Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui helicopter tours-which one? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-helicopter-tours-which-one-407878/)

jwnismo Mar 7th, 2004 08:51 AM

Maui helicopter tours-which one?

On gohawaii.com's website, I found three different helicopter tours which basically all do very similar tours. I'm especially interested in the island circle tour (or deluxe circle tour as some call it). There is Blue Hawaiian, Alexair, and Sunshine helicopters. All fluctuate between saving about $35 per person. The Alexair even says you get a free flight video with certain flights. Blue Hawaiian (the most expensive) shows the exact flight path, but the others look very similar to that.

My question is, how do I know which one to take? I would appreciate anyone's comments, good or bad, on any of these. If anyone has any experiences they'd like to share, please do so. Mahalo!

JohnD Mar 7th, 2004 10:42 AM

We flew with AlexAir in 2001 and they gave us a prerecorded video of a different flight with close ups of waterfalls etc. There were 4 passengers and once pilot and I was able to videotape the flight with my camcorder. We received a discount by booking through an activities broker on in Lahaina. Flying over Haleakala and Hana were very interesting regions as were some high interior waterfalls. Suggest you check Maui Revealed for comparison of companies and search online for safety records. :S-

MinnieNo1 Mar 7th, 2004 02:40 PM

We've gone with Sunshine helicopters twice (and got the same pilot in 2 different years). We took the Hana/Haleakala flight and wouldn't do it again. Too much "fly time" and not a lot to look at on the way up to the top. And it was WAY!!! up to the top. Way too far for me. But we have also take the West Maui/Molokai trip and would like to do it again on our next trip. Lots to see and the pilot (Joe) was very talkative. We had to buy both of our videos, but they were of our trip with a special shot of each of us taken sometime during the trip.

stellaluna Mar 7th, 2004 03:13 PM

took the Hana/Haleakala tour with Air Maui this past December. because of all the wet weather the waterfalls were spectacular. we sat in the front with the pilot and a family of four sat in the seats behind us. i had never been in a helicopter before so i have nothing to compare it too, but we enjoyed what we saw and were glad that we did it. everyone at Air Maui was very nice and totally professional.

miscrapper Mar 7th, 2004 08:46 PM

MINNIE - did you sit up front or in back on your flight? Do you remember which type of helicopter you had. DH and I leave tomorrow for Oahu - we will be in Maui thursday and are thinking of doing the W Maui/Molokai flight - we would love to be up front but it would cost $700 and we are not sure we should spend that much! I think we can go for less on an Astar without guaranteed up front seating.

Solo Mar 7th, 2004 11:35 PM

My dad, brother and I did the Blue Hawaiian tour. I did research prior, and it seemed to have the best safety records (my big concern). We were very happy with the trip, and would definitely recommend it.

Have a great time!

MinnieNo1 Mar 8th, 2004 08:41 AM

On the West Maui/Molokai trip I sat up front with the pilot, so the view was spectacular. My husband and another couple sat in the back. There really weren't any bad seats. However, keep in mind they seat you according to weight distribution so you really don't have a say in where to sit. I was very pleased with Sunshine. Remember-cheapest in a helicopter isn't always the best. I would try to check out their safety record if at all possible, but I know of no problems with Sunshine.