Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Jackson Hole-stay in town or out for family of four?

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 08:23 AM
Debbie

Help!!!! We are planning a last minute trip to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole for this weekend(don't laugh-long story!) and want to know if we should stay in town in Jackson or go to one of the places outside of town? We are family of four(two adults and two teenagers-ages 15 and 17).We were able to get some reservations for Yellowstone in West Yellowstone and are in the process of trying to obtain some reservations for the Grand Teton area.If you have any thoughts,comments about anything-please let us know. I have looked in the search on the areas but alot of it is during the ski season so would appreciate any and all help! Thanks-Debbie

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Donna

I was in Jackson in early October. We stayed at the Resort at Jackson Hole (I believe that's the name) in the Teton Village. I'd say it's the nicest in the village, and close to the back-sometimes dirt-road into the park - but if you've got teenagers who will need to wander around on their own a bit, you should probably stay in Jackson.
'

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Donna

Me again - There's a very nice web site will all local accommodation www.jacksonhole.com

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 11:02 AM
Diane

Debbie, you might want to try the Buckrail Lodge in Jackson Hole. We went with our two teens (who were the same ages as your kids when we went)and it was, I'd say, 3 or 4 blocks from the main street in a residential area. It was nice because we did end up splitting up and it was within an easy walking distance yet not on a busy, overcrowded street.

For Grand Tetons, I'd recommend a cabin at Signal Mountain Lodge--we had a fabulous view of Jackson Lake!
Diane

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 06:59 AM
elaine

Debbie,
We vacationed in Jackson and the Tetons last August. Since this trip is last minute (and since Jackson is popular destination) the following are all located in Teton Nat'l Park (you may get lucky w/last minute cancellation):
Jackson Lake Lodge, Jenny Lake Lodge, Signal Mountain Lodge. In town of Jackson, I recall seeing many upscale/attractive 'Best Westerns'. Outside city of Jackson, 'Spring Creek Ranch' seems popular for families. Most of the telephone numbers are incl. in site:
jacksonholenet.com

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 07:21 AM
Captain J T Kirk

Time is a problem, I understand. But keep in mind location. Sprink Creek for instance is a GREAT place, but expensive and a bit of drive south of Jackson (it takes about 15-20 minutes to get into Jackson, which doesn't sound bad, but it adds up). Ditto any place in Teton Village. It's even further outside of town. You need to find a place on the north side of Jackson to make it more convenient to Grand Teton park. Call Jackson Hole Reservations at 800-329-9205, Kathy Hoffman. Website is JacksonHoleRes.COM. Have fun.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 08:11 AM
john

actually, spring creek is only 10 minutes from town (and the distance can be nice if you don't like crowds). The village is 20 minutes. Believe me, I live there part of the year.

I suggest you check out the best westerns (be careful two of them are at the ski hill), the new renaissance hotel, or the Snow King resort (which is in town and seems to be very family-friendly)

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Debbie

Thanks for being so kind to help me out. I can get in at The LODGE(Best Western)in Jackson Hole which is a mile north out of town; the Wagon Wheel Resort across from Elk Refuge;Flagg Ranch;Angler Inn just outside of town on creek;Split Creek Ranch or Snow King.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Any thoughts?
Debbie

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 01:09 PM
John

Take Snow King. it is the nicest of all you mentioned. The Best Western is actually in town, just not in the center. Snow King is closer to the center. Do NOT even consider the Wagon Wheel. Old and decrepit. The Angler is close to the square and sort of quaint, I think, but don't know much about it.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 04:06 AM
elaine

Debbie,
John gave you good advice. We drove into property of Flagg Ranch...verrry rustic and distance to Jackson could be a problem.
Think definitely 'Snow King' as it is a lovely resort, close to everything and your kids won't be bored.
Have a great trip!

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Debbie

The "Travel Gods" were with us last night as we got a last minute cancellation for three days at the Signal Mountain Lodge for next Weekend!!!!!We are very pleased and want to thank everyone. We are still going to try and spend a night or two in Jackson.Do you think that that is too much after being up in the northern half of the Grand Tetons?My thought was that we would do the outdoor stuff up at Signal Mountain and then the eatin,shopping,shootout,etc. while in Jackson.Thanks again for your help. If anyone has been to Signal Mountain-any suggestions that you have for things that you enjoyed while up there? Did you take the raft trips from there,horsebackriding,rent a boat for the lake,etc.?Debbie