Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui Hotels-Hyatt, Kaanapali Beach or Aston Kaanapali Shores

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Shane

My husband and I are traveling to Maui for the first time this fall. We were leaning towards staying at the Hyatt but have found good deals at Kaanapali Beach Hotel and at Aston Kaanapali Shores. Are these places nice? We don't mind spending more to stay at the Hyatt. Would appreciate recommendations.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Lisa

Shane,
Do yourself a favor and stay at the Hyatt. It is so lovely and far better than the other two places mentioned. You feel like you are in another world at the Hyatt. The grounds are extensive and the feel is very Hawaiian.

The Kaanapali Beach Hotel is older. It seems like a throw back to the 60's. The whale shaped pool is so silly looking and tiny. The grounds are sparse and not much to look at. Always remember that in Hawaii you get what you pay for period. I don't know about the Kaanapali Shores but Aston Hotels I beleive are a three star category so you can go from there.

You can visit wizardpub.com to see the layouts of these different hotels to get a better idea of what you are looking for. If you can afford the Hyatt, then do yourself a favor and go there. You won't regret it.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Jim

Definately the Hyatt!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Postal

The Hyatt, absolutely! The other two pale in comparison.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Albert

We just got back from Hawaii. We spent 5 nights in Oahu and 4 in Maui in the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel (KBH). I would agree that it is older than several of the other establishments in this planned resort area, however the room was large and clean, all staff members were very friendly and filled with the "spirit of aloha" and they offer different classes in lei making and other such things that are free including an introductory SCUBA lesson in their pool.

We had a room with a partial ocean view and a wonderful free buffet breakfast every morning. There was also a nightly free hula show that went on for over 2 hours. Lastly you are in easy walking distance of Whalers Village and its amenities.

If you have the money to burn consider the newer hotel, but if you are trying to remain on a budget (and trust me once you get there you will be spending a fair amount in meals, entertainment and tours), KBH is no slouch.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Ken

The previous posters are right that the Hyatt is preferable to the Kaanapali Beach and the Kaanapali Shores - if money is no object. That is like asking if you prefer hamburger or sirloin !!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:47 PM
dana

Go to the Hyatt.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Carrie

I can't comment on these hotels as when we went we stayed at the Westin, which was very nice but full of kids.

My question is regarding the Aston Kaanapali Shores. We are looking to make another trip and want to stay in a hotel adn definitely NOT a condo. I was under the impression that the Aston properties were all condo rather than full service resort hotels and so was the Whaler. Can anyone confirm or deny for me?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 05:52 PM
lori

My husband and I stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel for our honeymoon back in '88 and I thought it was dated then. The whole time we were there I was wishing that we had stayed at the Hyatt.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Nova

Kaanapali Shores and the Whaler are all condos .

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Beth

Major renovations have been ongoing (different wings at different times) at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel for the past year. Anyone know what its liek now? Are renovations complete? Prices there are still great and wer are looking at staying there.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Lori

The Hyatt is very nice, we have stayed there at lesat 2x. If you really have cash then consider the Four Seasons or possibly the Grand Wailea (the grounds are magnificent but the lower categories of rooms I heard are small). The Fairmont Kea Lani is supposed to be nice too but lots of kids

Do you want to be in Kanapali or Wailea? Wailea is prettier and newer but less convenient to Lahaina. Kanapali is older but near everything, if you want Kanapali, then definitely the Hyatt

Liora