Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui, Mama's Fishhouse worth the $$$$? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-mama-s-fishhouse-worth-the-519771/)

Deblynn Apr 8th, 2005 09:17 PM

Maui, Mama's Fishhouse worth the $$$$?

We've been planning our anniversary trip for June in Maui. I've been looking at menus and deciding where we want to eat. We had planned on eating at Mama's Fishhouse, but today they emailed their menu with prices! Wow, they are so expensive, really is $42 for an entree really worth it, when you have to pay an additional $12 for a salad and $12 for a glass of wine? This is kind of ridiculous, isn't it? Any advice from those of you that have ate at Mamas would be great. Thanks, Deb

here_today_gone2Maui Apr 8th, 2005 09:22 PM

Deblynn, see my response to an earlier post of your.

sceneisle Apr 8th, 2005 10:12 PM

Deb - We went to Mama's for lunch.....two Ahi (Tuna) sandwiches with water set me back over $70.00, with tip. Good food, very nice restaurant and awesome view of the beach but wouldn't go back again.....especially for dinner. I'm sure my opinion falls in the minority, but I don't think the experience was worth the outrageous prices.

lcuy Apr 9th, 2005 01:10 AM

I love Mama's food and will plan trips to Maui around eating dinner there!

Well worth the $$$$ to me.

jacketwatch Apr 9th, 2005 02:59 AM

First of all Maui is pricey to begin with. IMHO Mamas is worth it. Why? Well you are on vacation and though the food is high the selections and setting are tremendous and worth it to splurge on. Afterall you don't do this everyday and it is your anniverary. I say go for it. JM2C

xkenx Apr 9th, 2005 08:05 AM

IMO, the Gayot Guides are spot on in their restaurant reviews, and they are not that high on Mama's, especially at their prices. See www.gayot.com

auntiemaria Apr 9th, 2005 08:15 AM

For the quality of food, presentation, and service, Mama's is definitely worth lunch _or_ dinner, IMHO. ((Y))

And the location...wonderful! 8-)

beach_dweller Apr 9th, 2005 08:36 AM

If Mama's were significantly higher than the other nice restaurants we visited on Maui, then I would say go elsewhere. But they all have high prices relative to what many of us on the mainland are used to.

Maui dining is expensive. Adjust your budget accordingly, and don't worry about it. Enjoy dinner, eat fish you haven't had before, laugh at the $14 mai tai you buy at Mama's. You're on vacation! If the expense is something you just can't get around, Maui Taco has nothing over $6.99 on its menu.

travelenthusiast Apr 9th, 2005 05:09 PM

My husband and I went to Maui in 2001. It is my husband's favorite restaurant. He had macadamia nut encrusted mahi mahi and still raves about it. If, no when, we return to Maui we will definitely go back there. Make sure you go at sunset and ask for a table with a view!

amelie Apr 12th, 2005 02:51 PM

Yes, I would definitely go back. It was the best restaurant we ate at on our honeymoon. Plus being on a honeymoon (or anniversary!) it is worth it to splurge.

But yeah I agree with the others, a lot of restaurants on Mauihad similiar prices. It was a relief when we got to Kaua'i after Maui and our dinners went from $200 down to $100.

kunnasch Apr 25th, 2005 12:37 PM

Mama's was the best fish I have ever eaten. We spent $139 for 2 cocktails, 1 salad to share, 2 entrees, and 1 dessert. Well worth the money and I will go back!

CajunStorm Apr 25th, 2005 01:35 PM

IMO I would say that I'd highly recommend trying it if you've never been instead of saying whether or not it's worth the money. It was expensive and from what I remember the food was pretty good but not necessarily so great that I'd have to return. BUT I highly enjoyed the location and ocean-views. Service was just ok - but it was quite busy when we arrived at lunchtime - even at 2pm. Your experience may also depend on what you order. If it's cheaper I'd go for lunch like we did - that way you can really enjoy the ocean views the entire time.

BigJim Apr 25th, 2005 01:47 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Mama's is all that great. There are SO, SO many better, and cheaper, restaurants on Maui.

Postal Apr 25th, 2005 04:05 PM

I've been there a few times and always had a wonderful meal. Equally nice is John Dominis Restaurant on Oahu between Waikiki and Honolulu. Same prices, classier surroundings. Amazing seafood.

orchid Apr 25th, 2005 06:51 PM

Hi, Nick's Fishmarket at Wailea is wonderful. Service, food, and location cannot be beat.

theshippingoffice May 3rd, 2005 05:27 PM

Went to Mama's for lunch and after all the for and against postings it was great to experience the real thing.
Food was very good but not great. However the location,decor and ambiance make this place something special.
Our first visit to Maui and I found it all a little too crowded with people speaking loudly into their cell phones "I'm in Maui!" - but I could be drawn back just to go to Mama's.
Probably the low point were the two couples at the next table who complained throughout their meal about the price! If you don't want to pay that much and experience a special place - don't go! Last time I looked they didn't have armed gaurds in the carpark forcing people in! These people had a window seat at lunch overlooking the grounds and the ocean and the major topic of there time spent there were the prices.
We spent $170 for two, 2 appertizers, 2 entrees, 2 coffees, 2 cocktails and 2 glasses of wine (couldn't do justice to dessert and we were driving or we would have enjoyed a bottle). Compared to $70 for the worst meal of the trip it was outstanding. This was at a oft-recommended sunset bar named after an island dance. It was crowded, a long wait for a table, friendly service but a few drinks and a light meal cost $70 and the food was delivered almost cold. The fish was very tired.
There seems to be plenty of people willing to pay $8-$9 for Mai Tais with not much taste or flavour but they complain loudly about a $12 quality Mai Tai served in one-off glasses in a unique setting (I'm careful about using unique but I think in this case it's justified).
OK the rant ends - I liked Mama's. It is expensive but it is outstanding value for money and I hope to get back there for the total experience it offers!

hawaiiantraveler May 4th, 2005 10:05 AM

IMHO Mama's is an average local restaurant serving fresh Hawaiian fish(which tastes great anyway)and ripping off their customers with their unrealistic prices. Sorry, but there are alot of better restaurants in the State that serve better food at cheaper prices or better food at the same prices but with better service, atmosphere, etc. Just MHO.
Aloha!

llamalady May 4th, 2005 10:29 AM

......sure, the setting is wonderful at
Mama's but the setting is equally wonderful almost everywhere on Maui -
why not soak up the ambience during
the day and forgo the view at dinner
by eating the terrific food at someplace
like Roy's. I would call Mama's a
tourist destination not a great food
place. JMHO, of course!

pjv May 4th, 2005 02:46 PM

Went to Mama's last week on our honeymoon. We got a table by the window/screen. It was worth the $150 with tax/tip for lunch--1 MaiTai, 1 iced tea, 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, 1 dessert. The location was beautiful, the beach looked idyllic from our table, what you envision Hawaii is in your dreams. The service was great and the food was pretty good too. Even the restrooms were spotless. I would say go at lunch when you can see the beach. You can see a gorgeous sunset most anywhere in Maui.

luvmaui71 May 4th, 2005 02:56 PM

pjv,

Do you have a Trip Report for us??

Lori