Maui Itinerary for Sept.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Itinerary for Sept.

I'm looking for your thoughts, advice, comments, etc. on what I have planned for our upcoming trip to Maui in September. My group consists of two couples in their early 30's that enjoy relaxing, cocktails, food, sunsets, hiking, and adventures. We are staying at a condo just north of Ka’anapali for 8 days. Money is rather tight so we are trying to eat on the cheap as much as possible (Costco and BBQ’s at the condo). One dinner at a nice restaurant is a definite possibility. Plenty of drinks and sunset and the Barefoot bar (and others) is a given… I have my priorities straight. This will be the first time to Maui for all of us. Please let me know what you think of what I have planned!

Saturday – Get in at 10:30, get groceries, and relax on the beach.

Sunday – Snorkel Black Rock, head to Lahaina (Banyan tree and sight seeing), Old Lahaina Luau for dinner.

Monday – hang out, snorkel, swim… head to Ka’anapali to walk the boardwalk, snorkel, people watch – sunset at Hula Grill.

Tuesday – Sunrise at Haleakula Crater, breakfast on the way down, visit south Maui beaches (Big Beach, Wailea), maybe snorkel Fishbowl, La Perouse Bay, Po’olenalena Beach). In the afternoon – visit upcountry Maui or Pa’ia.

Wednesday – Molokini snorkel cruise with Paragon catamaran. Since we are there, visit central or south Maui – whatever we didn’t do yesterday.

Thursday – Take our time on the road to Hana (spending the night there). I figure I’ll leave a little late to let the same dayers make their run and to avoid the morning traffic I hear so much about.

Friday – Hike O’he’o Gulch (all the way) and slowly head back. Maybe see Charles Lindbergh’s grave before we go. No real plans for the rest of the day – maybe visit Pa’ia if we haven’t already done so, sunset dinner at Mama’s Fish House, or ????

Saturday – no plans. I told my wife it was to allow for spontaneity

Sunday – one last snorkel trip and Lava Flow then head home…. And put shoes back on
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM

On your way back from Hana, stop at Haiilimaile General Store instead of Mama's. It's the best restuarant on the island. Sashimi napoleon and pineapple upside cake are must eats!

I'd visit upcountry while you are up there to see the crater. Why drive up there, then down to the beaches and then back upcountry again? Too much driving around.

Dedicate whole day (or more) to south Maui beaches.

Bill
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bill! Great suggestions - I'll follow them all.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM

If you want a cheap, filling, good restaurant in Lahaina, Aloha Mixed Plate (right next to the Old Lahaina Luau) will give you one more day without having to cook, and not much more expensive than barbecuing at the condo. Have a great time!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:25 PM

Yes, if you are on a tight budget forget Mama's, the General Store may be good but by looking at its website not really budget either. If you are in Pai'a try Pa'ia Fish Market - not fancy at all but EXCELLENT fish. If you like fresh tuna make sure you specify the doneness you like - if you don't it may be cooked a little too much - I like it rare I so specified and it was great! I see you like Lavaflows - they will have them Old Lahaina Luau, if you are in Lahaina for a fancy lunch try Pacific'O and they have a fine Lavaflow too!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

I meant to say that you will be glad that you spent the night in Hana...and you might wish you had spent more. Where are you staying in Hana? I collect pottery and highly recommend a visit to Arabella Ark's studio on the way to Kipahulu if you are into to that sort of thing. She specializes in raku fired things.

I really like the town of Makawao. It is a bit lower key that Paia, but more charming and more fun to walk around.

If you're an artsy-fartsy sort this place is worth a look see. There is a small gallery, gift shop and open studios. Very cool place. If I lived on Maui, I'd hang out here a lot. It is just before you get to Makawao on Baldwin Avenue.
http://www.huinoeau.com/

Since it sounds like you might be into cheap eats, the tamales at Maui's Best Tamales up in Pukalani are amazing. We bought a bunch and had a feast of those, a tosed green salad and Roselani ice cream back at the cottage one night for dinner. Best meal of the trip!

There are a lot of positives around here for the Molokini cruise that leaves from the beach at the Maui Prince Hotel in Makena. It leaves early in the morning and takes less time to get out than the others because it is closer. I don't know the name of it, but maybe someone else will chime in. Of course you would have to drive down to Makena to do this, but you said you wanted to explore this area anyway.

Here are the photos of our recent trip.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bquarre/...60762392960841

Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM

I like Millagro's in Paia. Or you could take a little deter and eat in Makawao: Casanova's or Polli's.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:29 PM

I meant detour.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Kealalani

Well let's see pepsi66....hmmm?

I have been to Maui many times and only visited the volcano crater once at sunrise. Ask others but I think a later start to explore upcountry might be in order. I have no desire of heading up hopeful of a sunrise and then dodging the bicicles all the way down. Ask around, but I think a midmorning might be just as nice.

Molokini - I'd save my money and snorkle off the coast of Maui on my own. The rental shop will give you maps of the best places, or if you see a bunch of cars on the side of the road, look to see why they're there!

Old Lahaina Luau - yes

Hula grill for pupus - make it sunset!!!

Have you found lodging for one night in Hana - most require at least 2. If you've found it, go for it. Love that cow ridden country!

HGS beats Mama's in my book. Stop to watch the windsurfers and maybe a cocktail at Mama's and then head to HGS for money well spent.

Check out what hotels offer cocktail hour authentic hula - I know the most talented we saw was at Four Seasons, though I don't recall what night that was....well worth the cost of a well prepared drink and tour of the grounds!

Have fun and with your schedule make room to make it up as you go. Afteer a morning of snorkling at Black Rock you may want to do a partial West side drive, freshen up at the condo and then head to Lahaina for the luau and walk the tourist walk.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
tmt

Would you think of doing the Haleakula sunrise when you are on mainland time - so its easier to get up?

How many nights at the condo? with Hana in between?

Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - you are really going to make our trip so much more complete than if I went it on my own. Great advise and suggestions... it pays to listen to experienced travelers!
I'm hitting up Pacific'O for sure. The General Store cannot be passed up after our trip to Hana. I heard a lot of good things about Pa'ia Fist Market so I'll check that out if at all possible (HailiiMaile General Store comes first).
I intentionally put the trip to Haleakula on Tuesday. I'd like to go sooner to take advantage of the time change (Orange County, CA.), but I really wanted to get the luau in right away to put us in the island frame of mind. I'm sure we all be hung over the next day (Lave Flows) so I didn't want to get everyone up at 2AM on Monday. So there we have Haleakula on Tusday...
Thanks again Bill - great pictures and suggestions. In Hana we are spending one night at the Hale Hana Bay (www.hanamauitravel.com).

Kealalani - good suggestions - thank you.

mahalo everyone!