Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui restaurant reviews August 2006 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-restaurant-reviews-august-2006-a-643494/)

ga9497 Aug 31st, 2006 07:56 PM

Maui restaurant reviews August 2006

We spent 9 nights in the Wailea area of Maui at the Grand Wailea (see separate review of hotel)

This is our restaurant reviews
We have friends who live in Wailea and most nights we dined with them

Joe's at the Wailea Tennis Club - Food was good, service was great. Our friends dine here at least once a week and know everyone at the restaurant. We were 5 adults, two children. The adults had a couple of adult beverages each, except for me, I had ice tea, the kids had a smoothie each. We ordered 4 appetizers and shared. The kids ordered off the kids menu and we had 3 of the Mahi Mahi dish and two steaks. Total for everyone was $340 before gratuities

Kincha's at the Grand Wailea
Great food in a lovely setting. Definitely resort prices here but we really wanted to try it. 2 adults, 2 children
1 beer, 2 soda's, some sushi appetizers, one sushi dinner, two bento dinners which came with a couple of pieces of sushi, a salad, miso soup, shrimp and tempura vegetables, and the main entree which was one was the beef medallions and the other the catch of the day, I forgot what it was but it was wonderful. Total with tax $230 we definitely didn't need the sushi appetizers that we ordered separately but the fish was all wonderful and so good

Stella Blues for brunch - this time we were 8 people. 6 adults, and two children. Some people had breakfast and some had lunch.
Ordered between us all was 3 omelettes, 3 ice teas, coffe, side order of portuguese sausage, one teriyaki chicken plate, kids chocolate chip pancakes, adult macadamia nut pancakes, grilled Mahi sandwich, Turkey sandwich - total with tax $112. The portions here were huge even the kids portions so if you aren't a big eater definitely share.

Kimo's in Lahaina - very good food with decent prices - 2 adults, 2 children
2 soda's (children's meals came with soda), 3 chowders, one child's rib order, 2 Polynesian Chicken dinners, 1 Lobster filled fresh fish (Mahi), 1 hula pie - Total with tax $105.26

Spago at the Four Seasons 4 adults - I don't know the total of this one because our friends treated us to dinner for our anniversary. The general manager is a friend of theirs and really took good care of us so I know they bill wasn't full price. We each had a drink, 3 appetizers to share plus one appetizer that was brought out for us to try. This was the ahi rolls, which were out of this world. The others were a beet salad, a goat cheese salad, and another ahi appetizer, which we all shared. 3 of us had the whole fish of the day which was filet at our table, the other had lamb chops. We also had two desserts. If you don't like the fish to come out with the head still on it this isn't the dish for you but what a shame it would be as it was delicious. All in all an absolutely great meal. We wanted to go back one other time but we waited until too late to call for a reservation and all they had was 9pm which was too late for the kids after a full day in the sun. We have eaten at a few of Wolfgang Puck's restaurants in different locations and we have never had a bad meal at any one of them

Cafe Olei - twice - 2 adults, 2 children
1st time great service with great food.
2nd time not good service at all but food was still good
1st time we ordered a sushi appetizer, 1 sushi dinner, 1 cheeseburger, 1 Garlic Chicken pasta, 2 beers, 3 soda's, 3 desserts
Total with tax $127.70

2nd time we odered one pasta dish as an appetizer to share, one pizza, one cesar salad with grilled chicken, two ahi dinners
4 ice tea's - total $95.52 with tax
The ahi dinners were supposed to be crispy but they weren't, still good though, the pizza was a disappointment because they have a wood burning oven but the kids pizza is of the frozen variety. You would think they would make it there as they make flatbreads for the appetizer menu

Tommy Bahama - 4 adults - good service and great food - 3 appetizers to share, 2 drinks, 2 ice teas, 2 steak dinners, 1 mahi dinner, 1 chicken dinner, 2 desserts. Total $242 with tax

Tommy Bahama again - 2 adults, 2 children
2 beers, 2 ice tea's, one shirley temple, two soups, 1 order of ribs, 1 appetizer as a dinner, 1 pasta dish, one catch of the day, one salad
Total $173 with tax

One breakfast at Denny's
2 kids breakfast, one breakfast sandwich, one coffee, one french toast - sorry can't find the receipt on this one for the price

We ate a few lunches by the pool at the Grand Wailea.

Lunch at Cheeseburger Island style at the shops at Wailea
2 cheeseburgers, two loco moco's, one order of fries, 2 smoothies, two soda's. Total $52.14 with tax

One lunch at Bistro Molikini at the Grand which was over expensive for what we had but the food was good. 2 smoothies, one ice tea, one soda, onion rings, BBQ pork sandwich, Cesasar salad with grilled chicken, Kids penne Pasta, kids grilled cheese - $91 with tax

We had the brunch on Sunday before leaving the resort for our flight home. $140 with tax

One night we cooked dinner for our friends at their house.

Hope the reviews were helpful

Suzie Aug 31st, 2006 09:52 PM

Oh we ate at Cafe O Lei too. We had a fantastic meal there. The service was really good and there was live music.

offlady Aug 31st, 2006 10:35 PM

I can guarantee that your friend's bill at Spagos was still very pricey, even with the discount. Probably a lot more than you think.

ga9497 Sep 1st, 2006 04:26 PM

offlady, I do realize that but I know that they received 50% off. It was definitely worth it even at full price

here_today_gone2Maui Sep 2nd, 2006 08:17 PM

Are you Jerry and Laura's friends?!!!

ga9497 Sep 3rd, 2006 08:13 AM

here_today_gone2Maui

Yes we are :)