Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui Ritz $225 oceanview + breakfast good deal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 08:58 AM
sheila

Some posting have been down on the Ritz as a value option (and have complained about worse weather on that side of the island), but if I can get the above-mentioned deal should we go? Thank you!

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 09:19 AM
ben

Maui's bad weather is certainly not bad! Go for it!! Sounds like a great deal!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Nan

The weather there is beautiful, a little cooler and a little windier, but these are trade winds that smell so fresh that I am sure you won't mind.
If you want a little sun drive down the coast a bit. But I would stay there in a minute. Great beaches nearby.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Brad

Can you tell me where you got that deal from? That sounds like a great offer.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 02:36 PM
PHIL

THE BEST DEAL I'VE FOUND IS $325/NT, 5TH NIGHT FREE, BREAKFAST FOR 2 DAILY. THIS IS A GARDEN VIEW ROOM. WHERE CAN I FIND THE DEAL YOU HAVE?

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 08:50 PM
David

You did'nt mention when you were going or what kind of trip you were looking for (action or peace and quiet).

My wife and I went last year in Sept. stayed at the Ritz. The hotel is nice and very peaceful (very very peacful).
The service is good. However be prepared for some very windy conditions and I mean windy. We were literaly getting blown off the beach.

The hotel was nearly empty, yet when we went into the Lahaina hotel areas most of the hotels appeared to be filled to capacity.

This went on for the entire week. Were these winds higher than normal? The Hotel staff didn't think the winds were a big deal. (you figure it out).

I go to Hawaii every couple of years, when I'm making resevations the Ritz always seems to be on sale.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Wand

I think it goes on sale because it is away from the action in Lahaina. But you can always drive down to Lahaina for restaurants, shopping, bars, etc.
I like the Ritz because it is quiet and the nearby beaches almost deserted.
I don't need constant entertainment of the manufactured kind, so I like Kapalua also.
It is a matter of opinion, but since I am way past my teens, I don't like constant noise.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Vic

It depends on when you're going. The Kapalua area is definitely less sunny and more windy in the winter than Lahania or Wailea.

I definitely prefer Wailea in the winter. However, the only hotel comparable to the Ritz is the Four Seasons. The Four Seasons is about $400 minimum. But you get what you pay for.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Judy

Great deal! Take it! It's very difficult to get an oceanview room at a good hotel on Maui for less than, say, $300. And you have breakfast to boot! Weather is fine in the Ritz area. Anyway, if the weather is a bit off around the Ritz, just drive to another part of the island to find some sun. I always find that the place I am, whether Wailea or Kaanapali, is the place where the clouds are.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:35 AM
amy

My husband and I found this same deal and are doing it. We arrive this Friday the 19th. We were on Maui 3 years ago and stayed at the Hyatt on Kaanapali Beach ... which was nice. However, when we came across this deal, we jumped at the chance. We had driven up to Kapalua on our last trip and thought the area and the Ritz were beautiful! It is definitely more peaceful up there ... but an easy 15 minute drive back to the "action" of Kaanapali and Lahaina. I am 27 and my husband is 34 ... so we still want some action and nightlife ... but thought this would be the best way to enjoy the best of both worlds ... the quiet beauty of Kapalua, AND the restaurants and shops of Lahaina and Kaanapali. I think that most people immediately look to Kaanapali or Waliea for hotels ... so those fill up first. I think the Ritz is a hidden gem that perhaps isn't getting a lot of business right now.

The Ritz Kapalua was rated #1 in Hawaii for service and #2 in the world for service by the readers of Travel & Leisure magazine. It was also rated as the 6th best hotel overall in the world.

I say you can't go wrong.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Kevin

Gee, some polls don't even rate the Ritz as the 6th best hotel in Hawaii. Guess that tells you how much polls are worth.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:42 AM
amy

So bitter, Kevin. What's wrong?

I thought this forum was for sharing information. That's all I was doing by talking about the Travel & Leisure polls.

Sorry if I "offended" you.

Maybe you need a trip to Hawaii.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 12:47 PM
where

No one has said where you found this deal? Can someone, sHeila, or amy tell the rest of us where and when this deal is available???

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:18 PM
extra

I was surprised myself over the polls showing that Ritz so high up. From both personal experience and what I have read here and other places,the Ritz in Maui is not as well liked as some of the other hotels in Maui. I would probably rate it 4 or 5 best on that island. That said, I agree with Amy and you really can't go wrong at that price for oceanview and breakfast. One more thing: keep in mind that the ocean is fairly far from this hotel (relative to many other hotels in Maui) and the view will be just that, a view.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:41 PM
amy

My travel agent found the deal for me ... although I also saw a similar deal on Expedia, but it wasn't a guaranteed ocean view, and no breakfast.

Basically, the deal is at $305 a night with the 5th night free. So you'll need to stay at least 5 nights.

The hotel is set back from the water a bit ... although not that far. You end up walking across some lush, landscaped land to go down to the ocean. Not a bad little walk IMHO.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 08:14 AM
sheila

Hello. Just got back from Maui. Instead of staying at the Ritz we opted to stay at the four seasons for $325 full ocean view plus car plus breakfast. We loved it. Both of these deals I got by talking with the reservation manager and haggling a bit.