3-Week Honeymoon Itinerary Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! I wanted to ask some seasoned travelers about some input regarding a proposed honeymoon itinerary. My husband and I are going on a (VERY much needed) 3-week honeymoon in July. We are planning on going to San Francisco, Hawaii (Oahu and Maui), and San Diego/ Southern California. I just wasn't sure if what I'm proposing would work well, give us enough in each place without feeling overly rushed etc. Some logistics to note before I present the itinerary:

1. We want to stop in San Diego last because it puts us there when there is a Mets game there (yes despite their past few seasons, we are fans through thick and thin lol)
2. There is an absolute minimum of a week in Maui because my aunt gave us their timeshare there as a wedding gift.
3. We will rent cars in San Francisco/Napa, Maui, and So Cal- just not Oahu.
4. I also included things we would want to maybe see or do (most of it isn't set in stone- we like to see key things but also like to see where the day takes us sometimes).

Ok here it goes:

July 3-8- San Francisco and Napa Valley (not sure if we should spend 2 days in Napa and 3 days in San Fran or if we should just make Napa Valley a chauffeured day trip); We will also be arriving in San Francisco at 11am on the 3rd (so we have a full afternoon and evening to do things)

Things we want to do:
Alcatraz
Fisherman wharf, Pier 39
Baseball Stadium Tour
Science museum
Trolley Ride (even if it’s just for ten minutes up a hill)
Bike ride over the golden gate bridge; maybe do a picnic lunch either at Lands End or Golden Gate national park
Sunrise/sunset at twin peaks
See a performance at SF Jazz (night time)
3 or 4 wineries (in one day)
A day spent checking out the main towns and villages around Napa like Napa, Yountsville, Callistoga

July 8-10 Oahu (leave San Francisco at 9:30 am; arrive in Honolulu at 11am)

Things we want to do:
First Day (the 8th)- just go to a cool restaurant by Waikiki, people watch/hang on the beach and get ourselves adjusted to time difference
Second Day (the 9th) Pearl Harbor Memorial/ USS Arizona in the morning; Waikiki beach in the afternoon; then go out for some good nightlife

July 10- 19 Maui (will Island hop to Maui probably late morning/early afternoon)

July 10-12; stay in Wailea either at Andaz or Fairmont Kei Lani (we just want to splurge a little- go to a spa, lounge at the pool, have a private dinner on our lanai kind of thing)

July 12-19-timeshare at Kaanapali Beach Club
Things we want to do in Maui:
Old Lahaina Luau
Road to Hana
Sunrise at Haleakala
Snorkel a couple of times
Iao Valley State Park and/or Haleakala State Park
A day or afternoon (or 2) in Lahaina
Helicopter ride
Red Sand Beach
Slack Key Concert
More beach and ocean and pool and sun

July 19th-25th San Diego/ Southern Cal (having some trouble on figuring out where to stay- found a place in La Jolla that I really liked, but wasn’t sure if it would be too out of the way for everything else we want to do)

July 19th- depart Maui to San Diego- day is basically shot due to travel and time change (may check out of Maui on the night of the 18th so that we can actually have the 19th to be in San Diego; am leaving San Diego to JFK in Late afternoon/evening of 25th)

Things we want to do in San Diego (19/20-25th)
Baseball stadium tour and Baseball game
San diego zoo
Gaslamp district
Coronado
La Jolla Cove, main stretch in La Jolla for shopping
Pacific Beach and/or Mission Beach Boardwalk
Kayaking (they have tours that actually bring you in the caves, etc)
Birch Aquarium (maybe)
Midway/embarcardero (maybe)

*Whew!* Okay that’s it. Anything that I either should skip or maybe include instead? Are we spending the appropriate time in each place? As I said, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 08:17 PM

We have vacationed many times in the places you have mentioned. I think your itinerary is excellent. Sounds like an awesome honeymoon adventure.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 08:17 PM

We have vacationed many times in the places you have mentioned. I think your itinerary is excellent. Sounds like an awesome honeymoon adventure.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 02:11 AM

Luv La Jolla and had an office in the village for years. It's really not that far from most of the other things - 20 minutes or less by car - unless you try to leave during the "commute" times - early morning or late afternoon.,

You can also drive down surface streets/La Jolla Blvd/Mission Blvd - to Mission Beach/Sea World and from there over to the Zoo, airport, downtown, etc.

If you have the energy - suggest instead of spending the first two days in Maui (you have a week thereafter in Maui righto?) - zip over to the Garden Isle - it only a 20 minute flight to Kauai.

There - you can "splurge" up at the Saint Regis in Princeville - for the best view you can find in Paradise.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 02:16 AM

see: www.stregisprinceville.com. Now - be advised that I am one who energizes by doing more things - plus since you will have a week to kick back in one place on Maui - if you want to see the most beautiful/lush island in Hawaii - and the most beautiful part of that island - get thee up to the North Shore of Kauai.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 11:05 AM

When figuring how much time you have in each place, count nights, not days. With travel, 5 nights in a place usually only means 4 days. It seems like you may be counting some days twice. You have some fun sites and activities listed, just realize that you probably won't get to all of them, which is completely OK. Consider visiting Haleakala at sunset if you don't feel like waking up ungodly early. A chauffeured day trip to wine country from SF will probably be more relaxing than driving yourself, changing hotels and getting back to SF to fly. Happy travels!
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 11:23 AM

Agree with msteacher.....lots of activity and you might not get to them all. It sounds rather ambitious. Once you get to Hawaii, you might just want to hand loose. I guess because I am blessed to live on west coast and can get to Hawaii fairly quickly, I go to relax with bike riding, walking, a few hikes in a 10 period but everyone is different. Staying a few days in a luxury hotel for the pampering while in Hawaii is a great idea especially since you have a free condo! Have done that and love it. Chauffeured trip to wine country ABSOLUTELY as then you will not have to think about how much of those pourings you have consumed. There are some good hiking and biking trails also in the wine country. Just a hint.... I think you are referring to the CABLE CARS in SF not the Trolley cars as they are different. One-way fare is $6.00 on the Cable Cars so it is an expensive ride up the hill but very fun to do. Trolley cars run up and down Market Street and on to the wharf along the Embarcadero. they are pretty cool cars from era long ago and from all over the world. You can purchase a "SF Pass" if you plan on taking both the cable car and the trolley or muni buses over a 3-day period. Saves you money.