MAUI T.R. 4/05 - Part 4 of 4

Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

MAUI T.R. 4/05 - Part 4 of 4

Day 5

Another beautiful day. Headed into Lahaina to find Pacific Whale Foundation. Parked at the Banyan Tree and checked-in at the counter. Visited the cafe next door for muffins and coffee. Headed to the banyan tree for our 8:00 tour with PWF. Turns out there were only 42 people on the entire tour. Could often be over 140 people.

Headed out from Lahaina harbor in the direction of Molokini on the lookout for whales. Saw several spouts in the difference. Finally came upon a mother and calf. It was awesome. Able to get some great pictures and video clips with the digital camera. There was another small boat that got right up on the whales. They were researchers.

After tours hours, headed back to Lahaina harbor. Spent the day walking around and visiting different shops. Stopped at the Int'l marketplace and grabbed lunch at Kahuna kabobs. The fish kabobs are great. Also grabbed 1/2 order of fried prawns and a coke from the restaurant next door. Three prawns. Peeled off batter and enjoyed the three. Left the fries and drank the coke. $6. Can definitely be omitted.

Favorite store for me on Front ST was Sargeant Leisure. Purchased some qualit long sleeve shirts. Left Lahaina and headed to Whalers Village. Shopped some and headed to dinner at Hula Grill. The restuarant was closed to a private party. Ate at the barefoot bar at 5:30. Our meal:
-chicken egg rolls
-mai tai
-burger w/blue cheese
-BBQ Pork
-Grilled Fish sand
-Baked Hawaii (skip this dessert)

Took pictures of the sunset and enjoyed the free polynesian show in the middle of whaler's village. Headed back to hotel and had drinks and key lime pie at Cascades. Only one of us had dessert and she raved over it. Later called it a night.

Day 6

Time to head to the mainland. Went to the athletic center to work out. Awesome facility. All kinds of equipment. Then had breakfast at the Swan Court. 21.95 per person. great food. Now, for great portuguese sausage, you must visit here. It was relaxing to enjoy breakfast while watching the swans. Relaxed in the room until our 2:00 check-out time. Decided not to ask for a hospitality room since we had a 9:00 flight.

Purchased gas in Lahaina. 32.72, and we had a small car! Headed toward Kihie. Had a few things to pick up at Hilo Hattie. While there, found directions to the mall in Kahului. Walked around and had dinner at Maui Tacos. Pretty good. Left the mall about 7:00 p.m. and headed to the airport.

Returned the car, and got in line to check in. Got to the front and had to get out of line because we did not go through agriculture first. No problem. Line was not long. Once again realized the flight was not full. Because we got there early, we were each able to get a full row to ourselves. Even first class can't beat that. Got a wheelchair for mother and header toward the gate.

Flight was uneventful as we slept with the scent of plumeria on our mind.

Kauai here I come!

Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Oops, think I have my islands mixed up. We headed towards Lanai and another island as began our whale watching adventure with Pacific Whale Foundation.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:48 AM

fungirl: I'm not a frequent flyer, so maybe you can clear something up for me?
You have made two posts stating that you check-in, realized that the flight was not full, and got to change your seats.

So you 'realize' this by asking? Do they show you a diagram of taken seats?

DH is big and I tried to reserve seats with extra leg room (in Jan. for our July trip), unsuccessfully. I had gone to the airlines'website and they ALL showed those type seats as being 'taken' I think that's strange, but had to except whatever they would give ( made the reservations by phone).

So if you can give me any finesse moves, please do so!

Your TR is well composed and easy to read/enjoy! Belle
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

SouthernBelle,

Many airlines use kiosks now. When you use them, you can select the change seats option which allows you to see open seats. Because I was the most familar with how to do this, I would check and then talked with an agent to change for all three of us.

Often, seats are not visible online for by travel agents and can only be changed at the gate. It is also not to early to call the airline and try to get the change as well.

I've done that in the past also.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it helped you. Had received feedback from someone else that it was hard to follow. To each his own

Have fun on your trip.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM

Belle--The airlines usually hold the exit rows and bulkheads for their top level frequent fliers--gold, platinum etc. and that is why they don't show up on the website or for the travel agent. They also often hold the middle three seats on the 767 for those traveling with children. Arriving early for a flight will often get you any seats which are not taken by those top level frequent fliers.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM

Thanks for both replies! Belle