Good budget accommodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, My 2 daughters want to stop in Anaheim and San Francsico on their way to England. Any suggestions for really decent and clean budget accommodation? Thanks, Bagface
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Please give us a specific $ amount, rather than "budget". That term might mean something different to me than it does to you.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Oh, and how old are your daughters? Are they traveling alone, without you?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi my daughters are 20 and 25 years of age and are travelling together without me from Australia , where we live.Ideally they are after the cheapest possible accommodation that is still in a pretty good location, safe area etc and must be clean.

Thanks for the prompt replies.
Kind regards
Bagface
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, meant to say also that a dollar amount is hard to specify as they will pay whatever they have to but want to get the cheapest they can without the place being grungy and unsafe, lol.
Thanks

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:00 AM

If they want budget try,

www.hostels.com

something little more expensive?

http://www.motel6.com/

Little more expensive?

Any of the major hotel groups have a very inexpensive chain, i.e. Hilton - Hampton Inn, etc.

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:17 AM

Dear Bagface,

Our big hotel chains offer clean rooms at low cost compared to the UK. Investigate Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Motel 6, and any of the brands at this site: http://www.choicehotels.com/

HTTY
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM

If they are going to Disneyland in Anahim... I just paod $88 USD per night for the Best western Park Place Suites which are directly across the street from the main gate... a 5 minute walk to the park. It was clean, convenient and I would definately stay there again!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:24 AM

bagface, I just topped my report where I gave a few details about the Park Place Suites... hope they have a wonderful visit!
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM

We stayed at the Travelodge on Lombard at the corner of Steiner. I believe this area is between Cow Hollow & Marina. Very nice & safe. Doesn't look like much from the outside but the rooms are all newly renovated. $125.00/night last August/September.

In addition to choicehotels.com mentioned above, another chain is wyndhamrewards.com (of which Travelodge is a member) which has budget & moderate options.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Will check them out and see how we go.

A friend suggested the Alpine Inn, Anaheim - anyone know it? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:11 AM

If you are planning to visit Disneyland, Alpine Inn works. Its on par with the many other motel/hotel/resorts within walking distance. If you are not planning to visit Disneyland, the business Inns(like Fairfield, Hampton etc...) have some nicer properties for about the same price but they are several miles away.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Are they going to rent a car or will they need to rely on public transportation?

How are they going to get from Anaheim to San Francisco?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 01:50 PM

The Mosser in San Francisco is perfect for them!

It is in a convenient location, near Union Square, near BART and is a safe, "hostel-like" hotel.

They have rooms with hall bathrooms and twin beds for a reasonable rate. We stayed there last year and I checked out the hall baths [we had a room with private bath]. It was very clean and well kept.

I believe the rooms have sink; the commode [w.c.]and shower are in hall bath.

themosser.com

Deb
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes - they are going to Disneyland and they are looking for the cheapest safe way to get from Anaheim to San Francisco. They will not be hiring a car so will need to use public transport.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 04:58 AM

I just looked at the Amtrak (train) site. Obviously, price may differ depending on dates etc, but it is showing prices from US$57 for a trip from Anaheim to San Francisco. The downside is it is 9+ hours on the train with a number of train changes - ick! That's too long on the train, IMO.

I've seen some flights from LA to SF from US$60 or AU$92 (inc taxes). Flights take 1.25 hours + usual airport arrival and departure times. They would need to add the cost and time of getting to LAX from Anaheim. I believe it is doable by public transport, but not very efficient, especially if lugging around heavy suitcases. There are plenty of bus and van shuttles between Anaheim and LAX, which for a little bit extra may be far more efficient than public transport.

I also found a bus fare (City-2-City buses) which was US$55 and 7.5 hours from LA. Add in cost and time to get from Anaheim and it's not worth it.

Try the Best Flights website for airfares. A friend and I used this last year for all our flights to/from the US and within the US. They are an on-line company based in Perth.

www.bestflights.com.au
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:04 AM

The closest airport to Disneyland/Anaheim is Orange County (John Wayne Airport), airport code SNA.

They could probably fly cheapest on Southwest to San Francisco or Oakland. www.iflyswa.com
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, particularly Speckles for all the fares etc.

Will check out Best Flights and see what they can offer.

Thanks

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM

Bagface: the cheapest and best places to stay in San Francisco are the Hostelling International hostels. Clean too.

http://www.sfhostels.com/

Rates start at $23 for a bed in a dorm room.

The one on Mason St, although it's in the Tenderloin, is just a block off Union Square.

The Fisherman Wharf hostel is actually in Fort Mason and in a lovely location, but a bit removed from the center of the city.

Not all hostels are made alike. hostels.com lists many hostels that I would not personally recommend, so be careful which hostel you pick from their list.

As for Anaheim, there are no HI hostels near Anaheim. There are plenty of inexpensive hotels around Disneyland.

Or, if you know how to use Priceline, there are 3.5* hotels in Anaheim going for $50 plus tax and fees (less than $65 total).