 07:50 AM

PS- also been to Maui and have a been there did that attitude. I would, however, go to Kauai and BI over and over and over and....

Pumpy Aug 28th, 2004 05:09 PM

LOYL has said it all. Maui is too touristy and thus resembles Oahu IMHO. Choosing between Kauai & BI is a win win (you can't go wrong) situation. However, based on what you've written, I believe you should consider Kauai. Enjoy!