Reload this Page >

Maui-Grand Wailea resort-agents won't book

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 1997, 12:22 PM
April

I've been planning a trip to Hawaii using Fodor's Hawaii book. One of the places I picked to stay is the Grand Wailea on the island of Maui. It's one of the top picks for the island, going by the book. However, something may have changed since the book was published, because none of the tour companies and travel agents I called would even touch it. They said it wasn't offered anymore because the hotel decided it didn't need to give tour package discounts or something like that. They said this makes the price of the hotel way overpriced and therefore, not worth it. Anyone heard anything about this?

Old Apr 9th, 1997, 08:38 PM
Monique

I have heard of this as well as tried to book there directly.
They do not take AAA, or any other discounts either so I
to opted not to stay there. We go next week to Kauai,the Big Island
and Maui. We booked Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort
because it was in Conde Nast Gold List and top 100 list
as well as in Fodors.

Old Apr 9th, 1997, 08:38 PM
Monique

I have heard of this as well as tried to book there directly.
They do not take AAA, or any other discounts either so I
to opted not to stay there. We go next week to Kauai,the Big Island
and Maui. We booked Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort
because it was in Conde Nast Gold List and top 100 list
as well as in Fodors.

Old Apr 11th, 1997, 02:13 PM
Steven

April, I ordered their brochure through the net (www.maui.net). I got a 32 page book! It appears to be very expensive1 They charge $60 day for the cabanas by the pools, and $10 a day for the lounge chairs! I recommend you check out the Kea Lani Resort. Fantastic rooms, beautiful grounds, great pools, smaller than the Grand Wailea, so less people. They're also at maui.net. Definitely more bang for your buck. I'd stay there over the Grand Wailea anytime.

Old Apr 11th, 1997, 03:17 PM
ED

The 96 brochure for Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays
was booking the Grand Wailea.We're going there in
August on the recommendations of many people
who have been there and also from people who
live on Maui.They say the pool area is something
to experience.

Good Luck
ED

Old Apr 12th, 1997, 05:07 AM
Scarlet

April, I stayed at the Grand Wailea last year. It was beautiful. But, it would be tough to find a place that isn't. It's a huge resort. It takes forever to get anywhere. The restaurants are big $$$. To get a drink is $3.00 for a soft drink, and a mixed drink is over $8.00! The drinks are very watered down, you could drink them all day and never feel a thing. Your $$ will definately be better spent at a diffeerent hotel. There are alot of very beautiful hotels/resorts. The recommendations above are good ideas. One recommendation: Take the bike ride down the volcanoe. Very safe, easy ride, and breathtaking. You'll end in a town that is "lost in a time warp", and it'll be a fun day. Good Luck and have a great time!!!

Old Apr 17th, 1997, 08:59 AM
bob janson

We stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea right next door to the Grand Wailea. Service etc. could not be beat, hotel staff even brings chilled face towels, spray your body down with chilled Evian, etc. I cannot say enough about the hotel, rooms are large, bathrooms enormous (separate soaking tub & shower),ask for anything and the staff will get it. I Highly recommend the Club floor, private keyed floor, private concierge,several (5?)food servings in private lounge, drinks til late night, private registration. We can't wait to return! Just walk next door to see the Grand Wailea. Four Seasons is also has about 1/3 the rooms of the Grand Wailea, thus more privacy. Most packages offer the Four Seasons!