Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui in May - where to stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-in-may-where-to-stay-489058/)

Julz Dec 3rd, 2004 01:29 PM

Maui in May - where to stay?

I'm going to Maui in May for just 4 nights. Might be four in our party, so we're looking for a place that has two separate bedrooms (2 baths would be a bonus.) We'd like to be directly on the beach, but would like a moderately priced hotel that has on-site restaurant, bar, and nice pool. Don't really want to cook or make our own beds, so a condo doesn't seem right. Would be great if there is shopping, restaurants, maybe a few night spots that aren't too far. Does such a place exist, or do we we need to compromise?

leelane911 Dec 3rd, 2004 02:53 PM

A place with two separate bedrooms, possibly two baths,would be a condo or a cabin, Julz. If it's not, then you're in a hotel. What is your idea of a moderate hotel, i.e., rate per night per room?

Lori Dec 3rd, 2004 05:51 PM

Not sure exactly what kind of place you are looking for. A hotel suite may get you 2 bedrooms but not usually 2 bathrooms unless you are paying major bucks.

There are plenty of condos that come with daily maid service - I know I've stayed in several. You do not have to cook unless you want to, but it is nice to have a kitchen for snacks/drinks/coffee if nothing else.

The Whaler (condo) on Kaanapoli Beach may fit your needs, and have daily maid service. They have 2 bedroom units (also one bedrooms and studios) and there are tons of places to eat right next door (as well as stores/shopping at Whaler's Cove. We love The Mahana, all units are oceanfront (dead on views !!) and they have 2 bedroom units there. They also have one bedroom units with 2 baths, we had one. There is daily maid service as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these places. If you cannot find a condo with 2 bdrm 2 baths to your liking I'd suggest getting 2 studio's instead - that way you are postitive you will have 2 bathrooms.

You will need to compromise a little I think on your accommodations I think, but give a condo some thought.

Julz Dec 4th, 2004 06:10 AM

Thanks for the info! You are right - having kitchen for snacks, breakfast, would be great. The worry that I have about condo is that if we want to go out for drinks at night, we don't want to drive anywhere. Do you know if there are places that could be walked to from the two you mentioned? Someone suggested just getting two room at the Royal Lahaina. Know anything about that? THANKS!!

kc15 Dec 4th, 2004 06:20 AM

We were in Maui for two weeks this past september (for the first time) in my opinion the ONLY place to stay is the Ritz Carlton, you will NOT be disappointed.

heidijo Dec 11th, 2004 05:54 AM

From the Whaler you can walk to many bars. Whalers village, which has shopping, bars and restaurants,is right next door to the Whaler. We stayed at the Kaanpali Beach hotel next to the whaler so I don't know much about the condo's but we loved our hotel. The hotel has a Tiki Bar and free hula show everynight. They are on a great beach.

here_today_gone2Maui Dec 11th, 2004 11:57 AM

The Four Seasons and the Wailea Grand have 2 BR suites, but I doubt they would fall into the "moderately priced" category. On a smaller scale, the Sheraton has two BR suites, as do some of the other hotels.

turn_it_on Dec 11th, 2004 12:31 PM

Did I miss the point at which the Ritz Carlton became moderately priced?

love
roxy