Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui: Road to Hana, Kapalua Golf, Sunset Dinner Cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-road-to-hana-kapalua-golf-sunset-dinner-cruise-86518/)

Michele Sep 15th, 2000 08:21 AM

Maui: Road to Hana, Kapalua Golf, Sunset Dinner Cruise

Hi! We are getting married next month in Maui and we'll be there for 6 nights, then on to Kauai for a week (staying at the Hyatt on both islands). Due to wedding activities, our "play" time on Maui is limited to 3-4 full days and we would like to make the most of this time. When people say the Road to Hana takes a whole day, what does that really mean...8-10 hours? less/more? <BR>We would definitely like to play golf at one of the Kapalua courses, what can we expect regarding prices? Can we play just 9 holes? <BR>Also, can anyone recommend a sunset dinner cruise? We are having 8 guests for the wedding & would love to take them on a dinner cruise for our reception. <BR>Thanks! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

manuel Sep 15th, 2000 08:58 AM

Hi Michele <BR>I'm from portugal and have been to Maui 3 times. <BR>The road to Hana took me from around 9.30am till 9 pm , including a dip at the falls, lunch and from around 5pm we went to the only decent shopping mall on the island at Kahului and dined there as well. <BR>The golf I cannot answer but have you tried the Hyatt web page or else the www.maui.net webpage. <BR>Dinner cruises there are at least 3 good ones departing fom Lahaina. <BR>Enjoy the stay

dan Sep 15th, 2000 11:53 AM

Hi Michele: <BR> <BR>How wonderful to get married in Hawaii. My wife and I spent our honeymoon there 13 (!!!) years ago. Much has changed I'm sure. As Manuel mentioned the Hana road is a long day trip, we spent a night there which you might want to consider, definitely wear your swimsuits to play in all the waterfalls and beaches along the way. We took a dinner cruise one night from Lahaina, as Manuel mentioned there are several to choose from, just make advance reservations. Too many years ago to remember the name of the boat, but it was a smaller motorized sailboat, not a giant tourist cruiser. It was great fun (a real party!)and the view of the islands from the sea was awesome. But the most spectacular thing we did was go to the top of Haleakala to see the sunrise. You have to leave at 3AM to get there by sunrise, but it was absolutely worth it and still one of the most unforgettable sights of our lives. Get up early and see it! <BR> <BR>Dan

miriam Sep 15th, 2000 12:34 PM

My husband and I stayed in Kapalua in June and went golfing one day--cost about $150 each. The road to Hana was a disappointment to us (took about 8 hrs.) because we've seen more breathtaking waterfalls in Colorado and the Georgia mountains. And supposedly there hasn't been much rainfall which could be the reason. We did enjoy the drive up to Haleakalah (sp?). Good luck!

Comet Sep 27th, 2000 11:56 AM

Hi! Just got back last week from almost 2 weeks in Hawaii. 4 night at Hyatt in Kauai and 8 nights Hyatt Maui. Road to Hana is worth the ride. We left at 10am and watched the sunset on the beach near the Hyatt around 6:30. We hit a ton of waterfalls, black sand beaches and the 7pools for a little swimming. It is worth driving down around the south/southwest side of the island even though the maps say the roads are bad they are NOT. Beautiful! Golf in Kapalua is nice but $$, $100-150 for 18 at Plantation courses. Worth it for the views. On Kauai play the Poipu Bay course at the Hyatt, still $100+ but nice. Never did the Sunset cruise. Have fun