Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui or Big Island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-or-big-island-285472/)

martas Feb 6th, 2003 07:48 AM

Maui or Big Island?

I know this is a broad question, and probably depends on what you like, but any thoughts on which is better to visit - Maui or the Big Island? What about Kuaui (sp?) Thanks in advance.

martas Feb 6th, 2003 09:47 AM

Anyone?

Wendy Feb 6th, 2003 10:35 AM

Martas, <BR><BR>What is the critera you are looking to compare? Since you know this choice depends on what your interests are why don't you help us and tell us.<BR><BR>Or are one word with no explaination answers all you need?<BR><BR>In that case- Big Island<BR><BR>Wendy

martas Feb 6th, 2003 11:23 AM

Thanks Wendy. What is it about BI that you like more - is it more scenic? More interesting sights? Nicer places to stay? (Any recommendations here?) Better beach? We're flexible, have never been to Hawaii, and would like a good combination of relaxing and sightseeing/beautiful scenery. Any further comments are greatly appreciated!

Gardyloo Feb 6th, 2003 11:29 AM

I'll chip in -<BR><BR>The Big Island simply has much more variety than the others, ranging from rain forest to volcanoes to ranch lands... history and interesting cultural background too. <BR><BR>In general the beaches are not as good, in fact very few white sand beaches at all, but some fun black sand ones. IMO the variety makes up for it, but if you're looking for a lay-on-the-beach vacation instead of a more active, exploring one, then one of the other islands might suit you better.

martas Feb 6th, 2003 12:07 PM

Thanks Gardyloo. We're thinking about 2 islands out of Maui, BI, and Kauai. Any thoughts on whether to do Kauai (getting nice beach?) and BI (varied scenery) or should we do Maui and either BI or Kauai?

mlc Feb 6th, 2003 01:07 PM

I've been to Maui twice(my favorite - we're going again next week), Oahu and The Big Island, and to be honest, didn't enjoy the latter all that much. I've heard Kauai is incredible, so that is next on our list of islands to visit.

Wendy Feb 6th, 2003 01:13 PM

Gardyloo hit it on the head for range of dramatic environments on the BI. Maui is my #2. You can't go wrong with any of the islands, trust me (except Oahu IMO). <BR><BR>Wendy

martas Feb 6th, 2003 01:34 PM

Thanks for the input. Should have put this in my first post, but what about Maui beach compared to the Kauai beaches? Also, any comments on the Fairmont Orchid on BI?

nicknik Feb 6th, 2003 03:45 PM

martas.<BR>Iwent in may last year, and this is my take.<BR>oahu is great, it felt like hawaii to me, im a tourist and it is touristy.<BR> maui is the best to me great beaches and a lot of activities, never a dull moment.<BR>kauai is very nice , great beaches,( in my opinion kee beach) with the hiking mountain ridge trail and the beach for snorkeling below is as good as it gets. just that it is a small island and not as lively. <BR>never been to big island but sounds very good to me .<BR>You might want to go to two or more islands , your choice , you cant go wrong. nick

SFImporter Feb 6th, 2003 04:54 PM

Big Island, Big Island!! For all the reasons stated. Maui and Kauai are great too, probably in reverse order. <BR><BR>I tagged along on a business trip at the Orchid and while it is nice, I thought it too reserved and pricey.<BR><BR>Headed back next week and revisiting the Hilton Waikoloa Village. I love this place! It fits everyone's needs. It's got three towers - each one devoted to specific parties - i.e. families with kids, adults on romantic escapes, and foreign visitors. All spaced far enough apart so no &quot;group&quot; disturbs the others. (http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/brhiltonwv.html).

itswoody Feb 7th, 2003 05:01 PM

Big Island is the most interesting although as was mentioned the beaches aren't the best.

ww Feb 7th, 2003 06:31 PM

Big Island! Maui is great too. Kauii is scenic. Oahu is fine if it's your first trip to the Hawaiian islands. You've got to see Pearl Harbor Memorial. <BR>Do at least two islands if you can. Enjoy!

Pumpy Feb 7th, 2003 07:41 PM

There's no right answer. While I prefer the BI, I know others that prefer Maui or Kauai. Depending on your length of stay, I too would encourage you to try two islands. My favorite two (if it matters) are BI &amp; Kauai.

DE Feb 8th, 2003 01:48 PM

Another vote for the BIg Island and Kauai. Both are very different from each other. Have been to Kaui twice and the BI three times. Also been to the other islands a few times as well. I enjoy Kaui for its beauty and lush vegetation. Princeville is a good resort to stay at and located in the most picturesque area of the island. You can't beat the view of Bali Hai especially at sunset. The Big Island is very diverse, as mentioned. If you stay there try a helicopter tour of the island as you can get an amazing perspective from the air. I was surprised to have been told that the largest ranch in the US was on this island. Interesting volcanic areas to visit. One of the big telescopes for viewing the stars is there. There's lots to keep you busy or if you prefer, you can just kickback and relax. Our first visit we stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa which was the Hyatt at that time. It was quite new and very large with that real big resort atmosphere. While fun the first time, on the other 2 visits we opted for a smaller more intimate resort and stayed at the Orchid at Mauna Lani. We had a good experience both times and found it worth the money. Wherever you decide have a great time.

JNR61 Feb 8th, 2003 05:22 PM

We were in Maui and the BI this time last year. In Maui, we stayed at the magnificent Four Seasons in Wailea and loved it. We went to the top of Haleakala for the sunset and did the road to Hana. The sights were magnificent and, even though we only had three full days there before going on to the BI, we felt that we got a nice flavor for the island. The beaches are magnificent and there seem to be several distinct personalities to Maui -- the more &quot;touristy&quot; and busier Kaanapali and the quieter Wailea. Both great choices depending upon your needs. We loved Wailea!<BR><BR>We then went on to the BI for a sales trip and stayed at the Hilton Waikaloa. Totally different experience in terms of large property versus the Four Seasons on Maui, but it was also fabulous. The food on both islands was terrific and, as I'm a big fish eater, I was in heaven, trying a different fish almost every night we were there. <BR><BR>My general impression is that Kuaui is more like Maui, only quieter, and that it is extremely picturesque. The BI has varied terrain due to the volcano, but friends of ours who went early for the sales trip went to Volcanoes National Park and didn't like it -- she said it was just grey and dirty from the lava (not sure what she expected!). We did an unbelievable private hike into a waterfall that was spectacular and there are lots of those kinds of excursions -- rafting, whale watching, hiking.<BR><BR>Good luck with your decision!

nyc Feb 9th, 2003 02:01 PM

Martas:<BR><BR> It really depends on your own preferences. If you buy the book Hawaii for Dummies, there's a long questionaire you can use to determine which island is best for you. Also the Hawaiian tourism website, www.gohawaii.com, has a comparison of the islands.<BR><BR> The Big Island is much larger and less developed than Maui, which means that it is easier to get peace and quiet, but there is also less nightlife. Maui as a rule has more and better beaches, but the Big Island has the two best beaches (Hapuna and Mauna Kea) in the whole state. Both islands have first class resorts, but in my view the Four Seasons on the Big Island is the very best (better than the Four Seasons on Maui). For shopping and entertainment, Maui wins hands down. But for big attractions, nothing rivals the Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. There is nothing like seeing live lava flows up close.<BR><BR> Kauai is very beautiful and not nearly as developed as Maui. The north shore of the Kauai is the most beautiful part of the Islands, but there isn't much to do at night.

martas Feb 10th, 2003 05:05 AM

Thanks, everyone, for all the great input! Any thoughts on the Orchid on the Big Island?