Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui...Revealed, horsebackriding, hiking and Warren and Annabelle's (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-revealed-horsebackriding-hiking-and-warren-and-annabelles-808434/)

Iregeo Sep 30th, 2009 06:19 PM

Maui...Revealed, horsebackriding, hiking and Warren and Annabelle's

Hi all!

DH and I are off to Maui (my 5th time, he even more) in November to celebrate our 22nd anniversary and my '27th' birthday! We're staying at Polo Beach, and have done and seen many (not all) of the main tourist sights all over the island. I have my heart set on a few things new to us, but would appreciate your input first.

1. I have the 2nd Edition of the guidebook Maui Revealed. Should I spend the money to purchase the newest edition, or is this one accurate enough?

2. In all my trips, I've NEVER been to Haleakela. Despite the amazing payoff, I've never been willing to rise in the middle of the night while on vacation. Still, there is a horseback ride down into the crater, which begins at a reasonable hour, offered by Pony Express Tours. It's expensive, but sounds fabulous. Have you done it? Do you recommend it?

3. Next to travel in general, hiking is my passion. I'm considering hiking the Pipiwai trail in Hana, which I've done before, but I wonder if you can recommend other great day hikes I might choose from. Looking for a good workout, with amazing scenery and vistas.

4. We are foodies, and not too worried about choosing restaurants. But, what has been your experience with the comedy/magic show Warren and Annabelle's? I love this kind of thing; DH, less so.

Anything else you wish to add will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Iregeo Sep 30th, 2009 06:20 PM

Oops. Sorry for the duplicate post. Neglected to tag it 'Hawaii' the first time around.

DebitNM Sep 30th, 2009 06:31 PM

I can only chime in about Warren and Annabelles. We really had a great time. The food was not foodie quality, but it was tasty. The first part of the program is a bit hookie, but let me tell you, Warren is amazing. The theatre is small,you sit very close to him. The things he does are really quite spellbinding. My husband, who normally wouldn't go for this kind of thing, was impressed. I would make sure Warren will be doing the show himself; he does take time off and has a fill in. They will tell you this when you get tickets. We ordered online and got the Royal Flush package. We thought we would need food after the show, but we were fine with what the package included.

Deb

DebitNM Sep 30th, 2009 06:36 PM

I just looked at the website; it seems that there are many "guest" magicians appearing at the show. I would call and make sure Warren is performing on the date of your choice.

Deb

Iregeo Sep 30th, 2009 07:10 PM

Many thanks for your input.

ksucat Sep 30th, 2009 08:15 PM

IMHO, I would avoid both like the plague..

Warren and Annabelle's is approximately $100 per person for the Royal Flush package..what a waste..sorry, but I've never figured out why someone would pay big $$ in the islands for a show that serves bad food, half ass drinks and ok magic..
no offense to anyone that likes it but your sitting around $200-300+ for two people..for a really bad production!

If your real foodies..this is what I would do..

Take your money and have breakfast at Plantation house at Kapalua for around $35 for awesome ahi benedicts and a bloody..
Mama's Fish house for lunch..pricey but excellent $125+ for two
and then either a fun Hula Grill that won't win any awards but decent and a fun good time right on the water in Ka'anapalil for $125 with app's and drinks at sunset..Kimos's in Lahaina too.

After just getting back from Kauai and been to Maui about 10+ times, I will probably never go back because once you go Maui..you always want to be in Kauai..
It's that unbelievable!

Aloha and Mahalo

pspercy Sep 30th, 2009 09:12 PM

We enjoyed just driving up Haleakala one morning when the trades dropped & the heat soared! It was 53F at the top. Fun drive, at one stage you're driving above the clouds. The crater is huge. Then you can wind your way down for an Upcountry lunch !
We've been to Maui many times & never felt tempted by Warren & Annabelles (or Mama's, too $$$ for us); one I would recommend if you've not seen it is the Ulalena show, it's excellent. http://www.ulalena.com/

Have a great trip:)

Iregeo Sep 30th, 2009 09:37 PM

Thanks. Keep it coming. All opinions welcom!

sylvia3 Oct 1st, 2009 05:30 PM

There is absolutely no need to arise before daylight for Haleakala. The (relaxed, cause it's light) daytime ride is gorgeous; if you really want a show, stay until sunset, and park in one of the lots on the mountain up near the top facing west, and wait for the stars. INcredible!

BlueSwimmer Oct 1st, 2009 05:38 PM

Search the forums for Magical Maui Hikes for a mini-report I wrote about two hikes we did. One was Pipiwai, which you already know, and the other was the Waihee Ridge trail in West Maui which was an amazing workout and just gorgeous. Have a great trip!

ms_go Oct 1st, 2009 05:49 PM

If you like to hike...the walk part way down the Sliding Sands trail into the Haleakala crater was is one of my most memorable hiking experiences--ever. Amazing vistas, surreal landscape, complete silence...and the hike back out will definitely give you a workout. Be prepared for changing conditions, though; it was sunny when we went in, and we were being pelted with sleet when we came back out.

I took my mother to Warren & Annabelle's a few years ago. I'd probably give it a pass in favor of something outside (I can see inside shows anytime at home; great Maui sunsets, not so much).

Iregeo Oct 1st, 2009 07:28 PM

Ms_go, I'd love to hike part way in and out of the crater, but I think it the return would be too strenous for my DH. Since the terrain is so appealing to me, I thought we'd try that on horseback.

Sylvia3 and BlueSwimmer, thank you both for your input.