Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Maui, Hawaii Honeymoon on a budget $300 a night (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/maui-hawaii-honeymoon-on-a-budget-300-a-night-767482/)

AshleySquarePeace Feb 14th, 2009 06:15 AM

Maui, Hawaii Honeymoon on a budget $300 a night

My name is Ashley i am looking to have my honeymoon in august for 1 week. (7 nights, 8 days)

We dont care if we stay on beacjfront property or not we want to stay near Lahaina or Ka'anapali. (West Maui)
All we care about is staying somewhere nice and affordable we are looking at spending between 250 to 300 dollars a night for our hotel acommidations. the ideal price for dinner for us is 30-60 dollars a meal and extra for drinks.

We want to rent two scooters for mabye two or three days of the trip but we are renting a car for the whole trip.

we want to go to the "Old Lahaina Luau" and also do the "Moliokini Snorkel Cruise".

We are looking at spending anywhere from 100 to 300 at the most anight for dinner and activities.

We are a young fun couple between the ages of 24-26.
we live in Upstate New York.

Does any one have any ideas where we should stay? and what we could do for fun and romance?
Where did you go?

Thanks for your Help,
Ashley Sqaure Peace

ksucat Feb 14th, 2009 08:55 AM

Ashley..
Did you check out Expedia.com ?
I just did a quick glance in August for a week in Maui for hotel only and the Ritz-Carlton was $347 a night but can be cheaper if you do the flight/hotel/car package.

Don't know if you have already purchased separately.

I have stayed at the Ritz, Westin, Sheraton, Grand Wailea and several condos and they have all been great experiences.
$30-60 for dinner in Maui can be cutting it close but can be done with happy hour deals, shrimp trucks and local fare.
Also check direct with the hotels.

Marginal Feb 14th, 2009 10:15 AM

I've never seen a shrimp truck on Maui. They don't have any shrimp farms there that I know of.

ksucat Feb 14th, 2009 10:40 AM

it wasn't Gio's on North Shore in O'ahu but it was a white truck at Makena beach..and I had shrimp..dang, now that I think of it..what was it called..I thought it was a shrimp truck but I was in the water for along time and starving.

LoveItaly Feb 14th, 2009 11:42 AM

Hello Ashley, I noticed you started a second thread regarding your question at 10:36am today. I assume that you couldn't find this thread and thus the second thread. If so to find any thread you have started or any thread you have posted on just click on your name (in blue..right above the title on this thread for example) and all posts of yours will come up on the left side of your screen.

And congralutations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. Hawaii is a special place for a honeymoon.

LoveItaly Feb 14th, 2009 11:42 AM

Oooops, meant to say you have a post on your other thread you will want to read.

AshleySquarePeace Feb 14th, 2009 05:52 PM

Hello and thank you all for your help "ksucat" thank you for looking at expedia i am probly going to use them they seem so far to be one of the best places to book travel from.

You said that you stayed at the "Ritz, Westin, Sheraton, Grand Wailea and several condos." what one if you could have your first honeymoon would you stay at out of all the ones you went to?

We have looked at the Ritz I just didnt think that would be in our price range i guess i was wronge...

We are planning on booking air,hotel,car fair for our stay.i think we could like you said stay at a real nice place for our money.

I have heard alot about these shrimp boats i have never seen one what do they serve "i know it probly is a stupid question but please in lighten me" probly shrimp but what else. im just a city bumpkin...

AshleySquarePeace Feb 14th, 2009 05:53 PM

Thank you "loveitaly" you are a sharp one i cant beleive you noticed that. yes your right i couldnt find the thread i kept trying to hit my name on the top of the screen "you know where it says your logged in but it wouldnt show me this thread i looked on the forums and i seen a few people were haveing this problem" thanks for your help i didnt know i could search from the top of the message pages with anybodys name in blue though thank you so much for the tip it really is helpfull

" i can not believe what a kind community Fodor's really is every one just wants to help people out of the kindness of there hearts thank you all. It's people like you that help the lives of other peoples go smoother thanks again."

Marginal Feb 14th, 2009 07:59 PM

The shrimp trucks are on Oahu,where they serve shrimp in a variety of ways. There are shrimp farms on Oahu, so there is a plentiful source for the trucks.

I've never seen a shrimp truck on Maui.

ksucat Feb 14th, 2009 08:25 PM

Hey Ashley,
It's your honeymoon and I would suggest the higher end hotels like the Ritz..especially at under $300 a night..they usually upgrade you to a nicer room if you are in the garden room since it's your honeymoon.
I love the Grand Wailea and the Westin.
All the best to you!

Marginal..we have had a family home in O'ahu since the early 60's..I know that what I had in Maui wasn't exact like Giovanni's or Kahuki in North Shore but it was similar in Maui at Makena beach..maybe it was a taco truck with shrimp..

AshleySquarePeace Feb 16th, 2009 12:11 PM

Well we have been looking around and we do like the Ritz but the are just really to expensive for a basic room with no extra's...

We are looking at staying at the "Royal Lahaina Resort" we are looking at getting one of the "GARDEN COTTAGE ROOMS"

any body have any information on what they think about this place.

Marginal Feb 16th, 2009 12:38 PM

check for reviews on www.tripadvisor.com

mollmatt Feb 16th, 2009 01:18 PM

You could try Priceline or Hotwire for your hotel. The big resorts on Kaanapali Beach usually go for $150-$175 per night. (Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt)
Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and do some reseach. Honeymooners also probably have a shot at getting upgraded as well...

One piece of advice for your Molokini snorkelling cruise is to plan it for one of the first days you are on Maui. Coming from the east coast means you probably will be waking up really early Maui time for the first couple of days due to the 6 hour time change. Most of the snorkel trips leave early in the AM from the harbor that is back towards the airport, meaning at least a 30 minute drive from Kaanapali.

suze Feb 16th, 2009 01:57 PM

Shrimp trucks serve shrimp ;-) Seriously usually with a side of white rice. Maybe coleslaw, or corn on the cob. As others are saying though, this is an Oahu thing.

In Lahaina there's a casual patio restaurant called Aloha Mixed Plate that serves well... plate lunch (this is usually two scoops white rice, scoop macaroni salad, and a main dish like fried fish or chicken or beef).

The Old Lahaina Luau is excellent. There is also a show called U'lalena that is a cirque-de-sol styled music and dance performance at Myth and Magic Theater.

I'm not sure I'd want to be driving a scooter on the roads of Maui myself.

ElendilPickle Feb 16th, 2009 04:15 PM

>>and what we could do for fun and romance?<<

I've been trying not to post this for two days, but...resistance is futile...
You're on your honeymoon - I think you two can figure out the fun and romance part! ;-)

We're hoping to go to Maui in the next year or so, depending on when my brother-in-law and his fiancee decide to tie the knot. Have a great time!

Lee Ann

ksucat Feb 16th, 2009 05:13 PM

Aloha..
Never stayed at the Royal Lahaina but have been at the beach..very dated in decor but maybe they have brought it up to this decade..
Only want the best for you Ashley and your honeymoon.
Did you check out condo rentals at Kapalua villas?
Google 'One Napili Way'..they have some nice condos a half block away from a fab beach in Napili..
What are your dates so I can do some checking for you..
Some great package deals at 5* hotels with the flight/hotel/car that work out to less than $200 a night.
Mahalo

NeoPatrick Feb 16th, 2009 06:22 PM

"In Lahaina there's a casual patio restaurant called Aloha Mixed Plate that serves well... plate lunch (this is usually two scoops white rice, scoop macaroni salad, and a main dish like fried fish or chicken or beef)."

Ah yes. Love those no carb South Beach diet plate lunches!!!! :)

suze Feb 16th, 2009 07:52 PM

Yup the "plate lunch" concept cracks me up... like one scoop of white rice wouldn't be enough, but you need two AND the mac salad! Yee-haw!!!

suze Feb 16th, 2009 07:52 PM

Oops, sorry for clowning around on her thread.

So who has some good hotel suggestions for Ashley?

AshleySquarePeace Feb 17th, 2009 08:45 PM

do not apolagize for clowning around that is why i like this site it has people like me on it.:-)

We are planning on going to Maui in August probly get there on the 8th or 9th i hope the 8th though.

The reason we were looking at the royal lahaina resort is we like the cottage idea our own love bungalo. As the great ElendilPickle said we are on our honeymoon - we can figure out the fun and romance part starting there.

but seriously we dont really care for all the top of the line decor we love that it is on the beach and we have our own place and lana.

we have that for accomidations and including flight and snorkeling and the luau and the ocean center we can get that all for only 4,331 dollars.

Kenneth really wants to stay on the beach i told him we will be paying out of the but for it but he just answers you only have one hooneymoon. i dont mind staying there and spending that amount of money because it is cheaper than most places on the beach with that kind of solitude we love to have our own place. he used to live in florida on a beach so i think he has grown accustomed.

but hey if any one knows of any where that we can stay close enough to the beach were we could walk to it and save more money please help.
thank you everyone.