Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui---helicopter tours, worth it? If so, which company?

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I have done a search on this topic but couldn't pull up much information. We will be in Wailea for the second portion of our honeymoon in January. We would both like to take a helicopter tour if it is worth the $$$. And if you think it is worth it, which tour did you take?
Thanks so much in advance. Aloha!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:51 PM

It is NOT worth it. It was a total waste of money for us. The mountains are not luscious like I thought and you see an occassional tiny (looks tiny) waterfalls that felt like it did not have enough water. What would of been better is to actually see all the resorts from the ocean but that was restricted. The volcano was a joke.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:51 AM

Are you only going to Maui? The helicopter tours on Big Island and Kauai are both highly recommended by the Wizard Publishing books but not Maui so much. Also they say that the Maui tours are actually more expensive. Maui seems to have the most variety of things to do on the island. The Maui Revealed book is great!
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Slw

We took the Black Beauty helicopter on Maui a couple of years ago. We really enjoyed it. We saw parts of Maui that we wouldn't have seen otherwise and enjoyed seeing the relationships of areas. This tour also spent quite a lot of time flying around the island with the old leper colony - sorry, can't remember the name just now - and it was beautiful and lush. It was expensive but we thought it was money well spent.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I am sorry 996tt that your experience was unsatisfactory.
I did just buy the Maui Revealed book, but haven't a chance to go through it completely yet. I was only browsing through it at the bookstore but ended up buying it because it just had so much useful information.
Thanks again for your responses, and yes, we are only going to Maui.
Happy travels!