Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui-just back (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-just-back-72119/)

cj May 15th, 2000 08:57 AM

Maui-just back

Wrote my whole report Sat. and ATT blew me out twice, so I will just kept posting to this message. <BR> <BR>1. Off the plane, go straight to Mama's Fishhouse restaurant. Take Hana Hwy one mile past Paia. View, food, decor, casual, elegent. Enpensive, but you can order an appetizer instead of meal, we had a lovely lunch with no wait. <BR> <BR>2. Was going to do Hana/Hale heli tour, but there had been an incident with black beauties several days before. I knew what auto-rotation meant so I skipped. <BR> <BR>continued <BR> <BR>

cj May 15th, 2000 09:04 AM

3. Stayed at ok older Kaanapali Beach Hotel. It was just what we wanted. Big rooms, big gardens, Hawaiian music and hula show every night. I got hooked on eating beef terareki sticks and cheeseburgers at the tiki bar just after sunset watching the dancers and drinking tropical drinks. Valet parking was $7.00/day vs $5.00 regular. It was worth it. <BR> <BR>4. Whalers village secret. Facing entrance, drive in left driveway down left side of bldgs. There is beach access parking scattered there. I used it for hauling packages, instead of walking to hotel. I was one hotel away. <BR> <BR>contn

cj May 15th, 2000 09:14 AM

5. Sheraton next door, was real nice, and we even walked into that river pool they had. The snorkeling is popular there, but, to be honest, for us Florida gulf coast chickens that water is cold. <BR> <BR>6. Royal Lahaina Luau was ok, show & food good, but they have you packed in like sardines and you are eating with strangers. I thought I was booking old Lahaina. It was my mistake. We did Paradise Cove on Oahu years ago and it was much nicer, spread out and you could walk around down to beach, etc. <BR> <BR>7. Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Great view, terrible service at lunch, waited for long time for food and it wasn't crowded. Do not order bucket of anything, cause there's not much in there. Nearby table had a pile of coconut shrimp. <BR> <BR>continued

cj May 15th, 2000 09:28 AM

9. Maui Princess Whale Watch @ 10am. There were some whales left and we could see them off in the distance. There is a rule how close the boats can go. Anyway, you sit at tables upstairs and cannot get up. The capt favors the right side of boat too. I would still do it, but you envision hanging over the rail looking down at them like on TV. <BR> <BR>10. Do get out on the water. Check all the brochures or just go down to the marina in Lahaina and watch the folks come and go to select. <BR> <BR>11. Hubby went on 8 hour Finest Kind fishing. He said it was long but caught a big fish and they couldnt get in boat and it got away. He had to be there before 6. <BR> <BR>12. On the corner of the main drag and market st is an ice cream parlor. Next to it on market st is a bakery/cafe, Sunset or Sunrise, i think. Tables outside. Their sandwiches were terrific...and bakery items yummy. <BR> <BR>13. On the side street in front of 500 Front Street shops is a crumby thrift store. I bought 2 great outfits in there. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

cj May 15th, 2000 10:02 AM

14. We had breakfast in Kahului about 9am on the corner of Hwy 380 and Hwy 36, diagonal across from K-Mart, left side if you are coming from other side of isle, called Maria or Marios, great food. <BR> <BR>15. Up the mountain was fantastic, the scenery was beautiful, and ever-changing, horses, cattle, flowers, flowering trees. You think you will never get there. Temperature called for a sweater at the summit and it was wonderful. Coming down looked like Kula Lodge would have been the place to stop. We stopped at the snack stand on the right to look at the flowers. No time for winery, but went into Makawao, mostly clothes shops. Wasn't hungry for that fancy market restaurant. Some guy told hubby he went up on bus and you could see cars that had gone over the side. Driving pretty scary and exciting. <BR> <BR>16. Going north from Kaanapali, we stopped at Napili off the main road. Recommend highly Seahouse Restaurant. We were almost 1st there 8:30 that morn and had the best breakfast, best service, and outstanding view. The hotel is Napili Kai and would definitely recommend because it is so close to the water. Anything on that bay. <BR> <BR>17. Drive till the blacktop road ends. The views are breathtaking and there are several some places to stop. <BR> <BR>18. I found more material at Quilters Corner & collectables, 1000 Limahana Place. Turn like you are going to the train station by the pizza hut on mountain side of road, one block turn right,it's in bldg over on left. Nice ladies there. <BR> <BR>19. The calendars were cheaper in EZ Discount than ABC...we got loads of them for gifts. Also hit the Hilo Hatties at Lahaina for gifts..7 oz Lion coffees $3.25. <BR> <BR>

cj May 15th, 2000 10:14 AM

15. We have been before so we didn't go south. The south coast is beautiful and a drive down is recommended and keep going to you get to the lava. We went to every single beach. Iao valley is lovely and something to do right from the airport. We took a picnic up last trip. <BR> <BR>We were there 5 days, and didn't even get around to doing some suggestions found here...Hula Grill, Cheeseburger in paradise, etc. But we saw two local crafts shows, so watch the papers. <BR> <BR>Have Fun

tripper May 16th, 2000 01:29 PM

Thank you for the advice. We are going to Maui in August for 8 days. I am doing my research now so I don't miss anything. Your tips are great.

cj May 18th, 2000 05:09 AM

Add On <BR>17 Drive north past Napili, Kapahua, just keep going. <BR> <BR>18 Quilt shop directions are for Lahaina.