Search

Maui or Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui or Kauai

We are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks at the end of February. We will go to Oahu and the Big Island and are trying to decided between Maui or Kauai for the last 4 days. We are not beach people or golfers but would like to hike a little and take in the gorgeous scenery. Would you recommend 4 days on Maui or Kauai. Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:41 AM

You can't beat Kauai for gorgeous scenery. From the view on the West side overlooking Waimea Canyon to the lushness and beaches of the north shore, it is beautiful. That said, the north shore in winter will have weather/swimming issues (the latter isn't a problem since it sounds like you won't be swimming, but hiking may be an issue)
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

So, if we stay south, we can anticipate warm weather at the end of February?
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 11:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Both have what you request. For me with only two weeks, personally I'd not add another island but keep all your with on BI and Oahu.
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 12:00 PM

Kauai has good hiking out of Waimea Canyon and Koke'e State Park. If you decide to hike the first 2 miles of the Kalalau Trail, check the weather first and have a plan B if it is raining or muddy. Every year they have to rescue some dummies who insist on hiking the trail and get stranded when the stream rises. Last year they rescued over 100 including small children and a pregnant woman via chopper. Hikers had to stay overnight until it was safe to attempt a rescue.
Poipu should have pretty good weather that time of year.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 11:35 AM

I would not stay north on Kauai, Oahu or even to some extent on Maui in winter. (Not Napili or Kapalua.)

No, you can't be *guaranteed* good weather at Poipu in February -- probably OK during el Nino pattern. Kauai's most gorgeous scenery is north. Trails are often closed due to rain/mud in winter.

February is the peak of whale season in Hawaii and best observed from Maui. You'd see whales from Big Island too, but there are few beaches there and only NW. Maui has many good, easy-access beaches with good snorkeling in both West and South areas.

You need 7 - 10 nights Big Island if you want to stay both sides. I would only do ONE other island.

Transit between islands will eat 4 - 6 hours, door to door. Day One in Hawaii your body will be adjusting to the time change. Better to enjoy where you are than try to cram in too much, besides, Hawaii only runs on Island Time.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 11:43 AM

Yes, they have closed the trail to Kalalau once a week or two ago when they were getting lots of rain. Problem is some people ignore the signs and get on the trail anyway.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 12:02 PM

I would chose Kauai.

can we >> anticipate warm weather at the end of February? >>

Even though the North Shore will have more rain in the winter it will still be very warm weather. I would guess it'll be in the mid to high 70's (which I think is perfect weather).

This is probably true of all the islands during the "winter" - more rain on the north shores, larger waves, rain, but tropical warm weather.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 03:04 PM

Kauai.
It will be different from what else you've seen. And for me...Kauai's North Shore is the only place that is my "fantasy" of Hawaii.

Maui has some spectacular scenery, too. But it's too developed for my taste. I prefer that my scenery NOT have wall-to-wall resorts and condos framing it ;-).

There's no guarantee of good weather on ANY of the islands in winter. I'll be on Kauai's North Shore in February - as I have been for the past eight winters. I only had one year when it was consistently rainy for most of a week. More often, you'll get intermittent showers--mostly at night. I would not return if I were going to be stuck in the rain the whole time.

Definitely, Kauai.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Kauai gets our vote too. I fear we are cramming in a bit much, Oahu, Big Island and Kauai, but I don't know if we will ever get back to Hawaii.
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 08:06 AM

How about a daytrip to Kauai from Honolulu? Take a helicopter or fixed-wing tour. You are already spending too much time in airports, but at least you would not be 'moving house' -- and Kauai is *small*. You'll like it. You'll come back...in summer.

My DH and have visited all four major islands many times in February. This includes several stays at Poipu. Now we 'winter' in South Maui. (I like Big Island best, but it's easier to own on an island with more conveniences.)

People keep coming back to Hawaii to get on Island Time and soak in the Aloha. If those of us posting here had a dollar for every visitor who thought they would never return... You won't return if you don't have time to appreciate where you are before fleeing on to the 'next thing'.
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 12:45 PM

agree with SongDoc. Maui has nice beaches but way too developed for my tastes as well. Weather is always iffy in Winter on the Islands but expect in the low 70's Good hiking on Kauai. Last year we walked the Mahaulepu Heritage trail and loved it. Past the Grand Hyatt and down to the water is where it begins. Hike on rocks all along the ocean - beautiful views and fabulous rock formations. Bike rentals are fun on the paved beach path in Ka'paa... Kauai Beach Bike rentals are cheap 2 bikes 1 hour $10 (or it was in 2013) I too would stick with just 2 islands and I would vote for BI and Kauai but it is a personal choice. Just got back from BI and loved it again.