Reload this Page >

Maui Marriott Ocean Club $798 deal: A Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Suzie

There are a number of good things about this resort. One is the Beachwalk café which serves a good a varied breakfast lunch and dinner. From hamburgers, pizza and chicken strips to grilled ahi and to die for turkey sandwich on foccacia the food was reasonably priced for Maui. The real deal for those who like to drink Starbucks coffee or soda is a refillable plastic mug with top sold for $22.00. The mug can be used for the length of your stay with all refills free. Coffee and soda were about $2.50 for the same size so if you drink those beverages frequently you’d save a lot of $$$. We don’t drink Starbucks and we didn’t drink soda so we passed on that deal.

The other great think was the restaurant Va Bene. We ate there twice. Had the same great waiter who informed us that when it’s crowded there the lounge chairs are spread all over the lawns including in front of the restaurant. Had the ahi special, which came with two jumbo shrimp, wrapped in procuitto. It was awesome. It was not available the second time so just had the regular menu ahi which was good too.

This resort is a good family place but I would not recommend it for couples looking for a romantic getaway. There were lots of kids (ours included) and lots of people yelled across the pool to friends and family, which I thought was odd. This wasn’t just a kids thing either adults yelled a lot too.

Despite the Marriott’s catering to families, our kids felt that a better resort was the Hyatt. We walked next door to remind ourselves of past visits and the kids agreed that it was a much nicer place.

More……

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Suzie

Other stuff we did while in Maui:

Took Four Winds II to Molokini. This was a great trip. The Four Winds captain and crew were so great and accommodating. Lots of food, 2 hours of snorkeling, BBQ lunch and whatever beer and wine you wanted all the way back. Saw giant turtles on the way back. Very memorable trip. Though they will take a large number of guests 120 or so you’d never know because it’s a big boat and very comfortable. Captain John lets the kids steer the boat, which is great for them. Would highly recommend this trip.

Tried to snorkel at Honolua Bay and other places on the west side but the suf was heavy and the water was not clear enough. Snorkeled at Black rock despite the shark warnings. Stayed to watch the torch lighting at the Sheraton. The guy was great. As he was running down the beach he selected a little kid to carry the torch to the end running along side him. The kid was thrilled. Later he stayed and talked to us. Very friendly guy.

Snorkeled at Ulua & Mokapu Beaches. Fish were great here. Saw schools of fish and a zebra eel and a sea snake. Great spot.

Drove down to the end of the road past Makena and across the lava fields. It was an interesting site to see the BI off the south shore.

Another great place to eat was Café O’Lei. Very good food had ono, which was terrific. Situated over the water in Lahaina. Ate at Hula Grill Barefoot Bar. My Ahi was good, DH dinner was awful. Ate at Leilani’s as well. Food was average. Nothing special. Parking in Lahaina is terrible. You either have to be lucky enough to get a spot on the street or you’ll have to pay.

We left on Friday afternoon and noticed a big difference in the number of cars and people arriving for the Thanksgiving week. Merchants we spoke with said it will pick up now through about April with a short lull after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Suzie

Sorry all, this was supposed to be the first part of my report. I'm not sure why it didn't post:

Just back from the Maui Marriott Ocean Club using the deal offered in the mail of $798 for 5 nights including convertible car and $50 resort credit. I know there are others who were thinking of taking this offer but who wanted to find out if it was a real deal or not. It’s a real deal. We arrived around noon in Kahului and picked up our convertible at the Hertz counter. Drove to Lahaina to pick up gear at Snorkel Bobs and on to the Marriott. They greeted us with leis made of kukui nuts and directed us to our room on the 7th floor of the hotel section of the resort. Our room was mostly mountain facing but we did have a nice view of the ocean and could see part of Lahaina sticking out at the point. Also we were just above the luau stage so we had an almost nightly serenade of Hawaiian music (if we were in our rooms that is!) Room was regular hotel room with refrigerator in the armoire and a coffee maker with supplies in the bathroom. Unpacked and headed down to the pool for some mai tais. Found immediately that being 7 floors up and at the ocean end of the resort meant a hike to the elevators or a run up/down 7 flights of stairs. We used both methods.

Pool area was nice but the lounge chair situation was annoying at first. We later caught on that people would place towels on lounge chairs and then hope that would save their place in the event they felt like coming to the pool later. Eventually we found that unless there were personal belongings the people were unlikely to return. Still it was an annoying practice. Everyone pretty much bragged that they did this beginning around 7:30 am. Pool has medium sized slide that goes pretty slow, a waterfall and the often-mentioned Pirate ship. Just FYI, the pirate ship is for VERY young kids. There are two Jacuzzis.

To get our $50 resort credit we did have to meet with someone who attempted to get us to make an appointment for a timeshare presentation. Though no sales pitch was made the guy used hilarious lines on us. “Your kids will want to come back to Maui after this and what will you tell them?” Me: I’d tell them to get a job and pay their own way. Him: “You should just make a tentative appointment because if you later decide you want to attend a preview you may not be able to get one.” Me: If I call you for an appointment to buy a timeshare you will find me an appointment. It was obvious he would get nowhere with me so he handed over the gift certificates and we left.

This resort was very busy compared with everywhere else on Maui. None of the other places along the path on Kaanapali had even close to the numbers of guests. The timeshare selling was ongoing and constant and the vast majority of guests there were owners.

More……

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Sheri

Ok I get it. The third part was really the first part and the first part was really the second part and the second part was really the third part.

My question: Did anyone get sick on the trip to Molikini? I get motion sickness do I need to take something before I go?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Suzie

I was wondering if the trip would make me sick after my mai tai binge the day before! The water seemed rough on that day and the captain did say that a few people were getting quesy but that he and the crew would do whatever they could to make them feel better. They had all kinds of remedies that he mentioned like ginger and some others. It seemed like it was important to them that everone have a good time.

I didn't feel bad at all and I didn't see anyone get sick. The ride back was much smoother. I'd consider taking something if you are easily upset.

They do try to make everyone comfortable. Daughter was stung by a bee on the way back and they helped her out with some topical treatment that worked pretty well at the time. That was last Monday and the bee sting is still apparent on her leg. Wonder what kind of bee it was?

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Suzie

Hey I almost forgot two things I really liked about this place in case they are important to other guests.

1. Doors don't slam shut! Thought about that topic near the end of our stay and realized that I never heard any banging doors.

2. In room safe. Was great to have as we never worried about where our cash was. Also discovered that if you enter the combination incorrectly 3 consecutive times you loose the contents of the safe for 30 minutes. (this was a learning experience brought to us by our 12 yo son) You can charge drinkstoyour room at the pool bar so no worries!!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Joey

Suzie, thanks for the update on the Maui Mariott Deal! We're going to Maui in mid Jan. and were deciding between this deal and the Renassance. The Renn. has a 48hr cancellation, but the Maui Mariott deal is a use it or loose it prop. I like the quietness of Wailea and Ulua beach, so it looks like that's what we will probably do. Thanks so much for your trip report & update on the Mariott!!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:14 AM
Suzie

Good for you Joey. Hope you have a terrific time. You're in close proximaty to a really great snorkeling area and it's free! Make sure you snorkel at the rocky point at Ulua Beach. We had the best snorkeling there. Much better than either Black Rock or Molokini.

I thought Wailea was very nice.