Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui Itinerary - thoughts or suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-itinerary-thoughts-or-suggestions-518634/)

giulietta429 Apr 5th, 2005 06:44 AM

Maui Itinerary - thoughts or suggestions?

Hi. We are going to Hawaii this September (5 days on Maui followed by 5 days on the Big Island). This is what we have for itinerary so far - any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated:
Day 1: arrive at Kahului airport at 3pm, get snacks for the Haleakala sunrise at Walmart; check in at Westin; dinner at the Whaler's Village - Leilani's or Hula Grill
Day 2: do Haleakala sunrise on our own; hike around; drive down the volcano and do the zipline eco-adventure tour. Get some food on the way back to Ka'anapali (possibly at Kula Lodge or go to lunch at Mama's Fish House). Attend the Feast at Lele at night.
Day 3: The road to Hana; possibly drive around the island instead of backtracking. Dinner - options still open.
Day 4: We have Atlantis submarine booked, but having read all the negative comments, we might cancel that. Relax at the beach, walk around Lahaina, buy some souvenirs.
Day 5: Possibly do a Molokini Snorkeling trip - the Four Winds II gets high marks from the authors of "Maui Revealed." Old Lahaina Luau at night.
Day 6: inter-island flight to the Big Island.

ajcolorado Apr 5th, 2005 07:47 AM

Our family really enjoyed the Atlantis sub experience in Maui. We did the one in Maui and the one in Oahu and thought the Maui cruise was better. We used the Entertainment Book coupon and saved money. I think the activity owners gold card also offers and Atlantis discount.

giulietta429 Apr 5th, 2005 08:34 AM

we did use our entertainment book coupon for that, thank you :)
I am having some doubts about the sub, because everyone is saying that you can see more fish snorkeling...

here_today_gone2Maui Apr 5th, 2005 10:52 AM

As for the submarine, I believe there are many variables that will dictate what you see anywhere on any given day. I've had friends visit and not be able to snorkle the entire time due to poor weather and/or ocean conditions. I've been to Molokini when the palce was teeming with a variety of fish and when there seemed to be barely any fish at all. My parents did the submersible and it was a highlight of their visit. They learned much more on that trip than they did at any time on their own in the ocean, and saw much more variety that day. Others have come back with different experiences.

Cerlaurie Apr 5th, 2005 12:25 PM

giulietta, my husband and I just got back from Hawaii and also did 5 nights on the Big Island and 5 nights on Maui. We stayed in Wailea in Maui and we drove to Hana and continued all the way around. We took our time and it took around 11 round trip. We stopped at the Hana Hotel for lunch which was very nice. We had planned to stop at Mama's for dinner but we were exhausted and really wanted to get back and clean up before dinner. We did the sunrise at Haleakala but it rained the whole time so we didn't see anything. We had breakfast at Kula Lodge on the way down. We really liked it there. I suggest you go there and save Mama's for a different day. We went to Mama's for dinner and it was very expensive (lunch is supposed to be a little more reasonable). We also went late (around 8 pm). I would try to go earlier so you can enjoy the beautiful grounds. The Mahi Mahi is wonderful! We went snorkeling at Molokini and Turtletown with Trilogy Excursions and I would not hesitate to use them again. One day, we drove the coast of West Maui and continued past Kapalua - the drive was beautiful but it was a one way road for quite awhile and I thought it was pretty stressful and I wasn't even driving. We ended up turning around and going back when we had the chance.

You didn't mention what you had planned for the Big Island. We stayed on the Kohala Coast and we spent a whole day visiting the Volcano. On the way back we took the scenic drive through Onomea Bay. It is only a few miles so wasn't too far out of our way. We drove into Waimea one day and went to Parker Ranch and Waipi'o Valley. We also took a drive up the north coast and came down through the Kohala mountains. We saw the King Kamehameha statue and Polulu Valley. It was a very pretty drive. We had lunch at a great restaurant in Hawi called Bamboo Restaurant. We snorkeled with Fair Winds at Kealakekua Bay.

If you would like any other information, let me know. Have a great trip!

Cerlaurie Apr 5th, 2005 12:28 PM

One thing I meant to mention was that we wish we would have planned more down time. We really never went to the beach and had only spent a couple of hours at the pool at each of our resorts. It was our first visit and we wanted to see everything but we spent ALOT of time driving.

suze Apr 5th, 2005 02:16 PM

Good point above! Personally within any one week vacation I plan a couple of activities only, and leave the rest of the time free for the beach, poolside, wandering around, etc. For me this makes for a much more relaxing and interesting vacation. I can't imagine having buy souveniers on an itinerary.

logandog Apr 5th, 2005 05:10 PM

When I visit a major city like New York or London I plan a go-go-go itinerary like the one you have planned for Maui.
Please reconsider your plans and remember why people started going to Maui in the first place. Sitting in a rental car for hours and hours per day is no vacation.

giulietta429 Apr 6th, 2005 06:22 AM

Cerlaurie:
thank you for your suggestions.
So far we don't have much planned for the Big Island. We are splitting our time between 2 nights at a small b&b on the slopes of Holualoa near Kailua-Kona, and 3 nights at the Hapuna Beach Prince hotel on the Kohala coast. We want to spend 1 day at the Volcanoes National Park. We also want to see other national parks (there are 3 more, according to The Big Island Revealed), see the South Point, black and green sand beaches, etc. I understand that vacationing on the Big Island inevitably involves a lot of driving, unless you want to stay at your resort and not see much. We want to see some sights, but plan to spend our last 2-3 days on the beach at Hapuna Prince, especially if we end up doing all the activities we have planned to do on Maui.

giulietta429 Apr 6th, 2005 06:25 AM

To suze:

Well, maybe you cannot imagine having to plan to buy souvenirs, my boyfriend and I both have big families, and our relatives would like some cute little trinkets from Hawaii, I am sure. Whenever our parents go away, they find time to bring us something special, so we wanted to do the same for them, that's all.
Also, I know everyone is looking for different things on vacation. Some people spend incredible amounts of money to stay at ocean view suites, while we choose to spend it doing active things outdoors.

suze Apr 6th, 2005 06:49 AM

guilietta, sorry I didn't mean it to sound that way. I love souveniers myself and buy loads of them. Often even start my Christmas shopping in Hawaii. And Lahaina is a perfect place to do some shopping. My comment was merely extpressing surprise that time needed to be scheduled on a formal itinerary for it.

Zoe19 Apr 10th, 2005 05:30 PM

You should be careful not to overdo it even though it's very tempting when you're plotting out your itinerary. Doing the road to Hana was excellent and am so glad we took the journey, but doing the Halekala sunrise, too (plus snorkeling, boat trip, boogie boarding) was too much to fit into a 5-day trip. You want to be able to experience the fun, relaxation and beauty that Maui offers. A lot of my favorite memories from the trip involved a simple cold beer and a wonderful sunset.

Samson7256 Apr 19th, 2005 11:38 AM

Giulietta429

Have you heard from anyone that has actually completed the zipline eco tour ? I myself was thinking about booking that for my upcoming trip in June but was a little nervous about spending approx $65/person for a tour that I've heard next to nothing about...I haven't even come across a review from anyone who has even completed the tour. Do you have any more info about the zipline ? Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

kamahinaohoku Apr 19th, 2005 01:31 PM

On Day 2 - in order to see the sunrise at Haleakala, you should plan on leaving your hotel about 2am so you get there on time. With all that you have planned for that day, you'll probably sleep through the Feast at LeLe. I'd rethink this.
((S))((*))

weimer Apr 19th, 2005 07:38 PM

Stop and smell the roses Giulietta!

Way too much booked for a short Maui trip. Dump the Atlantis, Luau (you are already doing the Feast) and the zip line. Don't over plan your trip as the Beauty of maui is not in the over priced excursions.

Zoe is right on.

katolb90 Apr 20th, 2005 11:59 AM

Ok this is where I have to chime in regarding my opinions on itineraries. I think its good to have a plan, that way you don't waste a lot of time. If you think you may not be coming to Hawaii again for another 5, 10 or 20 years, I'd say cram everything in that you can. Everyone can't afford to go to Hawaii every year or two.

My Hawaii vacation (half of which is a hiking adventure)is coming up in June and I haven't seen Hawaii in 10 years. I probably won't go back for at least another 10 years. I desperately would like to relax and have loads of beach time, but its just not practical because of all the things I would like to do and see.

Of course because this is going to be a 'busy' vacation I will probably plan a cheaper, shorter relaxing beach vacation in the fall. Maybe you could do something like that if having a relaxing vacation is important to you.

travelenthusiast Apr 21st, 2005 06:46 PM

Definitely eat at the Hula Grill. It was a fun atmosphere with good food. I agree with the opinion that you'll be too tired after Mt Haleakala to enjoy the Feast at Lele. We were exhausted after getting up at 2 AM and when we got back to the hotel, we just crashed. Mama'a fish House was a big hit with my husband. He still raves about the food there.

here_today_gone2Maui Apr 22nd, 2005 04:37 PM

You know, there is plenty time for a nap on the beach between sunrise and dinner time. I'm just saying...

bebalm May 22nd, 2005 11:22 PM

We did the Atlantis Submarine in Nov. 2004. I was skeptical at first but it was a rainy Sunday and we thought it would be interesting. I tend to be a little on the claustrophobic side of things and was concerned that i might have a "freak out" when we were in there. The vessel is VERY tight and there is something a little disconcerning about when they close the hatches. We were able to see lots of fish and they provided quite a bit of information. It was very interesting and all 4 in our party agreed that it was surely worth it. The claustrophobia passed within a minute. They have lots of cool air blowing and that helped the "tightness". On a side note, we did get a kick out of the "submarine sounds" that you hear through the tour. They consist of grinding and bubbling noises that subs often make in movies. About half way through, my husband noted that these sounds were not real, but being played by the "co-captain" on the over head sound system. Then we started getting a kick about how they would talk about technical things and we would see the co-captain hit the play button. Overall i would recommend.

dusty56438 May 23rd, 2005 12:30 AM

I wouldn't change a thing on your Maui itinerary.

Your plan for the Road to Hana and Haleakala sunrise are the only two things that take a great deal of time. But both are well worth it.

Make plenty of stops along the Road to Hana route. The scenery is great. There may not be much for waterfalls in September, but you never know. It's hit and miss and depends on the rain. I've done the trip twice. One time the waterfalls were great, the other time dry or some only to a trickle.

Do a search: Road to Hana
There are many websites that you can explore to find the best places to stop along the route. Some have inexpensive maps you can buy.