Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-questions-399285/)

loverly7 Feb 15th, 2004 12:15 AM

Maui Questions

Hi everyone! My husband and I are hoping to be able to go to Maui for one week in October. I have found the information from everyone to be very helpful in planning this trip (along with Maui Revelealed). I do have several questions I was hoping someone could help me out with...

1) Molokini? I have read repeatedly that Maui Revealed is always right, and is a great guide to follow. MR writes about Molokini as being great. But when I read about fellow vacationers and their trips to Molokini, it seems as though there are a lot of negative comments about it. I'm just curious if someone could explain the discrepency for me. I would also love to know people's honest opinions on whether snorkeling at Molokini is worth it.

2) Haleakala? We have decided that we will not be doing sunrise at Haleakala. We will be heading up there in the morning and staying for part of the afternoon one day. My question is how cold is it in the morning and afternoon? I read about people freezing at sunrise, but I haven't read much about the other times up there. Would shorts work, or would jeans be more comfortable?

3) Old Lahaina Luau? I know, I know, it's a cheesy tourist thing to do a luau. But we will be tourists, and I have to see one just once. I read that the Old Lahaina Luau is the best one. How is parking for this luau? Do they have plenty of parking, or will be parking be a giant headache?

4) My last question has to do with our lodging options. We decided to stay at a bed and breakfast to cut down on costs. I did some major research and narrowed our choices down to three possible places. Anyone who has any experience with any of these places, please tell all, good and bad. The b&b we are considering:
House of Fountains B&B
The Guest House B&B
Blue Horizons B&B.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

hmmm Feb 15th, 2004 01:28 AM

We did Molokini once. The snorkeling was decent, but not a life-changing experience. Had the same question about the opinion expressed in Maui Revealed. Guess their review is based on multiple visits. We far prefered a snorkel/whale watch to Lana'i last Thanksgiving conducted by Pacific Whale Foundation. Clearer, calmer water, more fish (though they had seen people before), far, far fewer people. Truly, the best snorkeling (variety of sea life) we've done in/around Maui is from shores when the waters are calm-Ulua, Keawakapu, Poolenalena, Black Rock....
You might find reliable answers about temperatures on Haleakala at the web site of the National Park Service, though I suspect it's always cooler given its considerable elevation. It is very cold near sunrise.
Parking is not a problem at Old Lahaina Luau. It's past the main drag (Front Street) in Lahaina and across the street from a large shopping center. The evening is well worth the [not inconsequential] expense. The entertainment is first-rate.

alohacheryl Feb 15th, 2004 02:42 AM

Put on jeans for a morning at Haleakalua. You can change in to shorts but I'd say it is at least 40 degrees in the early AM. I would recommend biking down if you are in to activities. It is amazing. Can't help you on the B and B but go to the show Ualena. It is a wonderful "broadway show" in Lahina that is rich in hawaiian culture, dance and music. As for Molokini. Never did it but I would go with the whale watch. Caution: sometimes if the weather is bad, boats that you sign up for to Molokini will not go there and take you to other places to snorkel. Make sure if you really want to do Molokini, and the weather conditions are bad, you can pull out of your reservations. FYI. Have fun!

mzambo Feb 15th, 2004 05:22 AM

Haleakala is awesome, we did do the sunrise and it was indeed freezing!!!! One very cool thing about going for the sunrise.... We were standing above the clouds, yes above the clouds!!!!! The drive up there is beautiful and very diverse!!!! There is a good resteraunt called the Kula Lodge that affords a great view of the valley of the island. Not expensive and good breakfasts. It will gradually warm throughout the day, start with pants and bring shorts as the previous poster suggested.

The Old Lahaina Luau is AWESOME!!!!!!
parking is not a problem at all!!!!! Unlike alot of the other luaus being on hotel grounds, The Old Lahaina is their own property right in Lahaina, very large parking area. That will be a wonderful night to remember. Do NOT change luau's!!!!!

Enjoy your trip. See as much as you can.

Do the drive to the north shore, beyond Kapalua, there are great cliffs up there, ask locals for directions to the blowhole, or check Maui Revealed. Take a thin sheet with you in your suitcase and carry it with you, that way when driving you can stop and picnic or stop and admire anywhere you please.

diart Feb 15th, 2004 08:35 AM

Well, I think I have done most of what your are asking about. Molokini - It was my first time & it was pretty cool. A sea turtle swam next to me.

Haleakala - do it once. It was a great experience except we were grouped in with a more mature crowd (I'm in my late 30's) & some were a little too skiddish on the bicycles & that was a bit of a hindrance.

I really did not like the idea of a luau. We did one on our honeymoon in '98 at the Aston I think. We also had them 2-3 nights a week outside our hotel room at the Renaissance where we stayed. Not my kind of thing but when we returned to Maui for our 4th anniversary we went to the Old Lahaina Luau & it was quite different -- pleasantly so. I recommend it.

When we went the second time we stayed at the Guest House & really enjoyed it. It is incredibly laid back but very efficient. I worried a little since whoever I spoke with on the phone sounded young & non-chalant. I assumed it was the owner's daughter. It turned out just fine. We booked all of our activities ourselves before getting there & somehow double booked 2 activities. When we did not show up for one that place called the Guest House to reschedule for us which after consulting with us they did. They had boogie boards, fins, snorkel equipment, etc. for guests to use. I recommend going to Wal-mart & getting a cheapo snorkling set for $8. That way you know it's your germs.

Have a great time & try the Blue Water Rafting. Great experience. We had baby dolphins swimming just ahead of us in the boat. We also saw a flying fish. Funniest thing I have ever seen in nature.

Ingenieur Feb 15th, 2004 09:41 AM

I did the Haleakala Crater Loop hike (approximately 14 miles) described in Maui Revealed, and it was the highlight of my trip. There are shorter hikes that you go on inside the crater. I definately recommend this over the bike ride.

Kristin71367 Feb 16th, 2004 10:57 AM

ALOHA! I went to Maui back in Oct 96 for our honeymoon. You will love it! We stayed at the Marriott and they had a very nice luau. I loved Haleakala - I did however drag my hubby up there in the morning. This is when I found out that he is not as in touch with his Mother Nature side as I am. I loved the sunrise and actually felt like I was up in the heavens. I do recommend this if you are at all an early riser. It was cool and we had sweatshirts. So do take something like that to wear. We stayed at the Marriott, so I have no advice on the B&B's that you mentioned. Try out snorkeling while you are there. It was my first time and now I am hooked. We went swimming with the green back turtles and it was a great experience.

pspercy Feb 16th, 2004 08:33 PM

Hi, I'll try answer your queries.
Firstly, Blue Book is <b>not</b> always right but it is a good source and sets a standard for maps &amp; pics.
Haleakala. We drove up there last October arriving at the summit about noon. Temp was high 40s/low 50s but very pleasant. Fun driving above the clouds. On the way down we detoured &quot;left&quot; to go to winery. Great views both local and distant, well worth it. Upcountry is a different world.
Old Lahaina Luau; went there three years ago, good show in a nice setting. Would recommend the Ulalena show in Lahaina, fantastic drumming even if my wife had to explain the story to me !
Lodgings, in general I find B&amp;Bs overpriced most places (mainland too), we've settled for condos in the past; Noelani twice and The Mahana most recently, both a little north of the Kaanapali area.
Decisions decisions :)

loverly7 Feb 18th, 2004 01:16 AM

Thanks for all your helpful replies! I'll be sure to post a trip report in October after my trip! Thanks again!

here_today_gone2Maui Feb 24th, 2004 12:18 PM

Something you might want to consider is that Aloha Festival on Maui is in October. There are lots of local activities and events to attend, including a fabulous rodeo and a real luau in Hana for the closing weekend. Where else can you sit on a hillside with the ocean before you, eat fresh ahi poke and watch the local keiki rope cattle?