Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-suggestions-538629/)

glamsurf Jun 22nd, 2005 06:59 AM

Maui suggestions

Good morning,
I've spent way too much time on the computer trying to wrestle reservations and read reviews. We have a reservation at the Ritz for 7 nights but we are re-thinking, is this the best for us? Don't want to spend a huge amount of cash on a room but would like to be clean/comfortable. A pool would be a plus with a 13 yr old. A condo or home is also a consideration. Considering the Renisannce. We're looking to go from June 27-July 4. Anyone who's been or can give us a good recommendation on places to stay, I'd appreciate it. We'd like to be close to the beach as well. TIA!

crazy4Hawaii Jun 22nd, 2005 10:05 AM

My twelve year says she CANNOT go to Maui without staying at the Grand Wailea. The pool is unparalleled and the beach is nice as well. Lovely grounds...

It shouldn't be any more/much more expensive than the Ritz.

BigJim Jun 22nd, 2005 11:10 AM

You don't want to spend a lot for a room, yet you have reservations at the Ritz??? If you really don't want to spend that much for a room, stay out of Wailea and Kaanapali. Look for something in Kihei.

PlumeriaTattoo Jun 22nd, 2005 11:24 AM

The Maui Coast in Kihei isn't bad. Cute little pool area with live music most evenings. Clean, comfy rooms. Nothing luxurious, but by no means a dump. The beach is across the street.

ggrtist Jun 23rd, 2005 09:15 PM

I'm assuming that is for this year? When we were looking for our last minute reservations, the AAA website had the Ritz for $203 a night. We're on a budget so we booked a condo in Kihei for the entire stay but are spending 1 splurge night at the Hyatt (via priceline). Most affordable stuff is pretty booked but you can try VRBO.com for condos in all areas of Maui.

Ruth1234 Jun 23rd, 2005 10:48 PM

Grand Wailea is the best. Not only will you, but your child will love it. Worth every penny. The Wailea is much nicer than Kihe and therefore more expensive. Justifiably so. See my post in response to the Makena/Wailea condo question. If you can afford Grand Wailea, do it. You'll also be able to explore the 2 other beautiful hotels & their grounds right next door. I think Kihe is only good for cheap food. A world apart from Wailea, even though they're only 3 minutes apart.

BigJim Jun 23rd, 2005 11:39 PM

Yes, Kihei has cheap food, but it's some of the BEST, if not THE best, on the island!! If you want to stay at a fancy schmancy resort and be surrounded by tourists, then stay in Wailea. The same for Kaanapali, but the hotels are a tad bit less fancy. If you want to hang with the locals and experience some of the true essences of island life, then stay in Kihei.

ggrtist Jun 24th, 2005 07:18 AM

BigJim, we're staying at a condo in Kihei, would you mind posting a few of the best places to get grub there?

Thanks!

seattlesue Jun 24th, 2005 11:18 AM

Good food to be had at Stella Blues, Alexander's, Bada Bing, and for a splurge the 5 Palms (try to take advantage of the sunset special).

lindsayjoy77 Jun 24th, 2005 07:17 PM

I got back May 31 from Maui and we stayed at Menehunu Shores in Kihei and we loved. There was a pool, although it closed at 8:30pm. It is on the beach, but close to everything. It is privately owned condos. We had a one bed room with a pull out in the living room. There was also a full kitchen with a washer and dryer. All in all it cost around $70 a night. My 2 year old had a blast as well. You will not spend as much time in the room as you think.