Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui hotel for 20 somethings... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-hotel-for-20-somethings-1049209/)

mflabiano Jun 27th, 2015 11:34 AM

Maui hotel for 20 somethings...

We are going to Maui next March and are taking four 20 somethings (two boys & two girls). Which hotel would be better for them, the Fairmont Kea Lani or the Andaz??? The price is the same. We've never been so we are not sure about the individual beaches or the proximity to "action?" Haha!! THANK YOU in advance for any help as we are torn between the two hotels.

sf7307 Jun 28th, 2015 04:44 PM

Why those two? I've always thought the Kaanapali resort area was more apprpropriate for teens and 20-somethings, becuase of the beach path, Whaler's Village and the proximity of Lahaina. I think Wailea might be a little "sleepy" for them.

toncasmo Jun 28th, 2015 08:36 PM

andaz!!

toncasmo Jun 29th, 2015 09:57 AM

but there is a lot more "action" in Lahiana...sorry I hadn't read whole question at first. andaz was amazing tho and definitely 20 somethings would like it with great beach right in front

FaceInTheCrowd Jun 29th, 2015 10:30 AM

You and your spouse would probably prefer the Fairmont whereas the 20-somethings would prefer the Andaz. But as mentioned, neither is close to the "action".

How many rooms will you be needing (might a condo work better)?

Inakauaidavidababy Jun 29th, 2015 10:43 AM

For the cost of 3 rooms at either, I'd opt for searching out a 3 bedroom condo or home instead to assure a communal space, kitchen, w/d etc

tifa2276 Jun 29th, 2015 01:07 PM

Definitely the Andaz if you want a modern "hip" vibe. They are both very upscale though. Agreed that Lahaina/Kaanapali area has more "stuff" around and more late night activities in Lahaina...although I wouldn't rule out Wailea. It's proximity to Kihei with it's low-key bars, restaurants, and shops may appeal to them...and Monkeypod Kitchen in Wailea had a fun young vibe. Also there are the shops at Wailea, which is an upscale mall, not unlike Whalers.

The beach at the Andaz was very nice, soft sand and they will set up chairs and umbrellas for you.

Though I have not stayed there, the Fairmont has all-suite rooms which is nice so it's definitely more spacious.

Wailea is also near Makena - Big Beach is wonderful for all ages!

ChiSue Jun 30th, 2015 11:37 AM

I'd want a 3BR condo -- or a 1BR for you plus a 2BR for 'the kids'-- within one condo complex.

Either Wailea or Kaanapali would suit. Lahaina has bars and restaurants. Kihei has bars and restaurants. (We presume ages over 21?) Both areas have good beaches. South Maui is a more convenient base from which to tour the whole island and may have better ocean conditions in late winter. You'll see whales from all over the island.

How do you plan to get around? Will the 'kids' have a car? (Under 25's will pay more insurance.) Staying Maui is less about nightlife than Waikiki, and you need 'wheels'.

I'd look at Honua Kai in Kaanapali and Wailea Beach Villas in Wailea. Few condos charge daily resort fees or parking fees. These can add $100 a day per room.

March is *busy*. Reserve your vehicle(s) now, while you search for lodging. If you want to attend a luau, reserve that, too. Plan any snorkeling expeditions and whale watches.

Inakauaidavidababy Jun 30th, 2015 01:02 PM

A 1 and 2 bdrm condo combo is a great suggestion and will open up options.

mauiguide Jun 30th, 2015 08:40 PM

Andaz all the way. BTW order the perfect cocktail from Archer at the bar. You can thank me later. The beaches on the south side are a lot nicer.

You could also stay at a private place like this right above Wailea: http://www.southmauihideaway.com/

Action? It's Maui, there isn't much action except a whole lot to do outdoors and no matter where you stay, you'll need to drive to the "Action".

Most of Kaanapali is run down. Unless you go out to the Ritz. But that's kind of out of the way.

ALOHA