Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui or Kauai for mini honeymoon - and I'm pregnant....

Jan 6th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

We're trying to decide whether to go to Maui or Kauai mid April (low season) for 5 days for a mini honeymoon and babymoon. Our budget is about $300 a night but will pay a bit more if it's worth it. We are both active so we don't want to be too secluded but I also want to try and find a pregnant friendly place and/or activities I can do. I've been to Honolulu and Oahu before but my soon to be husband has never been to Hawaii so I'd like him to get a taste of the culture as well. Any ideas on where we should stay and any activities that are accessible? We plan on playing golf and we will be renting a car as well.

Thanks in advance!
Jan 6th, 2016, 04:58 PM

It really is a flip of the coin, but if heads were up I'd choose Princeville/Hanalei. The land/aina is breathtaking, the farmers markets outstanding.
Jan 6th, 2016, 05:25 PM

another vote for Princeville/Hanalei. I've been to all the islands and just think that for pure scenic beauty, there is nothing more beautiful and romantic than standing and looking at Hanalei Bay with the mountains behind. My husband proposed on a hike there and we split our honeymoon between Kauai and the Big Island but if I had to choose just one it would always be Kauai! But it really is just stunning and you can play golf at Princeville, beach relaxation, walks, and easy kayaking in the river (not sure how far along you are on pregnancy)....

We have stayed at the St Regis for more of a splurge but also at Hanalai Bay resort when with a larger group which was also good (condo style with kitchen).
Jan 7th, 2016, 04:02 AM

We stayed in Kihei on Maui ...but we are a family so different demands
Beautiful !
Haven't been to Kauai
My son and his bride honeymooned north of Lahaina on Maui..that's a nice end of the island but Kihei is cheaper
We had an amazing apartment right on the water..great sunsets

I think I'd stay in Lahaina..Kihei is quiet at night
Lahaina is vibrant and we had a great luau there too

Hired a car drove to Hana..it is bumpy and winding..depends how well you're feeling..if you're feeling nauseous I wouldn't do it
But it is gorgeous..so much to see

Snorkelling is great round the southern parts of Kihei ..lots of places to explore

I'm sure you can't go wrong..I've heard greats things about all of the islands
Jan 7th, 2016, 08:39 AM

Princeville is scenic, but I'm not sure you would call it 'pregnant' friendly. imo- You might enjoy the South Side of Maui better. One of the golf condos or the Makena Resort will be in your budget
Jan 7th, 2016, 09:49 AM

How is Princeville 'Pregnant unfriendly" Frank? Please give details.
Jan 7th, 2016, 09:56 AM

For starters
St Regis is out of their budget, most of the other properties I can think of will require lots of steps, or dirt paths to get down to the beach. Kauai mud is really slippery
Jan 7th, 2016, 10:03 AM

I've only been to Maui and Oahu, not Kauai. I really think it's just a coin flip decision.

Maybe research hotels/resorts on both islands and see which ones jump out at you?
Jan 7th, 2016, 01:26 PM

I'd also pick Kauai and have been to both. April is kind of a transition month on the North Shore. Hanalei Bay Resort is nice and you can either drive to the beaches or they have a golf cart which will take you down to their beach and pick you back up (phone at the beach there) if trail is too muddy or rough.Grand Hyatt would be my pick but out of their budget. Maybe Sheraton in Poipu, or a condo at Kiahuna Plantation (does not mean you have to use the kitchen).
Jan 8th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone!! I really appreciate the feedback. I'm going to research all your suggestions and see what deals we may be able to find during that time

Again, really appreciate it!