Reload this Page >

Maui Prince or other hotels on Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Rosemary

Anyone have comments on the Maui Prince or other hotels on Maui. Looking at 4* properties, prefer a smaller hotel that has some feeling of authenticity. Not really into the 6 pools, etc. scene, just a nice quiet, with good beach and good service. More concerned with the overall experience than 5* rooms.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:13 PM
kwl

We were considering the Maui Prince, but stayed at the Rennaisance Wailea. Do a search, and you'll find a ton of info. It came highly recommended by other fodorites, and we were very happy. The rooms were spacious with balconies, the bathrooms weren't dingy (and we got bath & body works toiletries I'm still using to this day , there were very few if any children, an excellent beach for snorkeling, and all for a reasonable price ($185/nt). The only complaint I have is the lack of beach or pool chairs depending on the time. When we would go late to the beach (~12), there wouldn't be any chairs. Then, when we'd head to the pool to escape the trade winds around 3, the chairs would be tight too. But we were very happy there, and are going back for our first anniversary.

Have a fabulous trip!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:42 PM
John

Do understand that the Maui Prince is an Oriental themed hotel. Stark design, lots of square shapes/angles, minimalist, "uncozy" (IMO).
It is secluded and has a nice little beach and service is good.
Not what I'd call Hawaiian flavor if that's what you mean by "authentic".

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 10:52 AM
d.embody

Try the Napili Sunset. Wonderful condos on a lovely stretch of beach. www.napilisunset.com

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 09:47 AM
ed

Rosemary -

The Maui Prince would not be my pick with all the other wonderful choices of hotels in the Wailea area. The Maui Prince definitely exhibits the stark, Asian influence and does not reflect the Hawaiana influence in decor that most visitors are anticipating. It is in a secluded spot at the end of the road, however, this hotel seems to also cater dominantly to the Asian market as well. I would not choose to return with all the other offerings available on this part of the island.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Sharon

Try the Four Seasons in Wailea. It isn't on the grand scale like the Grand Wailea, and it's generally a quiet serene place, very peaceful. I don't know exactly how many rooms it has, but it certainly doesn't have that huge hotel feel, and the accomodations are first class.