Maui Sheraton trip report

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Maui Sheraton trip report

Someone asked me a couple of weeks ago to report on our trip to the Maui Sheraton (Kaanapali Beach). Just got back and it was, in a word, fabulous. The hotel was wonderful; staff was extremely courteous, grounds, pool and rooms were immaculate, food was good. Several brides/grooms and honeymooners were there at the time and the ones I spoke to were very happy with the hotel as well. Compared to our previous two trips to the Westin Maui, the Sheraton was by far better. As for our trip overall, the whales were very active last week, but the dolphins weren't to be found anywhere near shore at that time (bummer). The weather was perfect - Maui has had more winter rain than usual so everything was very green and lush, even in the dry areas. All in all, a most restorative trip and I highly recommend the Sheraton, and Maui in general, to everyone.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:34 PM

Hi Iowagirl! Thanks for your report. Hubby and I will be spending March 21-28th at the Sheraton - our 2nd time there. We enjoyed first time there in 2001, but have heard some negative things since we were there. I'm glad to hear some great comments from a recent visitor. What room category did you stay in? Did Sheraton give you a complimentary upgrade upon check-in? Can you tell me if all the restaurants are up and running regularly at the hotel. We went in November 2001, pretty much right after Sept. 11th and the restaurants weren't open on a regular basis. Any other tips/tricks you'd recommend for us? Thanks much - I look forward to your comments.
Tracey
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:17 PM

I'm not Iowagirl but we just did return from Sheraton Maui and I have this suggestion, posted in a separate trip report on the Sheraton: if you're really into pools, take advantage of the little known reciprocity they have with sister hotel the Westin. We didn't learn this until the last day and it would have been a great help because we had two kids and the pool is much better and, more importantly, heated. The Sheraton pool was freezing.
This was our second trip to the Sheraton, but the first in the 'winter' so we weren't used to the cold pool water. Very few people were ever in the pool, and the weather was perfect - 80 every day and sunny.
Just my two cents!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Hi Kendall - thanks for the tip - that's great. Is there any special process to go through to use the Westin Pool (e.g. need Sheraton ID, some sort of bracelet, anything from the Sheraton). Did the Westin pool area seem crowded to you when you were there? Oh, were you able to see Whales from shore? Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated!
Tracey
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

TFinn: Yes, we did get an upgrade. I had registered for a king bed in one of the "gardenview" (read "parking lot") rooms and all they had when we checked in was a room w/ 2 double beds, so they sent us up to an ocean-view room. It was wonderful!! We were on the 6th floor overlooking the beach and pool areas. Like Kendall, I also learned near the last day that the Westin is their sister hotel and we could have used that pool - they don't advertise that. We have stayed at the Westin twice before and love their pool. Kendall is right - the Sheraton pool WAS freezing cold last week. Restaurants were all busy and open. We only ate breakfast there, then took advantage of the in-room mini-fridge for lunches, then went out for dinner. We're due for up to a foot of snow tonight, so believe me, I'm wishing I could get on a plane right back there! Have fun on your trip!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:55 PM

This is the way I was told it works: the day or days you want to go, you just go to the pool towel desk (aka activities center and place they're always trying to sell you sunscreen and sunglasses) and tell them you want to go. They'll call ahead and then you'll get a Westin bracelet at their pool when you get there. They don't take walk ins. The pool was crowded when we were there that ONE day, but it wasn't unbearable. And believe me, it is much more exciting. There are a few places to buy lunch or a snack besides just from the poolside waitress, which is a nice option.
As for whales, you could only see the spray of water from the shore when we were there. We did the sunset sail/whale watch from the Sheraton on the teralani. It was fun and we saw quite a few whales, but you still had to strain to see many. They were very quick in and out of water and didn't come out very far.
Have a great time!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:15 PM

Thanks Kendall and Iowagirl for your comments - they're very helpful! We'll probably use the Westin pool now that we have that as an option. I think I'll also look into some whale watching tours, although I'm a bit squeamish because I get seasick very easily (even with taking ginger and bonine or dramanine - ugh!). Thanks again!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:21 PM
dsg56

Hi Iowagirl. Great report. We loved the Sheraton as well (May '01) and have suffered withdrawal ever since. If you want to relive the experience check out this live webcam: http://hawaiilive.sheraton-hawaii.com/sm-cam.cfm
It' about as close to being there as you can get, unfortunately.

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip. We have had great times at both the Sheraton and Westin on Maui. Both appealed f to us for different reasons and I don't think you could really go wrong with either hotel. The whales weren't too active on our last trip, can't wait to catch them when they are more active.