Maui - Kayak Tour for Kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, looking for recommendations/insight on taking my children, ages 7 and 11 on a Kayak Tour. Both the 11 yr old and I have some paddling experience (whitewater rafting, canoeing), my husband and 7 year old do not. Maui Eco-Tours has one tour "Totally Turtles" which accepts all ages. Anyone done this? How rough is it/how hard is it to paddle? Both children are decent swimmers.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:34 AM

I can't remember any specific tours. But there are many. Most that I know of are start in the makena area, some start furhter north in kihei. If you are on the ocean in early morning the water is very calm and you could paddle for miles. any south maui tour will be an easy skill level and fine for you kids.

recently some people posted on this board about La Peruse Bay being closed to tour groups this was a popluar place to see sea turtles. but now it is protected.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:35 AM

Eileen: My boys are a bit older now, but we have done the double kayak trip with them a number of times in Maui and Kauai. Most recently was last year in Maui. I can't remember the company, but we left from South Maui (south of Makena towards La Perouse Bay) in the morning around 7am and kayaked around a couple of points to a smaller bay north of La Perouse. You will all have to wear life vests. I would suggest that the 11 yr old ride with you and the 7 yr old ride with your husband. It is easy to learn and is not really that hard (they give basic instructions). In the morning the water is fairly calm and you are back by about 10:30 or so. There will be times when you and your husband will have to let the kids rest, but we were able to make it when my kids were about the age of yours. The guide takes you over to the small bay, you beach the kayaks, snorkel, rest, eat their snacks for about an hour and then head back. You stop half way back and snorkel near "Turtle Town". It is strenuous, but fun. I think that your family would enjoy it.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:25 PM

Last year we did a 8am-2pm tour through La Perouse Bay with Maui Kayaks. This area is now closed to commercial operators and I don't suggest trying to paddle this area on your own, as I saw lots of people in trouble without a guide, pushed up on the rocks, etc.

The waters were calm in the early morning, but the wind down there really picks up around midday, making the ocean more difficult; there were many times our kayak was surfing the waves and dropping when they broke (fun for us, maybe scary for kids, unless they're a little experienced like yours). I would find a tour that starts early and only goes a few hours to avoid midday wind in South Maui if you have an inexperienced 7 year old.

The section where we swam with turtles on this trip was off a section of beach called The Dumps, south of Big Beach, and there were a lot of turtles, it was awesome.

There are however, kayak trips on other parts of the island, but I don't have any experience with those.

love
roxy
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:52 PM
gyppielou

I too went with Maui Kayaks and had a great experience, although the surf was way up, and after 5 hours I was crushed for the rest of the day and night. So I suggest you check the cancellation policy with whomever you choose and watch the surf report. If the seas forcast as high, then you can cancel 24 hours in advance. Otherwise it would be a fantastic experience for all. I do suggest you take the 7 year old and have you 11 year old take you husband and teach him a few things!!!