MAUI T.R. 4/05 - Part 3 of 4

Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

MAUI T.R. 4/05 - Part 3 of 4

DAY 3:

Woke at 7:00 a.m. Showered and headed to the Mandara Spa via the beach path to the Marriott. Wonderful stretch of beach beginning at the Renaissance. Walked through their lobby to the spa and enjoyed a facial. 50-minute facial, $98. It was wonderful. Returned to hotel to check-out and head to Kaanapali. Hated to leave Wailea.

Took the scenic route through the wonderful surrounding neighborhoods and ultimately to Kihie DR. Enjoyed a reasonable lunch at Subway. Once again unable to use the ENT coupon. Only good on Oahu. Another beautiful day and drive. Took about 30-40 minutes to arrive at the Maui Hyatt. Rec'd lei greetings and proceeded to check-in. Only two clerks, so it was not very quick. But hey, you're in Hawaii...who is in a hurry anyway.

Room was mountain view of the atrium tower. Hotel has a completely different look and feel that the Wailea hotels. Lots and lots of people and kids. Saw maybe 4 children at the Renaissance. Also realize that kids are still in school as well. However, there was considerably more children at the Hyatt.

The room was OK. Small closet, one queen and one full bed. The renaissance had two queens. Lanai was also small. Didn't matter. We only slept at the hotel. Had to request extra towels from housekeeping everyday. Note, Penny at concierge is great! She handled many things for me before I arrived in Maui.

We had two hours until our dinner reservation at Plantation House. So we stopped by Whalers Village to see what it was all about. Purchased a few items and then headed to Kapalua. Had 6:00 dinner reservations at Plantation House. We arrived 20 minutes early. They would not seat us until it was 6:00. Our meal:
-crab cake appetizer (it was OK)
-spinach salad w/blue cheese, apples, pecans
-seared shrimp salad
-bean/prtuguese saus soup
-uku oscar
-uku maui style
-opakapaka oscar
-brownie sundae
-upside down pineapple cake
-apple/mago crisp (to die for)
-coffee

total - $158.64 before tip

Food was great. Sunset was also nice. Returned to hotel. Mother left her glasses and had to return to PH to pick them up. While I was there, grabbed a gift certificate for a friend's honeymoon.

DAY 4: Road to Hana

Another beautiful day. Picked up at 6:50 by Valley Isle tours for Road to Hana. Cost of approx $117 per person. Decided not to drive so that I could enjoy the view. Learned my lesson drving circle island on Oahu. Some points of interest:
-peninsula (forget name). purchased banana bread. could have left it.
-many waterfalls. all flowing beautifully.
-BLK Sand beach, 7 pools, wailua falls
-drove unpaved road around back of island (note: potholes are the size of childrens pools)
-Tedeseri Winery (purchased nothing, did not care for wine)

Valley Isle Tour guide Tim was awesome. It was a great day. Glad I did the road to Hana. And glad I let someone else drive. Will omit in the future. My mother is 75, neice has a bum knee, and I don't like hiking. So we were definitely just sight-seeing.

After a 10-hour day, returned to hotel and drove to Kobe in Lahaina for dinner. Used ET coupon, BOGO. It was worth $20 off total bill. returned to hotel and called it a night.

Forgot to mention, Hyatt has a mini-mall inside it. It has several shops, including a small Macys.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:33 AM

fungirl: what is uku? A type of fish? I did a google, and nothing came up. Thanks, am enjoying your report and think I'm hot on your heels of writing it! Belle
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

I could be spelling it wrong, but I'm sure that's what we ate (as sure as sure can be...LOL)

Can anyone that lives in Hawaii help out? Is there a such thing as uku? or something that sounds like it?

I have in my notes the decription of the fish we had that night. One was similar to mahi mahi, the other was decribed as a gray snapper.

Thoughts?
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

ahhhhh, could it be that the fish I had was uhu, not uku?

I think that may be what our server said.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM

Uku is a deep-sea gray snapper. Or, perhaps it was a ulua, a member of the jack family.

Either way, ono.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:39 PM

I am pretty sure you did not have UKU for dinner.

Ukus are what we call head lice in Hawaii!! Every mom of an elementary schooler dreads the uku alert!
Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

It was "u-something" and was very good
Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:52 PM

fungirl: So it was a fish...that's good enough for me! I just wasn't sure it wasn't some sort of veggie! Belle.
Apr 24th, 2005, 01:48 AM

With apologies to ICUY: "Uku" is described in a food glossary and a book, The New Cuisine of Hawaii (Henderson) to which I referred before posting, as a "[deep-sea] gray snapper of clear, pale-pink flesh, delicately flavored and moist."
Suggest you start dining in other places.